Thoughts For My Asia Girl

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Have you seen photos of recent amputations to prepare yourself? He's a link to Morgan shortly after we brought him home. It's up to you if you want to look. amputation photo Some greyhounds have significantly more bruising than Morgan did. The first few weeks, the are very restless. It seems like a pain response but Morgan's surgeon says there shouldn't be pain after the first week. In Morgan's case, we found out he doesn't tolerate opiate pain meds (like Tramadol). He pants and paces. Alex was also restless for several weeks and we're not sure why. It does go away. She's not going to need a lot of care. She may need to go out a bit more. If there are steps, she may need help with those.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you Ladybaily I printed out your information, I print everything. I haven't been on Circle of Grey much.

THank you Kris I am prepared for the gruesome 1st look. I have been looking at these photos and the more I can see the better. I am not squimish at all, but I will feel bad that it was me that had this done to her :(

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Don't feel bad...you are doing what you think is best for Asia! It is out of love for your girl, nothing to feel bad for. I hope things go as smoothly as possible for you and Asia. Please know we are ALL sending good thoughts and prayer for you and your sweet girl. :heart

thank you Ladybaily I printed out your information, I print everything. I haven't been on Circle of Grey much.

THank you Kris I am prepared for the gruesome 1st look. I have been looking at these photos and the more I can see the better. I am not squimish at all, but I will feel bad that it was me that had this done to her :(

Yes, it was you, and you did it because you love her and you want her pain free.You have put her needs ahead of your own. I really think that somehow, on some level, they know this. All of you remain tucked in our prayers.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Checking in with prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

They just called me with an update. THey pressed on her bladder to make her pee. I know she can hold it and she does not want to go on the pebbly place in the back of the hospital. She likes grass. She is getting around very well even on their slippery floors. I will get her tomorrow but not likely in the AM, they want to make sure she can pee etc. I think she will at home. So I will come to work and wait for the call and then head down to get her. I hope i can do this on my own, she always gets in the car and lies down.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Continued prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Prayers continue for Asia. :hope

I know she will feel better at home and you will too. :bighug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I think it's very normal to feel 'bad' that you 'did this' to the dog in question. Logically we know why we did it but it's certainly difficult to reconcile when you're feeling low. I still get times when I feel that way about 'doing it' to Darcy but I know that without having done it, she'd simply not be here.

Prepare yourself for a few rough days when she gets home Audrey. Not necessarily that rough for Asia but for you. It's normal and it will pass :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Vinnie

To add to the hand feeding thought when they are not up to getting to their dish to eat and/or drink even - when we really wanted Vinnie (or even now with Gus & Gracie) to take time eating (I was and am, still terrified of bloat) we would feed him piece by piece with a fork and/or a spoon - they have to be gentle to take the food so this slows them down and this way you don't get quite as messy.

We also kept a fan and a blanket nearby in case he was cold or hot - we could immediately make him more comfortable.

Also, Vinnie absolutely loved ice cubes - it kept him hydrated and he looked at it as a treat (Gus, Gracie and even their Uncle Higgins in our office continue this habit now). I am always thirsty and have a cup of ice with me so now they just look at it as if I am carrying their royal chalice and that it is no longer my cup or my ice :lol

So glad you and your hubby will be able to be there with her for the transition period. Continued prayers along with hugs and scritches.

Guest LadyChester

Glad the news is positive. It will be wonderful when Asia is home with you and Bob. You're doing ALL the right things for your special gal :grouphug

Just wanted to add some hugs :grouphug

We're thinking about you guys

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

You've gotten some great info and advice! Isn't GT awesome? I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but she may have some edema in the other leg. Some swelling like this is normal, and usually a warm compress helps. I remember this because someone on CoG rushed her girl to the vet because of that swelling, and was told this. Also, a little seepage is normal too, but fluid can be a breeding ground for bacteria, so you'll want to keep a close eye on her incision. I think they all process anesthesia and pain meds differently. I know after my surgery a few weeks ago, I asked the nurse if I could stop taking the vicodan. It made me so nauseated. And I felt better, even with the pain, after I stopped. Of course, I was able to tell someone this, and Asia can't. So just remember that some of the things she'll be doing in those first few days home---panting, restlessness--- will pass.

You sound like you've done everything you can to prepare for this, and to take the best care of your girl.

Remember, we're all right here---waiting for updates---whenever you need us.

Every night, she's in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Checking in on Asia and you. Sounds like she's doing so well already, walking on the slippery floors and all! :clap

You sound like you're pretty well prepared, on the practical level, and are working hard on the emotional level. Excellent! :)

Isn't it great to know that at any time of the day or night, you can turn to GT for advice, a calming voice or just a distraction? We're so here for you!

:bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.