The Road To Kodiak - Underway As Before

Jeff

Last night they had a special on the Travel Channel on Alaska. They made it look so clean, and amazing. They breezed by with a mention of Kodiak. And I am sure they did not go anywhere near your rental house. :ph34r

The Girls

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kodiak is not clean. Way too many dirt roads to be clean. Way too much fishing to be clean.

It finally started to rain rain last night instead of just light and drizzle - I can now see that my car really is gray. It's been covered in dirt since about 10 minutes after we got it off the boat here.

I can wash it and within 5 minutes it will be covered again.

The pretty clean parts are the parts people don't live/work.

So now that you're there, Trudy, any thoughts on how living in Kodiak will impact your treat business? And I imagine your career prospects on Kodiak are pretty slim, so how will you be spending the next couple of years, particularly those stretches when Jeff is out at sea? Met any people you think you could hang with?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Sounds like she should start a property rehab business.

<ducking and running ... but not too fast because she's a looooooooooooooooong ways away>

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

These damn roads are going to eat my car.

Heavy rain... not good for dirt roads. The pot holes they just filled in 2 days ago... back with a vengeance!

Heavy rain in paved roads with deep routes... like driving in a river!

I went to pick stuff up for dinner tonight - in a total of 3 places. 2 of the places (one was for a bottle of wine.... our stuff is in storage until the house is ready, so no access to my wine) can not figure out how the hell to do unit pricing. I saw so many that were wrong. Lots said $0.05 per ounce - Nope.

Found one that said $26.99 per pound for Pancetta. So I said screw that for dinner and went with something cheaper.

While driving back to the B&B I realized that was wrong... 6 ounce package was $4.99.

Maybe a pound here is more than 16 ounces??

Guest Redrabbit

Someone call HGTV - this looks like the start of a new reality series - fixing up housing for the dedicated folks in our military service!

Kodiak should be a one year unaccompanied/isolated tour. No reason to make dependents live like this.

One year for everyone, have 'adequate' base housing for all.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Kodiak should be a one year unaccompanied/isolated tour. No reason to make dependents live like this.

One year for everyone, have 'adequate' base housing for all.

Did it used to be, once upon a time? Or has it always been accompanied?

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

I'm still waiting to hear the review of the Mexican food....

More like eskimo pie reviews. :rofl :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest Dragonmom
as far as I know, it has been accompanied. Only a few of the Alaskan LORAN stations and Asian billets are unaccompanied. Kodiak should be included.

are you telling me that if someone in the us military is posted someone where the spouse HAS to go?

kodiak was accompanied when i was there in the early '70's (i wasn't married at the time tho). base housing was fairly primitive (at least for my CWO's, he had a wife & twin daughters living there), looked like they had been there since ww2. he moved once to bigger quarters, cleaned his place spotless, had a white glove inspection, failed twice, moved in to the new place, it was filthy - almost as bad as what you'd described, wonder how the last occupant got thru the housing inspection, so they wound up cleaning again too.

sounds like the roads haven't changed much. the road from the base into kodiak has (had?) a couple really sharp bends, with a sheer drop of a few zillion feet into the bay on one side, and a sheer cliff going up a few hundred feet on the other, which i went thru one night at about 70 mph, caught the gravel accumulated in the bend, spun around twice, flipped and wound up on the side of the car & had to climb out the passenger window. luckily ended in the shallow ditch against the cliff face rather than going over the edge. pushed my car back onto the wheels (had help from a passer-by) and aside from a few scratches in the paintwork it was fine & i drove on home to the BOQ.

i had a Saab Sonnet, sports car with fibreglass body & tubular aircraft steel frame, full skid pan, self sealing aircraft style fuel tank, radials, front wheel drive, i loved it. went to a CG off-base xmas dinner/party out in the boonies of kodiak one winter, it started snowing & by the time it was time to go home, there was about 6in. normal cars were getting stuck, and i had no trouble at all, even pulled a few out of the snow and back on to the road. there was a stuck 4wd jeep that couldn't get out of it's drift that i pulled out with my 1500 lb. saab two seater! i did have chains i put on the front tires which helped.

anyway, best of luck. hope trudy gets along with the officer's wives club crowd, they can make life bearable (or not) hope you like salmon and crab, they're cheap (if you catch them yourself ;) )

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest Honeysmom
Last night they had a special on the Travel Channel on Alaska. They made it look so clean, and amazing. They breezed by with a mention of Kodiak. And I am sure they did not go anywhere near your rental house. :ph34r

I also saw part of the special on Alaska. They did make it look so beautiful :dunno

Guest IrskasMom

Trudy and Jeff ..... I hope you are not totally down in the Dumps and out in the Wilderness in the middle of nowhere. We

are here for you ( Extended Family ) and listen. Are Things looking at all up ????

10 day forecast... RAIN

That doesn't mean good things for dirt roads.

And who the heck wants to have to work in the yard - clean up pallets that are falling apart and left over bark so we can put down new pallets and get a few cords of wood - in the RAIN??

But it looks like we are going to have to do that now.

So no, not really looking up yet, it looks cold, bleak and rainy!

Guest ArtysPeople

I'm not sayin' you should, but you always could set the Wikipedia record straight on Kodiak. For example, under "Climate and culture" it sounds like you guys have a lot to add. :ph34r

It means bringing family or not.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I'm not sayin' you should, but you always could set the Wikipedia record straight on Kodiak. For example, under "Climate and culture" it sounds like you guys have a lot to add. :ph34r

:lol Sounds to me like Jeff and Trudy better get busy huntin' fishin' and berry pickin' if they want to keep up with the Jones'.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg