Darcy Deerhound

Bevd

Well. Darcy is home. She walked out of the vets (in a rather ungainly manner but she did walk) and she squeaked a bit as she walked along. Marc has lifted her in and out of the car (obviously). She's now in her bed area and she's not looking too pleased with herself. I'll take a couple of pics in a minute and add them for you to see if you want to but they are not pretty pics.

The vet showed us the x-rays and the break was just above the joint - and it was a break which went all the way across. He pointed out the areas of tumour and it was scary really. He said it could have been growing for a while or it could have been there for a few weeks only - we'll never know. A sample has been sent to the lab and when that comes back we may have a better idea of what sort of tumour it was. But it can take up to 2 weeks for those results to come back.

If we want to, we can have another chest x-ray done in a couple of months (so we will probably do that just after Christmas rather than just before :rolleyes:) and all we can do now is hope that it was caught before it had time to go elsewhere.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures are below so skip past if you don't want to see because she's not got any bandage on.

4ff3be69176a57faceb70f2dde6e7a9a.jpg

cafd047325ee8b72078dd8c67669548c.jpg

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Oh sweet Darcy. You need many kisses and tummy scratches.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest IndysDad

I'm so glad the surgery was sucessful and Darcy is home. She looks like she's doing rather well for what she's been through.

Prayers and best wishes from our family to you and yours

Her incision looks really good. Starting the 'pain-free-infection-free-fast-healing-while-kicking-cancer-hiney' chant.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Her incision looks really good. Starting the 'pain-free-infection-free-fast-healing-while-kicking-cancer-hiney' chant.

I'll join in on that chant.

I'm so glad to see that she's home.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Incision looks really good - very minimal bruising. Happy she's home with you now and can begin her recovery.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I'm so glad she's home and pray for a quick and full recovery

Welcome home wishes and gentle hugs are being sent to your pretty little self sweetie. Bev do you think that they will do chemo for good measure? Sending our many prayers for a swift and comfortable recovery. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Bev, she actually looks good. We had an amputation done on our first greyhound (front leg as well) who was much older than Darcy, and she was able to get around just fine. I know it is a blow to you -- and to your poor baby -- but she looks like she's going to be okay. Time is the natural healer.

Will be thinking about you.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

I know she must be so happy to be home. Sending prayers :hope, gentle ear scritches :grouphug, and puppy kisses to Darcy :kiss2 . And big hugs for you too. :grouphug:bighug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

QUOTE(Sirocco_Nikki @ Oct 17 2007, 11:34 AM)

Her incision looks really good.

Starting the 'pain-free-infection-free-fast-healing-while-kicking-cancer-hiney' chant.

I'll join in on that chant.

Me too!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I agree with the others that Darcy looks quite good. Much better than I expected. I hope that is a good omen for things to come.

May her recovery be speedy and as painless as possible. I know you must be beside yourself, but you and Marc are wonderful doggie parents and there's no place better that she could be to heal than at home with you.

Continued good thoughts for your family...

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest darlene

Wow, what a pup! :wub: Guess you're really lucky that leg broke, huh? At least, hopefully, before it had time to spread! :hope:hope:hope Hugs to you, :grouphug and big hugs and kisses for sweet Darcy. :grouphug:kiss2:dogcookie

We've all had a little sleep and then it was time for The First Garden Trip.

:blink:

Marc did the Darcy bit and I did the 'entertaining the other 10 dogs with one small packet of treats' at the far end of the room. (Jeez).

Marc & Darcy made rather woonky progress from her bed, through the dining area and into the conservatory, where the outing was nearly aborted by the fact that Darcy jumped up ontp the settee that she was passing in there :yikes: She lay down on it and wasn't for moving :rolleyes:

Eventually, they got out to the garden, whereupon much standing around took place and nothing else, so they slowly made their way back but Darcy was exhausted so she lay down on the nearest dog bed for a pit stop. There, she had some water and a small amount of food (tinned, recovery diet for tonight). Then she was persuaded back to her bed.

She's obviously very tired and very sore.

But, she has requested some tummy tickles so thats good.

I'll offer her some more food later. Just before we try the garden malarky again :unsure

PS I'm not sure what else is going to happen because (and I can't beleive I did this) I forgot to ask the vet :eek:blush I was in such a flap, it just never happened. But I am going to phone him tomorrow with my list of questions. I do know Darcy is seeing him on Tuesday of next week for a checkup but obviously, I need to engage brain and speak to him well before then!