Jane's @ Home, Recovering (probable Stroke)

Guest VelvetEars

Guest VelvetEars

When I left for work at 11a yesterday, Janey was fine. When I got home at 6, she was having major trouble walking, keeping her balance, and seeing. By the time we got to the vet at 7:30, she was getting rigid, her front legs were crossing, and her temp was pretty high. She continued to get worse while we were in the exam room. She was admitted and they were working to lower her fever and figure out what was wrong. They did give her some valium to help relax her a little. The vet wasn't sure she'd make it through the night. Her Xrays and bloodwork didn't show anything. It's not vestibular disease, which was my first thought (and initial hope, because she could get better).

All I know about the time between 11-6 is that at 3:30 or so, she wouldn't go outside for my DH (not unusual). He called me at the office at 4 to say she'd vomited yellow stuff (not unusual, given her preference for grazing and trash diving), but said she was acting fine. (He's not terribly observant, but did say that she was just in her usual spot on the living room couch waiting for me to come home.)

She didn't get into the trash, because it was empty yesterday. There isn't anything around that she could have gotten into, or did --- no chocolate, no houseplants, etc. Her biggest obsession is bread, and we don't have that around right now, and that wouldn't make her this sick anyway.

I checked with the vet this morning - she made it through the night, and the vet on now was just getting ready to run some more tests. She's about the same as last night - still rigid, still unable to stand, etc. I did ask them to check her over to see if maybe she had a bite somewhere - spider or snake, maybe? We live in the city, but I suppose that doesn't make us immune to critters. We don't have a doggie door, so she doesn't have unsupervised access to the outside, but of course I can't monitor the access of critters to the yard.

I'm just stymied, and I'm terribly terribly afraid she's not going to make it, or at the very least, not get any better. If you've seen this in a greyhound -or other dog- before, please let me know. We are looking for any and all possibilities.

Edited by VelvetEars

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ss556

I don't know, but am sending lots of prayers. I'm so sorry this is happening. Please keep us posted. Someone here must have some ideas.

Guest Winterwish

Sending prayers for Janey's recovery from whatever is happening. I'm sorry I have no advice to offer. :grouphug

Please get well soon Janey. :hope:hope

Well I have to post this, make sure they check for TBD's

Once a human or animal is stricken with ehrlichiosis, white cells die off faster than the bone marrow can replace them. These dead cells migrate primarily to the spleen which enlarges as a result. Frantically, the bone marrow works to form new, healthy cells. In its haste, it sends out immature cells which do not work efficiently. Quite often these immature cells are almost indistinguishable from those seen in leukemic patients. Advanced Ehrlichiosis is, in fact, often misdiagnosed as leukemia or lymphosarcoma.

To complicate things further, ongoing research suggests that chronic ehrlichiosis may lead to various cancers, especially leukemia and lymphosarcoma. There is speculation that it may predispose animals to other forms of cancer as well. Because of its effect on the nervous system, ehrlichiosis is also sometimes misdiagnosed as brain cancer. It does, in fact, affect many dogs neurologically and can cause seizures, problems with coordination, changes in temperament, or obsessive-compulsive behavior (such as repeated licking or other repetitive behaviors.)

Causes of death by ehrlichia are usually due to internal hemorrhage including hemorrhage into the brain, severe autoimmune disease, multiple secondary infections due to a compromised immune system or complete failure of one or more internal organs such as heart, liver, spleen, etc.

I don't know.... but check anyway. I hope she comes out of this :(

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

When Summer was so sick a couple of months ago, she had some of those same symptoms... loss of balance, loss of vision, mild fever, lethargy, etc. Her problem turned out to be fungal enchephalitis from toxic mold in the adopter's home. A MRI confirmed the brain problem and she was put on Pred and antibiotics and I think an antifugal med and is still recovering. Sending tons of prayers and light to your Janey. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Oh no, many prayers and healing thoughts to Jane!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest VelvetEars

My sister suggested it might be Coonhound Syndrome. I suppose it's possible that a racoon left pee/poop in the yard and she came in contact with it. And if that's it, she could get better - but it could take months, extensive home care, and physical therapy.

I would lean towards a TBD, bite either spider or snake or the fungal suggestion. Any chance she got a mushroom in the yard? If you say no, are you SURE there are not any small ones out there?

I'd see if a shot of doxy will hurt anything and I'd do it rather than wait.

Sending prayers.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest VelvetEars

I've talked to Jane's current vet, who said that her right pupil is enlarged, and her left is constricted. he doesn't think she's seeing out of her right eye at all. It could be a brain tumor, it could be a stroke - he's just not sure, but he thinks whatever it is is in her head. We're going to talk again this afternoon and see what we want to do. He thinks if she's not improving in a few days, she won't get better. Really the only way to know for sure is a CT or MRI and CSS at VSS, which is going to be a whole lot of money that I just don't think we can spend right now. I'm thinking about bringing her home to care for her this weekend - provided I can keep her hydrated and turned regularly and get her meds in her (pred and an antibiotic), he said that would be fine.

Edited by VelvetEars

Guest grey_dreams

Poor Jane! Just wanted to add one idea - you might check for signs of a spider bite. Brown recluse spiders are common in St. Louis, and even black widow spiders do occur there. Both of them can induce reactions including vomiting and neurological symptoms. I hope she gets better soon!

:hope:grouphug

Sending many prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.