Odd Behavior

Nevada is my 15+ year old sweet girlie with Cushings disease. Her health is generally failing & we are basically just keeping her comfortable. She still eats well, although very thin, & still enjoys going for 2x daily walks (very slow).

Lately she has been doing something very odd. Yesterday I came home from work & found her wedged between my computer table & the bookcase. She was barking & crying to get out. She was stuck. No injuries though thankfully.

So, this morning I "doggie proofed" the places I thought she could get stuck in. Today I find her between the recliner & the wall- happy as a clam. Again no injuries.

What the heck is she doing? Trying to hide? Or is this probably part of doggie dementia as I suspect? :unsure

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

She sounds like such a sweetie. :wub:

I wonder if she has an instinct or sixth sense that her time is short and she is looking for a den or some such to get into. Kind of like when an elderly person no longer wants to leave the house.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I wonder, too, if she's looking for a den of sorts. My little senior who's in the same age range has periods of forgetfulness... like will walk behind a bush in the yard and just stand there for the longest time doing nothing. She has a tendency to slip on the tile then can't get up and is stuck. To protect her, I created a large x-pen area with bedding, tons of potty pads (I swear she's on a mission to kill my washer and dryer), and her food dishes. She's happy in her space when I'm not there to supervise her movements. Perhaps something like that would work for your sweet Nevada?

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Denning up. Usually a dog will do it when frightened or uncomfortable (perhaps mentally) in some way. Any unusual noises in your neighborhood/home? changes in temperature?

Sending hugs to yourself and your sweet gallant girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No advice, just sending gentle hugs Nevada's way.

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

do you have a crate? maybe she would be more comfortable having a safe haven to hang out in :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Cris_M

At first read, I thought doggie dementia. But, rereading brought up the fact that she was "happy as a clam" when she wasn't stuck. Usually, I think of a dog with dementia being pretty spacey about where they are and how to get out. The dog might or might not be stressed and anxious, but he surely isn't "happy as a clam".

Is there a chance she is losing either her vision, hearing or sense of smell? I've found that as dogs lose those faculties, they often enjoy having a smaller world that feels safer to them.

Lots of hugs for you and Nevada.

Guest Winterwish

I don't have any ideas to add,but Oh,what a precious girl, :kiss2:wub: I didn't realize Nevada was over 15! I can just imagine how much you love each other. :):heart

Nevada is a cool name!

My dog had some dementia when I had him put down--he was 12 and had a painful tumor, but when I realized he was literally losing his mind my heart just broke. What he would do was what I call the 1,000 yard stare. He'd stand at the edge of the woods, and normally would have charged in to look for squirrels or do his business, and just stare--as if he knew somewhere back in his memory he was supposed to be excited, but couldn't remember by what or what to do.

My father has Alzheimer's, and I see the same kind of helpless freezing--he knows he wants or needs something, but he can't remember what or how to get it.

She sounds like a lovely old lady--I'm sure she's given you a lot of joy!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Sending hugs to precious Nevada. I agree...maybe a small "safe place" might make her feel more secure when you are gone. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thank you for all of your kind thoughts & ideas. We are both certainly feeling the GT love tonight. :wub:

I think that you are right about her looking for a "den". I'm just not sure if she would use a crate. She's never been crated in her entire life. I don't want to stress the old gal. I think that I'll go to PetsMart tomorrow & look at the soft crates. Can't hurt to look.

I did a better job this morning of Nevada proofing the house. She did try to get under the sofa table-but the pillows that I stuffed around kept her out. She's being confined to two rooms in the house now while I'm gone-both have carpet in case she falls.

This odd behavior started after she took a terrible spill 2 weeks ago on the tile floor. She fell & couldn't get up. I didn't come home for several hours. Without going into details.....it was terrible. :weep I want to keep her safe.

She is such a sweet girl & such a trouper! :kiss2 from both of us..........Carol & Nevada

Edited by NevadasMom

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Thank you for all of your kind thoughts & ideas. We are both certainly feeling the GT love tonight. :wub:

I think that you are right about her looking for a "den". I'm just not sure if she would use a crate. She's never been crated in her entire life. I don't want to stress the old gal. I think that I'll go to PetsMart tomorrow & look at the soft crates. Can't hurt to look.

I did a better job this morning of Nevada proofing the house. She did try to get under the sofa table-but the pillows that I stuffed around kept her out. She's being confined to two rooms in the house now while I'm gone-both have carpet in case she falls.

This odd behavior started after she took a terrible spill 2 weeks ago on the tile floor. She fell & couldn't get up. I didn't come home for several hours. Without going into details.....it was terrible. :weep I want to keep her safe.

She is such a sweet girl & such a trouper! :kiss2 from both of us..........Carol & Nevada

It does sound like she's trying to find a "den" to feel safe and quiet in. One of my dogs has always sought out a "den" in the house, now that she's a senior and blind she still likes to be in her den.

Maybe you could make her a soft sided den out of cushions, something she could get in and out of easily.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest paulamariez

Oh Nevada you precious girl you! I'm sending tons of love, light and prayers for your sweet self! A nice, soft, squishy den sounds like just the thing for your gal. I like the idea of the couch cushions! That just might work. Tiger, Bueller and Domino sending Nevada lots of loving doggie kisses too!

Carol, I am so sorry Nevada is not doing well :( It does sound like maybe the fall scared her and she's looking for a "safe" place when you aren't around. Would she go into a closet? (with the door open!) It seems like a lot of spooky dogs like closets, they can be very den-like. :bighug

Nevada did well today. I was gone most of the day & I came home to find her just walking around. She seemed calm & happy-no signs of trying to "den".

Her treat tonight was getting steak hand fed to her............my girlie is NOT spoiled! Her mother is just well trained. :wub:

Carol-Glendale, AZ