The Road To Kodiak - Underway As Before

Jeff

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When do you have to report for duty? Will you get your uniforms before then (you mentioned they were in the "express" shipment)?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I reported in on Friday to get the lodging allowance (money for the B&B started)

I'll go back in tomorrow for a bit, then hopefully take off 10 days or so to get things done.

I had my old office mail me some uniforms that I wore between the time my express shipment left and we did.

So I have one dress uniform and 2 work uniforms. Enough to get me by until the express shipment gets here, which will before we head out to sea.

Would not have had enough for an almost 4 month deployment that is coming up.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Try 1 at getting a photo of a bald eagle yesterday. Well, try 2 really. First try was in the Yukon and we couldn't get the camera out quick enough.

Through the window of the car.

We will still have about 3289323 more trys ahead of us though :)

IMG_3520.jpg

They are actually still in the car a bit - we'll be in a hotel room tonight and then back to the B&B tomorrow until 12 July when we hope to have our stuff delivered and at least partially unpacked and in our own house.

But we have been taking them with us when we leave the B&B as this room is kind of small - the one we go into tomorrow night when we come back has much more room for us all and we can leave them more while we run around and find things.

Jet is still running to the car every chance she gets. She's not so sure that we are home yet :lol

Just shocking that someone would leave a house in that condition. I can't imagine they got any of their security deposit back! I'm so bummed for you guys - it's got to be such an incredible shock to come upon things the way they are. But, the silver lining is a great one, and it's also great that the owner is footing the bill. I couldn't see if the yard was fenced?

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

Guest IrskasMom

Ohhh Trudy , I feel for you when Jeff is deployed for what ..... 4 Month omg . Hopefully by then everything will be in Place and

you can spend some time to get aquainted with Nature ,People and where to walk your Houndies. Does Kodiak have a

Puplic Library , hopefully thou.

We are over at the new house taking pictures and documenting things.

No power, no cable, no phone, but I am surfing... Thanks neighbors! :lol:lol

:lol A little unsecured network action going on there? :P

Wow - the house situation sucks! Glad you've got a cleaning crew working on it!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest twofinegreys
We are over at the new house taking pictures and documenting things. No power, no cable, no phone, but I am surfing... Thanks neighbors! :lol:lol

:rofl Good one! I think I'm the only one with my wireless modem locked down in my 'hood.

Guest IrskasMom

Been checking on you Guys . How are things coming together ???? Still total disarray ??? :huh:huh:huh

Guest ArtysPeople
We are over at the new house taking pictures and documenting things.

No power, no cable, no phone, but I am surfing... Thanks neighbors! :lol :lol

OMG, I hope you're not sitting on that floor!! I've been renting in college towns and elsewhere for close to 15 years, and I've NEVER seen anything quite that disgusting.

Moving to Kodiak is a bit more extreme than moving to Maine, but not by much. It takes some time, but you'll figure out how to live there, too. In the meantime, keep the horror stories coming. :P

Guest Hannah

So is the Wall Mart trailor prize a ticket to go out to alaska and spend a week cleaning and decorating for you :lol

I have really enjoyed the journey and am sorry the ending was grotty and grimey, even student digs never looked that bad - well except one that had roaches and mice and rats roaming happily about the place in broad daylight.

Can't wait to see the after photos

Guest Redpack

Have you met the neighbors yet? The ones with the big dogs? You need to start a new thread...Guess "Escape from Kodiak" would be asking too much...."Finding Home in Kodiak?" I am so sorry you are miserable. Wish there was something we could do. Can we do that $100 payment in installments?

Guest ProudGreyMom
So not impressed! Can't believe people live like this.

More later when we get a chance to see a bit more, and let it sink in a little.

Uh-oh, I hope you find some things to make it feel like home soon.

$600 for cleaning??? I'd have thought just the Clorox itself would have been $200!!!

Hang in there.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

When I viewed my house before buying it, it was clean. 45 days later when I got the keys I went in the night before moving day and was horrified at how dirty it was - I don't think the sellers (married couple, 3 kids, 2 dogs) cleaned at all between the sale agreement and the closing. I was so embarrassed to have friends and family coming over the next day that I stayed all night scrubbing floors, walls, everything. Nothing like wiping a stranger's pubes out of the bathtub... :puke

It was not even comparable to the condition your place is in, though. I hope the cleaners and painters completely transform it for you. As for scummy neighbors...just figure that you're bringing up the class of the neighborhood with your very presence. Nice houses attract nice neighbors :)

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

When I viewed my house before buying it, it was clean. 45 days later when I got the keys I went in the night before moving day and was horrified at how dirty it was - I don't think the sellers (married couple, 3 kids, 2 dogs) cleaned at all between the sale agreement and the closing. I was so embarrassed to have friends and family coming over the next day that I stayed all night scrubbing floors, walls, everything. Nothing like wiping a stranger's pubes out of the bathtub... :puke

Wow... my realtor had me meet her at the house right before the closing to make sure it was still in good condition.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Guest FullMetalFrank

I have to say I am pretty appalled at the condition of the house; it's just outright dirty. When I used to be a renter, one thing I always did was to clean the place to look as good or better than when I took possession, looks like you guys won't have to aim very high there, LOL! When I moved into this house, it was so incredibly clean; I think they even mopped the cement garage floor. Also my last house, even though it was purchased from a reconveyance company (it was a foreclosure) was fairly clean.

But, I am sure it will look a whole lot better with a professional cleaning and some new paint. I wish it were so easy to fix up the neighborhood, though... Oh, well, at least it is not forever...

Jeff Trudy Oh my god what a horrible way to end that exciting road trip of yours. Its like you took a wrong turn in Albaquerque (?)

Be careful where you eat out, if these people are pigs in the way they live I would not trust the kitchens anywhere! Are there roaches in Alaska?

Are the dogs in the area threatening? Will you have to worry about any dogs hurting your babies? Are they loose everywhere when they are not ties in a truck?

Can you come back sooner than 2 years?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest EMcElfresh

I hate dirty renters - I always seem to inherit their messes - the current place I live in had PEE on the bathroom walls from the floor to waist height - seems the guys living there before me woke in the night to pee without ever opening their eyes...disgusting. Oh - and they let their little chi's (and I don't have anything against little dogs, I have a chi mix myself) poo everywhere they wanted...sick!