Winslow's Diary

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

October 14, 2007

Hi Diane,

WE'RE BACK! We moved back to the main level of our house today. Winslow was so excited! He came right up the stairs with no problem! He's really happy to be back. Of course, he missed his beloved sofa and a few of the toys that didn't go downstairs with us.

He checked everything to make sure nothing was missing. After he saw that everything was in place... a nap.

He seems a little stiff when he first moves around, but after a minute or so, he's fine. Seems like he's beginning to need the activity. He has been really anxious to walk in the neighborhood.

So, hopefully, everything will get back to normal soon, and stay that way!

When is your angel auction?

Glynis

2007_1014Imback0018.jpg

2007_1014Imback0016.jpg

2007_1014Imback0021.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Finally - I've had time to sit down and read this thread from the start.

I've laughed and cried and laughed some more and then got terrified over the swollen foot issue and then got amazed by the video's of Winslow on two legs!

Thank you to Glynis for sharing and to Diane for posting it for us :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

In answer to my question about exactly what does Winslow eat:

Hi Diane,

This diet is something I made up by doing my own research and figured it would be best for Winslow. So far, so good.

5:00 AM- 1-100 mg. Artemisinin from HOLLEY PHARMACEUTICALS ONLY. (recommended by Dr. Couto) I give it with 1/2 cup yogurt. I just put the pill down his throat. They taste terrible so I never open the capsule or try to get Winslow to eat it.

7:30 AM- 1can 95%beef (sometimes 95% rabbit) EVO. 1/2 can chicken and turkey EVO. These are no grain lo carb. The chicken and turkey has veg in it as well. (I know, there's no proof that carbs feed osteosarcoma, but I'm not taking any chances. The DRY EVO GIVES WINSLOW THE BIG D)

To this, I add 1/2 scoop TRANSFER FACTOR (I heard about this from Sam Call, and my regular vet also said do it.) 5 big fish oil capsules (Nature Made 1200 mg.) 1- 175 mg. Milk Thistle (Winslow had some liver damage when he took RIMADYL- his liver is normal now, but I keep him on the Milk Thistle anyway.) 1 Super Joint Enhancer from 1800Petmeds-( He has a little arthritis- this pill is the same as COSEQUIN-it's glucosamine).

Late morning- 1 egg- COOKED. NEVER EVER RAW.

12 NOON- 1 JUMBO GREENIE (tooth cleaner, he eats all canned food) and 1 BURPDOG BISCUIT (I really think the biscuit is beneficial and Winslow loves them).

5:00 PM-- 1 can of 95% Beef, 1/2 can of chicken and turkey. 1 FULL SCOOP of Transfer Factor, 2- 50mg. CoEnzymeQ10 capsules, (Winslow has a heart murmur- this was recommended by his regular vet) 1 vitamin E capsule 400mg. (This again is because he had liver damage from the RIMADYL). 3 fish oil capsules, 1 Super Joint Enhancer. In the evening Winslow is also given a little vegetable from our table. Either broccoli, sweet potato, or fruit, peach or banana. Sometimes he wants it, sometimes not.

10:00 pm. Winslow gets a snack. 1 big spoonful of 95% beef with a little "burpdust" (the crumbs of the Burpdog Biscuits). Because the canned food is not as filling as the kibble, they need more. If he doesn't get his snack, he's up during the night crying to be fed.

I open all capsules and put them on his food. I crush the glucosamine tablets and add them as well. The transfer factor is powder. All supplements get blended into the food.

You will notice that I give the arte 2.5 hours before breakfast. I also reserve the larger dose of Transfer Factor, the vitamin E and the CoEnzyme Q 10 for the evening meal. This is because they are all antioxidant and I want them to be given many hours away from the ARTE.

Feeding 95% meat didn't seem to have everything necessary for a dog's well being. This is why I give the chicken and turkey EVO as well. If he gets all chicken and turkey, he gets the BIG D. The transfer factor has so many vitamins in it that I believe he's covered for a balanced meal. He also gets a little table veg.. if he wants it.

Feeding all canned food isn't doing his teeth any good. I brush, scrape, and add OXYFRESH PET ORAL HYGIENE SOLUTION to his drinking water in an effort to keep his teeth as healthy as possible.

I try to show why I give him everything. This diet is based on my own NON scientific research, the recommendation of others, and my knowledge of Winslow. It seems to be working. He has an exceptional coat, energy, his weight is good, his nails are good, he doesn't have the big D, and he's happy and eats everything I give him.

Glynis

p.s.

Hi Diane,

OOPS! I should mention that I don't give Winslow ARTE on the weekends. I read that it is absorbed better if you give it a little time off. So, he gets it only Monday thru Friday

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

October 21, 2007

Good Morning Diane,

Looks like you have really been having your share. I read the thread about Tootsie. How is she doing? We send hugs and Winslow sends a big butt sniff.

Did everyone else stop limping? We hope so.

Here, things are moving right along. As you know I have been painting the house and dyeing the bedsheets to match. Since THE BED is the main focal point of our living AND dining rooms, I figured I should just make it look like it belongs there. That seems to be working out well. Winslow, always watchful of THE BED, seems to like the new colors.

Craig's friend in California, David, runs a Whippet rescue (I think he takes others as well). Dave also supports auctions and he won a very nice collar from FASTDOG DESIGNS, which he had made especially for Winslow.

It's a really pretty collar and Winslow loves it! Since BUNNY is his favorite toy and his favorite food, this collar fits right in! It's well made and looks really good on the boy. They also sent him a matching tag collar that is also too cool. Again, it's his favorite color - PURPLE. As you can see in the photos, this gorgeous collar can also be used for a sleeping mask for day sleepers like Winslow. (he thought that was funny).

Winslow has such good friends! People were very helpful and supportive with his swollen foot. He had visitors and a lot of get well wishes! We are very thankful to all! As you know, Winslow loves to be read to. We read all posts from his Greytalk diary to him.

Now that he's well again, we are going back to the pool. We start again on Wednesday and looking forward to it! Winslow has also been talking about a trip to OSU. He wants to meet Dr. Couto.. Hmmm. More about that later.

Be well, all of you!

Glynis

2007_1021bunny0025.jpg

2007_1021bunny0029.jpg

October 23, 2007

Hi Diane,

How's Tootsie? Is everything back to normal at your house? Are you all set for the auction?

FINALLY! Today is the first day since the "Malamute Foot Incident" that everything is finally back to normal.

It took more than a week to get those nasty antibiotics out of Winslow's system. I finally got his diet back to normal about 3 days after he finished the pills, but his poop has been every variety of mush until today. Finally.

So I guess this means the "Malamute" chapter is over. We never found out what caused it, but it seems to be all gone now.

Tomorrow, SWIMMING!!!! Winslow is really looking forward to it. He has a lot of energy and I know he's missed his swimming lessons. We have to start over on the laps, but I'm sure he will build that up in no time.

We just went out for a morning jog around the neighborhood and "hot boy" is now on the bed waiting for his bowl of ice. It's 65 degrees here. Some things never change. I think we're going to be living with "fanny" all winter.

Gotta go, he's impatient.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Nickijm

Winslow :wub

Echoing what BevD said, I've laughed, cried and snorted at Winston, he's such a character :colgate

Thankyou for letting us share him with you :colgate

What a guy Winslow is.

Hope the auction doesn't turn him into an internet junkie. :):lol

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

October 28, 2007

Good Morning Diane,

How's everything at Casa Burpe? I hope your gang is doing well and Tootsie is feeling better. Maybe the cooler weather will do her good... It is cooler in Texas, right?

The auction seems to be going well.. at least my painting is as much as Winslow's... for now. It's pretty funny... being upstaged by Winslow! All my artist friends are cracking up! It's been suggested that I quit painting and become his agent!

It's all in good fun and we are really proud to have him donate something that is getting attention.

Here in VA, the weather is cooler, much to Winslow's delight. It's about 50 degrees this morning. Mr. Hotflash pranced around the neighborhood like he owned the place. I'm glad he's feeling so good. Summer was miserable for him.

He did the whole 'pee and dig' routine for the rotweiler girls up the street, in spite of the many times I have told him NOT TO TEASE THEM. Fortunately their people understand and maintain control of them. During the week when the people are at work, Winslow loves to walk by their house, get them all riled up and then pee in their territory. He slyly looks back over his shoulder, laughing as they throw themselves against the kitchen window in a scratching, slobbering, and barking frenzy. I know if they ever get out alone, we could have a real problem.

Once we returned home, Winslow was ready for us to have coffee on the deck. A little chilly for that, but no.... Mr. Hotty wanted his bed on the deck. We stayed in the warm kitchen while Winslow basked in the shade and breezes on the deck. He's still out there, as I sit inside watching him and writing this. He stands up now and then, whines at me to join him, then just flops down again. He is so loving this colder weather! Inside, it's slightly warmer, but windows are open and fanny continues to whirr along, as if it's still summer. Craig and I are wearing jackets and sleeping in sweats. I fully expect us to freeze to death this winter while Winslow is roaching naked in the brisk night air.

None of the vets have been able to give me a reason for his increased sensitivity to heat or for the extra fur which has stopped shedding again and is now really soft and fluffy. I believe the heat is an after effect of the chemo. The extra fur? Of course it plays a part in the heat problem, but why he grew it? Who knows? We are just happy to see Winslow happy, healthy and finally cooling off.

Gotta go... I know those sleeping bags are around here, somewhere. I'm gonna need them.

Glynis

2007_1028winslowdeck0003.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

October 29, 2007

Winslow's out on the deck again this morning. 38 degrees and he's stretched out sleeping on his bed as if it's the Bahamas. I went to put his jacket on him this morning. He wouldn't go out. I took it off.. out he went. I can see we will have a big difference of opinion regarding the thermostat this winter. It's 62 in my house, windows open and I sit here in hat and sweats, chugging coffee, watching Winslow who is absolutely comfortable out there. I know he's ok. I can see his breath!

I keep checking his ears. Back when he used to get cold, I could feel his ears and feet. If they were cool, I put a blanket on him, which he loved. Now, even when it's cold, his ears and feet are warm, so I'm guessing he really isn't cold and being comfortable at 40 degrees is probably better for him than being hot at 70 degrees. What do you think? I also thought he would get over this after the chemo. We may have to move to the arctic. I may have to figure out how to remake his coats into pajamas for me.

HA-CHOO! They money we save on heating bills should be enough to cover his check ups.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

:lol sending warm thoughts for Glynis & Craig and cool thoughts for Winslow

Glad to hear he is getting his own way and keeping everyone in line

October 30, 2007

I asked Glynis if Winslow was watching the auction.....

MY ART IS BEING UPSTAGED BY A DOG!!!! I WENT TO SCHOOL! I WAS TRAINED BY FAMOUS PAINTERS!!!! I WILL NEVER LIVE THIS DOWN!!! I HAVE TO LIVE WITH WINSLOW!!!

HE'S OVER THERE CRACKING UP AS I WRITE THIS!!! Mr. Competitive will never let me hear the end of it. I CAN HEAR IT NOW... "Winslow, can I please borrow YOUR studio today?" "Can I use some of YOUR paint?"....

WINSLOWAUCTION.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Oh dear - he does look a tad smug...just think, you taught him everything he knows, so clearly you are a greyt teacher!!

Could someone post a link to the auction that these paintings are on? I'd like to see the work of BOTH the artists!! :D

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

November 1, 2007

Hi Diane,

We hope you have recovered from the auction madness.

Winslow is having a good week.. He was so excited about the auction. Such fun! Then there was swimming yesterday. The horses had it really steamed up and they were making so much noise. Winslow went right on and swam 7 double laps without any problem. Next week we try 9. His weight is holding at 77.2 so he looks sleek and he's feeling good. Very fuzzy.

We had Halloween last night. Of course Winslow had to check out the costumes. I usually just step outside because the little kids think he's a wolf and he's bigger than most of them. All was going along fine until we got a visit from the Merry old land of OZ. I know these kids and they know Winslow, so all was well UNTIL he spied the stuffed TOTO in Dorothy's basket. Needless to say, a scene ensued. I was able to rescue TOTO from the jaws of the wolf and return him to his basket while ushering the little ones out the door. In the end, the kids got candy, TOTO got slobbered on and Winslow got a treat. Pretty good Halloween, I'd say.

Today, it's been absolutely beautiful here. Winslow spent most of the day lounging on the deck. He's tired from his activities, but the weather is just so right for him. A very happy boy.

I hope all is going well at your house and the pack is healthy.

Glynis

life is good

lifeisgood.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I know these kids and they know Winslow, so all was well UNTIL he spied the stuffed TOTO in Dorothy's basket. Needless to say, a scene ensued. I was able to rescue TOTO from the jaws of the wolf and return him to his basket while ushering the little ones out the door. In the end, the kids got candy, TOTO got slobbered on and Winslow got a treat. Pretty good Halloween, I'd say.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...

November 11, 2007

Hi Diane,

Well, things here at Winslow's house are moving right along. He's feeling good and swimming every week. Since he had the time off for his foot, he's been rebuilding stamina gradually. Last Wednesday, he swam 9 laps. His weight is good. His fur is still soft and fluffy and he's finally accepting the time change.

Winslow has learned yet another trick. Seems this old dog is full of 'em. The latest is this:

When his neck, head or ear itches, he of course sits down and scratches with the hind leg. Usually I see him do it and will go over and give the other side a good scratch, just in case. Obviously there's no way he can do the left side with no hind leg.

He had an itch on the left yesterday and he came over to me and started twitching his left ear and sort of shaking his head. Then he stopped and looked at me. I was wondering what this was about, so I watched him and he did it again. I knew he wanted something so I started to examine his neck and ear to see if he was ok. As soon as I touched his neck, he started shaking his stump like he would if he were scratching. So I started giving him a good scratch. His stump was going crazy! I was laughing so hard and he was just loving it! This afternoon, same thing. So, now we know when he needs that side scratched.

Winslow's message to all POTs. (Parents Of Tripods): Don't forget to scratch where we can't reach! Those of us with hind leg amps have a whole side that needs to be scratched!

We are going into our 2nd winter with Winslow as a tripod. Last year, I believe it was you, Diane who told me to be careful about his feet in winter. Since he only has 3, they spend a lot more time on the ground and they get colder than a dog with 4. I'm very careful to buy the ice melting products that are harmless to dogs. I don't walk him on roads that have been salted and I put a dab of Musher's Wax on his feet before he goes out in the snow. I also wipe his feet with a baby wipe when he comes home. Boots, (as I discovered with his foot problem a month ago) are not an option for Winslow. He will not wear them.

I hope everything at your house is going well and all are back to good health. I have to go because somebody (guess who!) wants to have the TV on if I'm going to be upstairs for more than 5 minutes. He likes to watch hgtv. No screaming or shooting. Just talk.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Winslow we are your biggest fans here on GT. How I would have loved to have seen you needing a scratch, good thing you are such a good communicator and you have your person trained! :lol You rock Winslow.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Oh wow...I am just catching up with this thread. Glynis was generous and offered a pet portrait on Diane's auction for GAN. I was lucky enough to win it and have been working with Glynis on getting her some pics of my boy Bounty....I can't wait to see what she creates....

I had no idea what all she had been thru with Winslow! He sounds like an amazing dog!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

As I sit here in the hotel with high speed, waiting for my dear Carrier - I have finally read and watched all the videos and admired the photos. Winslow, you are an inspiration. Hugs and kisses a million times over.

btw, how old are you?

Edited by LadyBailey

November 13, 2007

Hi Diane,

Winslow and I were lurking around on Greytalk today. Craig is in Delaware and the boy is missing his dad (although Craig called him twice today already). I was reading the story about Brody to Winslow. We are worried about his situation and wonder if he still needs a coat. Winslow, aka Hot Dog says he would be happy to donate one of his coats for Brody. They are nothing too special, medium weight polar fleece. Soft on the skin and warm. Easy to put on and off. (I made them). Obviously Winslow is still not wearing a coat this winter. I have one from a couple of years ago that is kind of small for him. From the looks of it, the poor guy could use more than one... I imagine that kind of skin problem will require more laundry. Anyway, Winslow would like to help.

I'm off to buy more bananas and some kind of cleaner for my laptop screen and keys. Banana is our latest "sharing" food. Eggs in the morning, banana in the afternoon. I've told him a hundred times... "Keep your snooty off the computer when you have banana in your mouth." You should see this keyboard and screen! Yuk.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits