Darcy Deerhound

Bevd

Guest TaniandMalachy

Glad to hear Darcy is doing so well.

Keeping her firmly in mind and zapping lots of positive energy atcha! :hope

Lots of cyber bikkies for the patient ... when she's feeling up to them, of course.

:dogcookie:dogcookie:dogcookie

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mommydog

I'm only just reading this Bev. I'm so sorry to hear about Darcy, but under the circumstances I think she's looking pretty good. Hope you get a good lab result. Sending you all lots of good wishes and big hugs :bighug :bighug :bighug

She's looking great. Give her some extra scritches!

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Well, Darcy, this is a shock (I haven't been around much), but I'm glad to see you enjoying your brekkie. I hope you have a good day and a quick return to action.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Can anyone who has been through this amputation thing give me any sort of ideas regarding timescales? In other words, what was your dog like on day 3 or 4 post amp? When did he/she start to get up on his/her own (even if he/she still needed help with moving) and when did they begin to actually walk without assistance?

I'm sure all is going normally here but I have nothing to compare with so I really don't know.

All I know is that we are on day 3 post amp and Darcy shows no signs what so ever of wanting to get up. She just wants to remain laying down in pretty much one position from one potty trip to the next (and yesterday we only managed two potty trips although we are aiming for three today).

I have no clue how hard to push her and how much I should pander to her needs (or what I guess are her needs).

Love from Flummoxed and Flailing

Great Britain

xx

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I wonder if the pain meds are part of why she's not getting up? Maybe she feels off kilter from those?

I'm giving blood today, and sending all of the good karma to Darcy, hang in there sweetie :wub:

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I've had 2 amputee greys here; one back leg and one front leg. I think missing a front leg is a bit harder than the back leg. Our surgeon had them up and walking the day after surgery. We helped with stairs, but not with walking (except for moral support as we would stick close for the first weeks). It is hard to watch them stuggle to get up the first few weeks but they will learn and adapt. There will be falls once in a while, especially on slippery surfaces. Putting rugs down on surfaces helps. Ours came home 2 days after surgery. From that point, they got up from their beds on their own and hopped to the door on their own. We carried down the stairs until the stitches were out. They navigated the yard to pee and poop. I probably did have to insist Morgan get up and go outside when I thought he needed to go. Neither of them wet their beds. Perhaps you can give Darcy lots of voice encouragement to get up on her own?

oh, and I 2nd Burpdog's suggestion for a T-shirt to prevent licking the wound. Here's a photo of Jimmy wearing a shirt after his amputation. Jimmy

Darcy is now wearing a t shirt. She doesn't like it because it says something about greyhounds, not deerhounds. LOL.

I've used voice encouragement. I've used dried lungs. I've used sausages. I've used cheese. I've tried raising my voice a bit. I've tried tickling her. I've tried looking very serious. I've tried looking loving. I've tried everything I can think of to make her get up on her own. It's not worked.

I think I have the worlds only dog who doesn't want to get up. But then again, before this happened, she was laying down asleep for 90% of the day and would only get up when she really needed to. I'm not entirely sure why I think she is going to have changed her whole persona just because someone chopped her leg off.

So it's up to us to now force her, at least four times a day, to get up and go out.

I am not having a great day today. Can you tell.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I'm sorry it's been so tough. You've been so strong for Darcy, and you will continue to be, even though it does wear on you, as I know all too well. I hope she starts cooperating soon... :goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Tenderhearts
I think I have the worlds only dog who doesn't want to get up. But then again, before this happened, she was laying down asleep for 90% of the day and would only get up when she really needed to. I'm not entirely sure why I think she is going to have changed her whole persona just because someone chopped her leg off.

I'm sorry, I know it isn't funny, but this did make me laugh :lol :lol :lol

My thinking on this (and we all know how dangerous that can be), flawed though it may be as I've had no personal experience with a post-amputation dog, is since she's normally a laid-out flat dog 90% of the time anyway, still on pain meds, and only 3 days post amp, you may have to accept her begrudging attitude and make her get up anyway. Any chance she's 'milking' it? :lol

But then, what do I know? :rofl

PS. I would like to see a picture of her in the T ;)

Darcy is now wearing a t shirt. She doesn't like it because it says something about greyhounds, not deerhounds. LOL.

I've used voice encouragement. I've used dried lungs. I've used sausages. I've used cheese. I've tried raising my voice a bit. I've tried tickling her. I've tried looking very serious. I've tried looking loving. I've tried everything I can think of to make her get up on her own. It's not worked.

So it's up to us to now force her, at least four times a day, to get up and go out.

I am not having a great day today. Can you tell.

In time it will get better. :grouphug Sending our prayers.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

The post from BurpDog is: "Winslow - a walk down amp lane" and definitely read it - it's full of useful information and also very amusing - Winslow is such a delightful "individual" - after all, how many greyhounds are artists and paint?

Another suggestion for the T-shirt for Darcy. Someone suggested to me getting a dog T-shirt from Old Navy for Bodie after his surgery. Now, I don't know if they have Old Navy stores on the other side of the "pond", but I'm sure there must be places with dog T-shirts. They fit snugly so Darcy won't trip while she's learning this new walking thing. Also, if Darcy is seeping at all from the wound, like Bodie was, you can stick a maxi-pad on the inside of the shirt to catch the seep. Bodie looked fairly disgusting walking around in a saggy, bloody, human T-shirt. The dog T-shirt solved a lot of problems for us. He even wore it after his stitches were out, but during the time he still wasn't supposed to lick his wounds. There is a picture of him in one of his T-shirts on one of my posts from last August if you are up to going back in the archives to look for it.

I'm sorry you're stressing!! :grouphug But you're right, she's not any more likely to get up now! Like I said before, these potty trips are much easier with a 15 lb dog. :)

Edited by Lori

With Snickers, she was definately depressed at first. She would go into a remote room and sit by herself and not really pay attention to any of us. It worried me. It took a good two to three weeks before any sense of normalcy returned. it's very hard at first, but look at the post of Bodie running and hear all the stories. Snickers climbed our staircase to the second floor I think the second day home. I think she adjusted easily to the amputation and balance issues becasue she was retired due to a broken leg. I bought all sorts of rugs to help her on the tile and ended up not needed them.

We had lots of trouble with screaming episodes, not sure if it was phantom pain or what but they killed me. They stopped eventually. I massaged her a lot -- they have to adjust to their new gait and I think it wrenches a lot of muscles because of the bobbing.

Hugs to you. It was a brave decision you made for Darcy and I bet you'll see that it was a great one once you see the old Darcy return.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Plan B was put into action regarding walking for toileting purposes this evening.

We arranged for our friends across the road to come out onto their garden and we would take Darcy out of our front door and get her to walk across to them.

We put all the other dogs out of the way so that we could have the living room door & babygate open at the same time as the front door and then started the task of getting Darcy to her feet. Marc had to lift her (but I suspect thats going to be the norm for some time).

We got her out of the front door and she spied Aunty Janet & Uncle Iain (which may have had something to do with them calling her name in very happy voices) and off she shot to see them with her tail wagging.

She did a wee on the pavement and a poo on the road (with me rushing back inside for the bag I'd forgotten to take with me) and she did a fair bit of walking around (and a fair bit of leaning against Uncle Iain and wagging her tail whilst gazing at him adoringly).

We were out there for about 10 mins before we decided that enough was enough and we came back in.

Darcy decided to lay on one of the other dog beds against the radiator so we've left her there for the time being and turned the heating off.

42ddd39a707db04e2a8cbf36ea0af64f.jpg

PS I am a bit less fraught than earlier :blush

Never underestimate the power of Aunty Janet & Uncle Iain! Great news. Dare we hope you will get a decent night's sleep tonight?!! Hugs

P.S. When I turned the laptop on early this morning, my DH wanted to know "what is the auction?" I explained no auction, but a sick doggie in England.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota