The Road To Kodiak - Underway As Before

Jeff

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owner is stationed in OH. He's hoping to transfer back up here in a few years.

So he hasn't actually seen it, just the images we put in the photobucket album for him to look at.

Tomorrow we'll head back over with notepad and camera in hand to write down all the issues and take pics of everything

I bet he was sick when he saw the way his property had been treated, you are very smart to take note of everything so when you move out you don't get blamed for anything.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest FrostyBottoms
Trudy...Jeff...I found a different house for you...your new home

Here are more pics of that one - looked at it online yesterday

http://soldonkodiak.com/index.php?option=c...4&Itemid=26

Thanks! I was disappointed there was only 1 photo! WOW! Was that a crab on the wall? That was quite a view from the master bedroom! Dh told me to tell you that you should do it for the dogs...they deserve it. :lol

Let's see... Greytalk has how many active members?

How much do each of you want to pony up to help with the purchase and keeping it up until we can find some other sucker to buy it in 2 years?

Trudy, I see a new career for you in property management. There would probably be many absentee landlords who would like someone to manage their properties, at least at the beginning and exit of a lease, plus being hired by others like you who are coming in and need someone to look out for their interests. Not doing the scuz work, but making sure it gets done.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Wow... Im appalled at the condition of the house you guys are renting! I was glad to read that the landlord is working with you guys and getting it cleaned up! Should we start a two year ticker downward?

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

What a letdown. That's what you get for visiting New Yawk City just before you left. Now you know what good Pizza tastes like.

You and Trudy are welcome here anytime. I'll even take you to the good Pizza joints.

When will your furniture and truck arrive?

Paul & Sonja

Oh yeah, and the Pizza Hut in Kodiak...

It looks like a Pizza Hut

It says Pizza Hut.

But it sure does not taste like Pizza Hut!

Paul with Bill & Elmo & angel Happy

in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY

Guest KateWantsaGrey

holy smokes. I haven't checked in in a few days and hadn't seen any of the pictures yes. That literally made my head spin, like when something takes you so off guard you get light headed. WOW. I really hope that cleaning crew can get in there any make some magic happen with that place. Cleanliness aside, how is the layout of the house? How about the size of the rooms and stuff? Is that all pretty good? Are the bathrooms in good shape (ie, newer tubs and stuff, or is everything all rotted out and gross?) Do you think the house will be insulated enough in the winter?

Went by again tonight to make sure the keys we had made worked. The cleaning person was already there working and getting a head start :)

Truck is already here... but I can't pick it up until Monday. Seems the only pick up times are Mon 1pm-4pm and Tues 2pm-6pm. Very odd, that they are not open for business other times. Lots of goods coming and going.

Household goods should arrive Monday evening, and be ready for release Tues or Wed, but we won't have them delivered until the house is ready.

By then, our express shipment should be here too. Did we ever post about the 'express' shipment mess?

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Went by again tonight to make sure the keys we had made worked. The cleaning person was already there working and getting a head start :)

Truck is already here... but I can't pick it up until Monday. Seems the only pick up times are Mon 1pm-4pm and Tues 2pm-6pm. Very odd, that they are not open for business other times. Lots of goods coming and going.

Household goods should arrive Monday evening, and be ready for release Tues or Wed, but we won't have them delivered until the house is ready.

By then, our express shipment should be here too. Did we ever post about the 'express' shipment mess?

I don't think so. Do share.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Express shipments are

Things like a few pots/pans, dishes. A vacuum so you can have it when you leave your old place, and have it in the new place to make sure it is clean for your stuff.

Dog stuff, fish stuff, my uniforms and things I wanted to ensure were here before I get underway. Also the deflated and boxed air mattress we were sleeping on the last week in the NY house. Our shipment was 330 pounds, and that included the wooden shipping crate. Probably only 150 pounds of actual 'stuff'

The morons who packed it, did not look at the itemized list we gave them, so they brought a huge crate that was only 1/3 full. They wanted me to sign the security sealing stickers, and the paper saying they were attached, but not actually put them on, until they took my stuff, and repacked it in a smaller crate.

I refused.

So they sealed it all in the huge crate.

They then proceeded to tell the Military shipping office that the shipment contained a bed and mattress (as above, furniture is forbidden from express shipments)

The shipping office then changed the shipment without notifying me; from express to slow boat to china kodiak. The arrival changed from 27 June to 25 August! :eek

I found this out about an hour before we entered Canada, and had to fix it over sparse cell phone and email connections. It finally got returned and redirected to an express shipment with a new delivery date of 9 July. Much better than 25 August, but I would like to have that stuff already, and if they didn't screw it up, I would have had it.

Here you can see the huge crate as it was being sealed by morons, if you can find a mattress in here, please let me know!

express_shipment.jpg

Sheesh. You guys must be wondering what the hell will go wrong next.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm glad the landlord has agreed to pay for all that stuff to be done. I bet he was pretty horrified to see the state of his house. Maybe he will be able to bill the previous tenants (not that that is any of 'our' concern).

So - what colour paint are you choosing? :D

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest greybookends

OH the stories I could tell you about military movers, but I'd rather not frighten Trudy. The worst was when we came back from Korea. I think my mother actually cryed over that one. I hope everything gets there safe and sound. I'm glad you found a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Guest IrskasMom

Trudy and Jeff ..... is there a Military Installation like PX and Commisary ?? That sure would help with Grocery-Bill and

perhaps Dogfood and Treats.

BTW ..... we are still fascinated with your Reports and Pics.

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest FrostyBottoms
Let's see... Greytalk has how many active members?

How much do each of you want to pony up to help with the purchase and keeping it up until we can find some other sucker to buy it in 2 years?

Well, i said I'd pitch in another $10...but I'll up that if you get any other takers...all you need is $100 from each of the $15k members of GT. :colgate

Jeff...I am glad you are documenting everything! Including the shipping guys packing your box....I had to videotape my washer when it was making a loud noise in order for Sears to actually fix it!

Hey that fancy house even came with a playmate for Jet and Ryan!! Did you see the bed in the middle of that gigantic master suite? Kind of like an island just floating in the middle. Very strange - it would make me uncomfortable to sleep. And for 1.5 million, where is the indoor in ground pool? Did I miss it?

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest IrskasMom

But I see possibility's for Money beeing made in Services. What do they need most ??? A Coffehouse for all the Kodiak

Residence to meet or a nice ( not Mcd's ) Burgerplace to hang or a Carwash, :P:P:P or a fancy Beauty/Spa Shop for the Lady's

of Kodiak or what else?????

I tried to prepare myself for the worst.. (hope for the best, prepare for the worst) buy Kodiak is much worse that I could have ever imagined. This place seems to be a huge craphole. Like a huge slum. I really can't imagine people enjoy living like this. So run down, so crappy. I have a 'reasonable' standard of living, and this place sure does not meet it, not even close. 2 years, is only 2 years, but hold crap!

It is not beautiful, it is a run down slum.

Went by the place we intended to rent, and it was disgustingly filthy. Surrounded by outdoor kennels with unbearable noise. Trash in the yard, and adjoining yards. Fenced but not safe to let the dogs off lead due to debris covered by months of uncut weeds.

Spent a good portion of the afternoon just driving around, and filth is everywhere. Not really any paved residential roads, just potholes everywhere. Unpaved roads may be fine in parts of the country that do not see as much moisture as Kodiak, but they do not do well here at all.

I've been to 3rd world countries that are ten fold better/nicer. It is really that bad here.

sounds familiar from when I lived in Fairbanks

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

we will take care of the yard. No biggie there. It seems there is no residential trash pick-up on the island. There are just big community dumpsters which we will put a bunch of stuff in.

I'll also take care of the other little stuff (new lights, etc) and deduct that from the rent.

you can start doing some dumptser diving!

That was a highlite when I lived in Fairbanks (at least that's what I was told, I never did it)

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

There is a small CG exchange and small CG Commissary here.

Can't do all the shopping at the Commissary, as it is pretty limited, but the stuff they do have there is much cheaper than in town.

Shopping will be a 2 or 3 store/stop adventure now.

Guest lauri

WOW!!!

I thought I was a slob! :huh

Well...that mess gets you days and days at a B&B. Almost like a vacation! (?)