Winslow's Diary

December 18, 2007

Hi Diane,

How's everything! Are all your kids doing ok? What about you? Ready for Christmas?

Oh BOY! Winslow was so excited to get his package today! Biscuits and cakes and biscuits and cakes! He was spinning in circles, slobber flying everywhere! Thank you!

He was making amends to the neighborhood dogs all last week. This left him without any biscuits (I told him that if he were a little nicer during the year, there would be more biscuits left over! He just smirked at me). Now, he can finish his gift giving and have some treats left over for him.

We have suspended swimming until Roger turns the heater off. Winslow hates that heated water and it seems to make him weak. Last week, he went in once and said," no more!" I didn't force it. Roger can't turn off the heaters for us because the other dogs need it. That's ok. Now that it's so cold, Winslow is going out more often and feeling really good. He's getting some exercise that way, so I'm not really worried about it. He'll be swimming again soon.

Yesterday, we delivered Winslow's painting to the winners of the auction. They are lovely people who also have 3 hounds of their own. Winslow sent a nice big bag of Burpdog Biscuits for the dogs and they LOVED them. The people made a really good lunch for us and sent us home with some cookies from a gourmet dog bakery in Arlington for Winslow. That boy gets his treats and loves them all! We really enjoyed meeting all of them and the people portion of the family will be invited to Winslow's birthday party in Feb. Hopefully you will make an appearance and meet them as well. It promises to be a big party. We have a lot to celebrate and you know, Winslow loves a party!

Now, I'm off to take those Rottweiler girls treats and toys. I told Winslow I was going to apologize for the way he teases them. He said "I don't tease them... They love me. You know, like the Beatles in 1964.... Didn't you see all those girls throwing themselves against the car windows? Even humans do it!"

I said, "If those girls ever escape, they're gonna love you alright.... they way they love steak!" He just laughed and asked me to scratch his neck, again!... "a little more to the left".

Hopefully the Burpdog biscuits and squeaky toys will help to smooth things over.

Glynis

December 20, 2007

Good Morning Diane,

The neighborhood dogs are munching happily on the Burpdog love that Winslow has been spreading. All parents say their dogs are crazy for them. Even the ever tormented Rottweiler girls are wagging their tailless butts at Winslow, thanking him for the treats. Peaches, the 'doodle' checks my pockets every time she sees me, looking for another crumb. Winslow is once again in good stead with the neighborhood. I expect that to last until Dec. 26.

Winslow has a new coat. Not one I made or purchased... nope... HE'S GROWING AN ADDITIONAL COAT. There are long hairs sprouting all over him. These hairs are very soft but are about an inch to two inches longer than his now normal fluffy coat. I thought he was about to start shedding, so I brushed him really well... Nothing. Some of these hairs are really long. Winslow doesn't shed anymore and this new hair is much longer. When added to the length, thickness and fluffiness that happened in the spring, it's very strange. Have you ever heard of anything like this? If this new coat really grows in, I'm going to have to start clipping him for summer! A poodle cut perhaps? I've attached a few photos of the sprouts.. Not interesting, but you see what I mean.

I saw other greyhounds recently and now realize how totally different Winslow's coat has become.

Meanwhile, Winslow continues to thrive. Guarding the birdseed from the evil squirrel, relaxing on the deck in the cold, marking every possible tree and bush in the neighborhood, reading books, watching youtube, and supervising everything that goes on in the house. I'm trying to teach him to play monopoly, but he cheats.

Happy Holidays

Glynis

coat2.jpg

coat1.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LolasMom

Oh Winslow...I'm just seeing your pictures and video now. You look so handsome in your new collar. :wub:

And it looks like mom's training is coming along nicely. :thumbs-up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

January 10, 2008

I've lost a lot of sleep this week, worrying needlessly about Winslow's chest xray. Do you think he's even thinking of these things? I woke him up early yesterday, so he wasn't pleased. I didn't give him breakfast before his bloodwork. He marched happily into the vets office, knowing THEY would give him peanut butter. He was done with all tests in under an hour. When we got home, he had a big breakfast and big nap while I paced the floors until this afternoon.

(Circle of Grey sent Winslow a blanket a year ago when he was diagnosed. He loves it for a pillow).

fuss1.jpg

Hi Diane,

How's everything there? Is Grace doing? What about the seniors? I hope all is going well there.

Here's the update for Winslow.

We went to the vet for his regular 3 month check up yesterday. This was a big one. It's been over a year since his amp, and with his birthday coming in Feb. I was really hoping for a good result. I just got the call.

ALL CLEAR!

Everything is good! They said his phosphorus was a touch low so we should give him a little more dairy. (My guess is that Winslow paid someone to tell me that). An extra tablespoon or so of yogurt should do it.

I was waiting to really start making those plans for his party, but now we're going all out. Big birthday party for Winslow! Everyone's invited!

I hope you plan to come out for it! Feb 16th!.

Hooray!

Glynis

www.glynisberger.com

www.de-yong.com

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest BlackandBrindle

:thumbs-up:thumbs-up:yay :yay

Winslow has been much on my mind lately. Glad Glynis got the all clear :thumbs-up:

Edited by BlackandBrindle

Fantastic that Winslow is still going strong!! :confetti:yay

Diane, do you know what Winslow's diet has been for the year since his surgery?

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Winslow and Glynis, we love you! Wish I lived closer---I'd love to meet you both. I always check this thread to see how you're doing, and this good news is wonderful. Sweet boy, Queen Winnie would be proud.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

What fantastic news! Way to go Winslow. Enjoy your added dairy -- knowing Winslow he probably did convince them to tell you that. :lol

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

It's official: Winslow has beaten the odds. May he have many more happy years to come :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Gooooood boyyyyyyy Winslowwwwwwww :confetti

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest tarasue
September 21, 2007

I vacuum everything every day, INCLUDING WINSLOW!

I do the same thing for Tara. She really likes it. I also use my dremel tool to file her nails. When it's time, I tell her "She is going to the beauty salon"!

She loves it!

January 12, 2008

Good Morning Diane,

How's everything there?

It's been a busy week here at Winslow's house. After the good reports from the vet, he immediately wanted to send his birthday party invitations. Then we had to go out and visit the neighbors who were waiting to hear the news of his medical report. After all the cheering and celebrating, he's pretty worn out today.

I was reading GT this morning and Winslow had the following commentary and wondered if you could post it for him?:

Love that Darcy! Ohhhhh LONG HAIR .. She's pretty! (We hope she is doing well after her chemo and look forward to reading more about her). I would share my fan with her!

GO CARRIER! Good job!

Dempsey, It's going to work out just fine. Takes a little getting used to, but hang in there. After the surgery, it's recovery all the way and everything gets better. I'll be here, cheering for you!

Bodie, How's it going?

Thanks to all who celebrated this year and all the milestones with me. I wish everyone good health in the new year.

Diane, Love those birthday cakes! YUMMY! I'm looking forward to it!!!

Your little girl Grace sure is a cutie! I love a girl in a tuxedo.

And now, a nap.

Love, Winslow

And there you have it.... straight from the big snooty himself.

Have a good weekend. Give us an update on your pack.

Glynis

bigsnooty.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Just catching up on Winslow's adventures...GREAT news on the tests!!! :confetti

I hope you have a very happy birthday Winslow, we'll all be here partying with you!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Dearest Winslow,

I write to you from the comfort of my double decker bed after giving Lambie a good shake and leading a roo. It's wonderful to hear that you are doing so well and get prepared for your birthday celebrations.

Your mummy has given my mummy lots of valuable information. She is always telling me how good you are and I was really happy to hear the latest news. I hope my body will be as good as yours.

Until next time my friend,

Carrier

Oh how I love that Winslow boy! He is absolutely ADORABLE~~~ I like that he allows to be vacumed!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

January 21, 2008

Good Morning Diane,

How's everything in Burpland? We hope all is well with the pack and that your winter is mild.

Here, it's not so easy. If I could even find one bit of humor in this, I would make a video called "Tripods on Ice", but this just isn't funny.

As you know, Mr. Pickybutt will NOT poop in his own yard. Nope-- he was "forced" to do it when he was recovering, but hated it... He has to go at least 3 blocks from our house, regardless of weather or time of day. He also has pee stations along his route that MUST NOT be missed. He's been like this since the beginning, so 4 years later, it's pretty much irreversible. So, we walk out in rain, snow, sleet, hail and dark of night so Winslow can poop in the comfort of his very own spots. (We have been vacationing at the same place every year for 3 years. Yes, he has his own spots there, too. Also at the vet's).

Now, the problem is frozen snow. When it snowed, Oh, it was FUN! We ran around and rolled on the ground and stayed out most of the day. But then the unthinkable happened. It all turned to ice. Winslow just cannot maneuver the ice on 3 legs. I shoveled the yard out to the sidewalk so he can walk on the cleared sidewalks, but he cannot get to his TOILETS!! He cries about it, tries to do it and loses his balance, poops all over himself or paces around and then poops in some really embarrasing place, ie..a neighbor's driveway. I keep baby wipes just inside the front door. By the time we get home, he's usually sporting a poopsicle on his tail.

He peed on his beloved deck last week. I could tell he was not happy about it, but he made a choice of that over going out onto the ice. Can't say I blame him. I probably would have done the same thing.

We try to help him out, show him cleared places he can go, and do whatever we can to make it easier for him, but ice is ice and it's just too slick and too jagged to walk on. I was putting mushers wax on his feet to make things a little more comfortable but since they dumped all the gravel in the streets, I've had to stop using the wax because the gravel sticks in his feet. We don't even mention boots to him.

Winslow is just distraught about the whole thing. He hates going out. It's like someone came along and changed his whole world. We had a bit of this last year, but he was still confined to our yard and surrounding area when the ice hit. He had just had his surgery about 6 weeks before. So this year, it's like a new event.

We are hoping that all of this goes away soon and Winslow can resume his routine. Aside from that, all is well here. We're still cold, he's still hot. When he's out on the deck, "sunning", I go out and feel his ears and feet because I'm concerned about frostbite. Warm. Always warm.

Our neighbor, Lori made some baked treats out of chicken liver, eggs and a little rice flour. She's bringing some today for Winslow to try. I'm sure he's going to love it! He needs a bright spot.

Meanwhile Winslow is looking for a place for us to move that is 40 degrees year round. No ice, rain is ok.

Glynis

Dear Glynis:

Poor Winslow :( Don't they make a de icer you can take on the walks?.......

Diane

Yes, they do, but this ice is inches deep and to de-ice all of his spots would require a truck. I use that petsafe de-icer on all of our sidewalks and stairs

Glynis

Well, I'm sure Winslow would approve the purchase of a truck.....

I know he would. I would also be willing to drive him to his spots.

I just came from the store and sure enough, he's limping again on that front foot. He's either twisted it or bruised a pad. I have ice on it now, he likes it. Hopefully it will go away. Regardless, I'm cancelling all plans for this week because I suspect a move to the basement. That could happen at any moment. Once he's really limping, he can't do the stairs and I don't want to aggravate it by forcing it. Now, it's 40 degrees here. I bet I can melt the entire yard if I drain the water heater. Since it's on a hill, the water will run off before it freezes up. I think it's worth a try.. Winslow won't be happy about being forced to poop in the yard, but it looks like that's going to be the only option during icy times. What a mess.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

January 21, 2008 late morning

Thanks!

Well, here we go again. After observing Winslow's reluctance to get up, I have decided to get us downstairs ASAP. I did manage to get 2/3 of the back yard clear for toilet purposes. This will get Winslow off the stairs and off the ice. He can do nothing but rest that foot and hopefully we won't be down there very long.

Craig is in NY, so this will take most of my afternoon. Down is easy, but he'll be home when it's time to bring everything back UP.

Meanwhile, Winslow is on the bed with his ice block. He knows it makes that foot feel better. He was licking it last night. It must have started then. Who knows?

Glynis

2008_0122winslow00061.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I live in Massachusetts and my tripod, Morgan, is having a terrible time with the ice too. He fell and scraped the underside of his eyelid that required a vet visit and gluing. He's having a really tough time getting around the yard.