Jane's @ Home, Recovering (probable Stroke)

Guest VelvetEars

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest VelvetEars

Well, things aren't any better. On the other hand, they're not any worse. I went to visit her this afternoon and, with the help of the tech, we got her standing up. That was more than they were able to get her to do this morning. OTOH, her head tilt is much more pronounced than last night, and she's really knuckling under. I spent some time talking to her, petting her, and telling her how much we want her to get better, and that tomorrow I'll come get her and take her home. When I was going to leave, she actually stood up and tried to get out of her crate - the day vet was standing there and was very surprised. I wasn't, though - she's my velcro baby, and as long as there is life in her, I can't imagine her not making every attempt to follow me. So I promised her I'd be back and I left, crying, as the vet tech held her down.

The day vet said if she's not showing improvement in the next 48 hours, she's probably not going to pull through. He feels very strongly that it's either a stroke or a lesion on her brain. A stroke she can recover from, most likely. The other...well....

So...tonight i'll be turning the living room into a hospital for Ms Jane and a sleeping room for me. i'm also on call tonight for my doula stuff, so for the first time in weeks, i'm praying i don't get called in. I didn't sleep much last night, and I've been gone all day today. Going to shower and nap now, just in case, though...

Thanks for all the PMs and good wishes. I don't have the time/energy right now to answer everyone, but just know how much I appreciate your ideas, encouragement, and healing energy. Jane has been one of the most challenging greys - from severe separation anxiety to being impaled on a plant stand and subsequently injured worse by vet tape - and now this....I just want my stubborn, bitchy, moody, velcro shadow back.

Someone mentioned something similar to this because I remember the head tilt. Don't give up. If you can find an acupuncture vet to come to the house it will help a lot. As the vet said, time is of the essence:

Here are some vets near you:

CHI certified:

Kim Lynch, DVM, CVA

St. Louis, MO 63130, USA

Tele: (314)721-6251

Fax: (314)721-7513

Email: kvet@mic.net

Marcy Hammerle, DVM

Specialty: Small Animal

Ofallon, MO 63366, USA

Tele: (636)561-9122

Fax: (636)625-0418

Email: marcydogdoc@sbcglobal.net

Sherry Headrick Ryterski, DVM, CVA

Specialty: Small Animal

Bridgeton, MO 63044, USA

Tele: (314)739-1510

Email: shrdvm@yahoo.com

TERESA GARDEN , DVM

ANIMAL HEALTH & HEALING

2615 SOUTH BIG BEND BLVD

ST. LOUIS , MO 63143

Phone: 314-781-1738

Fax: 314-781-2844

Modalities Practiced: (Modality Quick Reference)

AC(IVAS) BF CH CR(AVCA) CN CM GT H HC HC (AVH) NU WH ALPHA-STIMULATION

Practice Preferences:

SMALL ANIMAL

www.animalhealthandhealing.com

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Lots of hugs, prayers and good thoughts for you and Jane.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest StriderDog

Oh Meredith! I'm so sorry! We had a mutt when I was younger who had similar symptoms that was caused by a brain tumor pressing on his brain-stem, so I think your vet is on the right track. :bighug

I second Dr. Lynch, if you wanted to change - she's our regular vet and she's very knowledgeable and has such good bedside manner! :nod

Someone mentioned something similar to this because I remember the head tilt. Don't give up. If you can find an acupuncture vet to come to the house it will help a lot. As the vet said, time is of the essence:

Here are some vets near you:

CHI certified:

Kim Lynch, DVM, CVA

St. Louis, MO 63130, USA

Tele: (314)721-6251

Fax: (314)721-7513

Email: kvet@mic.net

Is it possible she could have gotten into some sort of poison or pesticide? Could she have ingested a poisonous mushroom or plant from the yard or a neighbor's yard, or gotten onto grass recently treated with pesticides?

Hoping for a full recovery for Jane! :grouphug

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

:candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest CindyMessmore

I'm in a very similar situation with my favorite grey. He's 13 and it's a tough decision to make. My heart wants to go to the Referral Hospital and go thru further testing, but my mind knows that's expensive and not resonable, given all the circumstances. We've never hestitated to spend whatever it takes to take care of our dogs, but this might be the the time for me to decide " Am I doing it for me for the my dog"? Best wishes to you for a good outcome.

I'm sorry to read about this. I posted a thread about one of our group's greys that had these exact same symptoms. It wa a sudden onset, and unfortunately she passed away within 2 weeks of the first symptoms. They did an autopsy and they were told "non-supparative menigitis". I have to go look for that thread- I think that was the name.

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)