Winslow's Diary

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As many of you know, I met Winslow this past weekend! What a sweet boy :wub: He throws quite the party also!

WinslowDiane.jpg

September 11, 2007

Hi Diane,

Well, you and I are worn out from the weekend activities, but Mr. Party Animal here is rarin' to go.

Late this morning, he was crying at the kitchen counter. He was fed, walked and had a brief snooze, everything he needed, right? EXCEPT the new toy that Becky and Sean brought to the party. Now mind you this is a water toy and I was saving it for swimming. So much for that! Ol' eagle eye knows when there's something new. He wanted that toy. Ok, no harm in that. I figured that he would see that it doesn't squeak, isn't fuzzy, and that would be the end of it. But no, not Winslow.. He threw it, chased it, chewed it, growled at it and finally bit it so hard that now it will sink when I put it in the pool. He loves this thing!

Winslowball1.jpg

Winslowball2.jpg

Then, around noon, Ute stopped by with a bag of peaches. Since every bag, package and piece of mail has to be checked by Mr. BigNose, he immediately went for it. I took the peaches out and put a piece of Burpcake in and just handed him the bag. Oh, what fun!!

There are video and stills of this mornings events.

Winslowopen1.jpg

winslowopen2.jpg

Winslowopen3.jpg

Winslowopen4.jpg

He had a good weekend, a good party, and now, a good nap.

We hope this helps to entertain you today, or at least keep you awake at work. I'm off to clean up the mess.

Glynis

On Saturday Glynis and I went to a cute little town (Middleburg maybe?) and went into a thrift store that benefits a humane society. I saw Goofy and bought it for Winslow. He seemed to like it. Then this morning I received this--how can he get any cuter?:

Goofy has been lurking around the bed for days, but this is a new

configuration. I cracked up when I saw it.

He usually doesn't keep them around this long, but I think he's in love or

something.

Glynis

WinslowGoofy.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

:wub:

I like that pic of you and Winslow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This is just the most special dog.

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

It was great to see you again Diane, most of all it was a thrill to meet Winslow and his humans. Let me tell you this pup has got it made. Glynis and Craig you are two of the most dedicated greyhound peeps I've meet! Thank you for opening your home to us this weekend, it was nice to meet Winslow's fan club. The conversations were great, good food and a most excellent band!

Winslow you are something else sweetie, continued good health for you.

Praying for all the missing greys!

September 12, 2007

Good Morning!

I hope you finally got some rest and your babies are doing better today. I was reading about those therapaw things .. Maybe they could help heal corns?

Speaking of boots:

Someone once told me that the time that Winslow's feet are on the ground when walking or trotting is longer because he only has 3. Boots in winter were suggested. The idea sounded good to protect his feet, but logically seems impossible. I can't even lift his feet to wipe them off. He's not stable enough to balance on 2 feet so I can't imagine how I would put boots on him. Also, I don't know how he would feel about stability on the stairs, etc.

(Yes, Winslow saw the video of the 2 legged greyhound on YOUTUBE. He said, "NO WAY")

When I walk him, I do take this foot theory into consideration. In the winter, I try to stay away from salted areas and walk him on the softer snow. I also keep him moving so he doesn't get cold. In summer we don't walk on pavement which also helps his heat issues.

I take special care of his feet, using Musher's wax in the winter and examining them frequently. I do his nails every week with a dremel so I can't get them too short.

I don't know what we would do if he had a foot injury, or even a corn. I suppose one boot if he needed it would be doable, but the foot issue is always one of my biggest fears, especially with the stairs.

Winslow went swimming this morning and saw a horse who was swimming for the first time... She was a little unsettled, so Winslow showed her how it's done. He did ALL 15 double laps today! His weight is up to 78 lbs. That's a gain of about 1/2 pound. No more midnight snacks!

Winslow's favorite bedtime snack: Burpdust over nonfat yogurt. Yummy for him and reduces the nighttime output of noxious gasses caused from eating canned food. This is important to us since we all sleep together and I don't fancy the idea of buying gas masks for Craig and me. (It has been a consideration.)

Have a good day...

Glynis, Winslow and Goofy.

September 16, 2007

Hi Diane,

I sent your package today, so you should have it by Tues. or Wed.

When we received your package, of course, Winslow had to have the box. All mail is his mail and he loves packages. Here's a photo and a video.

Winslowbox1.jpg

I hope Mahogany has gotten over her problems and all is well at your house.

Glynis

September 16, 2007

Look at these two photos. Do you think Goofy is a Greyhound?

Glynis

Goofypillow.jpg

Winslowpillow.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

September 21, 2007

Hi Diane,

How's everything? Did you get Mahogony straightened out? I hope she's doing well and your deadlines aren't too bad. If you need any other info for the auction, let me know.

We are now living in the house of hair and dog. I'm permanently attached to the vacuum cleaner so we don't get buried alive. All that beautiful, soft, extra fluff that Winslow has is now falling out. He's not shedding, he's MOULTING! Medically, I'm not worried about it because he's not losing real greyhound hair, but the wierd, new, fluffy coat that he grew in the spring and summer. (Does something sound backward here???). He's feeling really good, too, so I'm thinking what goes up must come down. But this stuff is everywhere! It's like dryer lint! I vacuum everything every day, INCLUDING WINSLOW!

I'm about to call the vet and ask for that furball medicine they give to cats. I probably have a huge furball in my stomach!.. I wake up with it in my eyes and mouth. Every time I blow my nose- dog hair! I vacuum the bed every night.

If it continues at this rate, I could just pour glue on the floors and wait for it to turn into carpet! Do you know if you can vacuum a cooked chicken?

Since Winslow is still hot, he's right in front of the fan, so it's not just falling, it's FLYING and it sticks to everything. I have to vacuum the TV every time we watch it. I have stopped wearing anything dark and told others not to wear dark colors to our house.

When I took him swimming on Wednesday, I tried to wash some of the fuzz off in the shower, but still had a full bucket today.. The odd thing is he doesn't look like he's losing it. He's still fluffy and overgrown.

Do me a favor. If you don't hear from me for awhile, send someone with a shop vac and a shovel. This would mean that either my Dyson gave up, or I did.

And what do you suppose Winslow thinks of all of this?

Winslowbighairball.jpg

By the way, Winslow's new name is Shedrick Porkboy and he's on a diet. 78.6 lbs. Too much.... No more lunches, leftover egg and a big reduction of the biscuits.

Evo now makes the 95% meat in RABBIT! I give Winslow a can of that now and then... He says " Wow! I finally got the bunny and I didn't even have to run!" (He loves it!).

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Glynis cracks me up! She's got such a wonderful sense of humor. :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Hysterical as usual!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I love it! You vacuum Winslow! Wouldn't happen in this house - the vacuum is known around here as the "Greyt Greyhound Murderer". You bring it out - they disappear. Has it murdered a greyhound? Not yet, but you never know... Better to quietly disappear than take a chance...

Loved the package video. It reminded me of the story of Bonnie on Circle of Grey - whose owners came home to find her wandering around the house with an empty ice cream carton on her head!

Way to go Winslow - You're Wonderful!

This is an amazing story. Parents and pup are both so brave. Prayers for many years of good health for Winslow.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• 2 weeks later...

October 1, 2007

Hi Diane,

I haven't written because everything has until now been going along smoothly. Winslow swam last week without incident and all was well.....

Here we go again. I feel like it's some kind of nightmare revisited. This is a really long email.

Saturday afternoon on Winslow's neighborhood walk, I noticed him limping. It's kind of hard to tell on a tripod because his gait is awkward anyway, but I was sure I noticed a slight limp coming from the right front. When we got home, I washed his foot and examined his pads.

He's had a pad that looked bigger and flatter than the others for a long time. I never knew if he was born like that or if it was a result of his amputation. It never seemed to bother him. But now, that seemed to be the culprit. The toe was maybe a little sore, but not really painful. Winslow allowed me to look for corns (none) and anything that may have become embedded (again, nothing). He's a big baby, but didn't seem to mind, so I know it didn't hurt that much.

By Saturday evening when he went out, he was limping more. Again, I examined it and we determined that it didn't hurt unless he put weight on it. I went up and down his arm and shoulder... nothing. Also, no yelping when he did put weight on it. Winslow is very vocal. This whole thing seems to be coming from his foot and possibly that toe. I put some antibiotic cream on the pad in question. Winslow slept well, with no pain.

Sunday morning. Ok, he's really limping. Still no swelling, no reason, but he's licking that toe a lot! Let me tell you that a three legged dog is one thing... a two legged one is quite a different matter. Surprisingly, Winslow made it down the stairs and into the car without incident. Off to Gaithersburg for xrays and a consultation. After much ado, they found NOTHING. They showed me the radiographs, enlarged them and could find nothing. The vet said she thought it was a soft tissue injury of some kind, but she saw nothing either. She agreed that it's coming from the foot itself and not somewhere else. The really good news is there is no sign of the cancer returning.

They sent the xrays to be read and I should hear something late this afternoon. I also had her give a set to the oncologist and the othopaedic surgeon that amputated his leg. They are all at the same place. (Far to drive, but overall, very convenient). Ok, NO RIMADYL or NSAID of any kind. She gave me some tramadol and sent us home. I didn't give him any drugs yet... read on.

When we got home, Winslow bounded up those stairs like a champ. But it was obvious that this foot thing was getting worse. I began moving us back to the basement. ( Craig has to be in NY this week and I cannot imagine manuevering a 78 lb, 2 legged dog up and down flights of stairs!). So, remembering our last stay in the basement, I moved our big bed, my painting work, and computer. We removed Craig's drums and VIOLA! We're back on the ground level, and right outside is Winslow's yard. No stairs. We took Winslow out for his last pee of the night( which went into my shoes.. 2 legged dogs need help and can't aim).

He knew he couldn't make it up the stairs and he came right to the gate, into the basement and went to bed. This was 10:00 last night. His foot was beginning to swell. Not the ankle, the top of the foot, right at the toes. Now, it's a little painful to the touch, but only on the foot.

It looks suspiciously like the bone spur problem he had before his amp. Winslow has a bone spur that broke off a couple of years ago. Periodically he would run and then limp for a couple of days and this foot would swell like that. He's doing the same kind of licking, chewing kind of thing that he did when that happened. It only ever happened when he was running and that's why I started the swimming after his amp. To keep this from happening. The xray did not show this bone spur. Now, his foot looks like a malmute foot but his "wrist" isn't even swollen at all.

I have not given him any tramadol because he's only in pain when he tries to walk on it. This only happens when he needs to go out. I've been holding him up to do his business (ruined shoes again). Otherwise, he's on the bed. We had the tramadol experience with his amp. I cannot imagine trying to hold up a drugged dog so he can pee. All it does is confuse him and make helping him more difficult. Since he's not having constant pain, I'm just not going to give it to him. He likes ice on it. This morning, he was squeaking his toy and ate a good breakfast. We managed to go out for "business in the yard" and he's sleeping well now.

This feels bad, but I think it could be much worse. Craig is calling every hour. This is killing him to be away. I think it's worse for him than for us.

Any suggestions or insights to this would be welcomed.

Glynis

2007_1001winslow0002.jpg

2007_1001winslow0004.jpg

2007_1001winslow0001.jpg

So, GT people -- prayers needed!!!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Aw, poor Winslow. It's definitely swollen. I wonder if icing it would help? Or cold hosing it?

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Whatever this is, it hasn't stopped him from hanging on to his treat ball with that paw! We went out, he hopped around on 2 legs and stopped so I could hold him up. He did his business and hopped back in. He only needs help when he stops. He wants to go on a walk!! Go figure.

When we came back in, he got on the bed and I could see he was so proud of himself! All smiles. He didn't lick the foot this time. Laser is helping. He also likes warmth on it. I have been giving him a warmed rice bag. He likes that.

Glynis

2007_1001winslowball0016.jpg

2007_1001winslowball0019.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Sending prayers and gentle ear scritches for Winslow. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

100% sure not a bee sting? They can do that, especially if the stinger is still in there somewhere. If you run your fingers very gently over all his little footsie surfaces, it'll feel like a little piece of wire amongst the hair.

Whatever it is, hope it is better soon! He's too cute to have a malamute foot!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

October 2, 2007

I just spoke to the oncologist. I'm going to try giving him some benadryl. If I can get this swelling down a bit I'll take him back to VCA tomorrow morning and maybe we can get to the bottom of it. If the benadryl helps, that should point to a bite or allergy of some kind.

They are really trying to help. He doesn't want to give steroids because Winslow has never had them and he had such a bad reaction to the nsaids and it was so sudden. I'm going to ask them to numb his foot before they start prying around. Can they do that? Local anesthetic? I just don't want him to have any more pain.

I'm telling you this is some kind of really bad bruise or something. I don't want to take him in tomorrow because I think he needs the rest, yet I'm afraid not to because so far, he's not getting better or worse.

I soaked his foot in epsom salts.. that seems to make it feel better. I think it's the warmth. I just keep trying and hoping it will just disappear.

Winslow doesn't like the sling because it keeps him from moving fast enough to keep his balance. He runs on 2 legs, then squats and I dash in and hold him while he goes. Then we do it again. I'll get someone to make a video of him running on 2 legs. It's a sight. I'm just glad I didn't let him get too fat and the swimming has kept him in good shape for this.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I suggested she inspect the foot with a magnifying glass :)

Good idea! I just did it. Magnifying glass and flashlight. Some bruising from the swelling, but otherwise, nothing.

Dr. Couto didn't have much info. Apparently this isn't a cancer related thing, but either an injury or bite or sting. I spoke with my oncologist, too. He said ok on the benadryl. Gave him one at 12:00. Diameter of big foot was 7.25 inches. At 3:00 it was 6.75 inches. He's sleeping well and allowing me to touch it and examine it more closely.

I've decided to take him to the vet tomorrow. I want them to check this again. If the benadryl helps and it's getting better then he can have his cancer check up. Our friend John Frye will go with me and help me get him there. The oncologist will only do stuff that allows him to lay down and he won't be standing much.

We really need this to go away. Right now, he's feeling pretty good. Get this:

Winslow has figured out how to lean on the fence to pee. Smart boy.

Glynis

Now, I'm scared- This from Dr. Couto:

The chest Xrays would be helpful, since there is a syndrome (hypertrophic osteopathy or HO) that we see in hounds with pulmonary tumors that causes leg swelling, and initially the leg X rays are normal. I would strongly consider using Deramaxx.

Ok, Chest xray is on for tomorrow.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

October 3, 2007

Diane,

I'm waiting for John to arrive and then we are off to the vet. Winslow did much better last night with the benadryl. The foot is still very swollen and quite sore, but he slept better and didn't seem restless. I gave him 1/2 of a tramadol at 5 am after he went out, and he's sleeping now. Hopefully he'll be more relaxed in the car and not feel like he has to stand up and look out the window. I did notice that his balance on 2 legs is getting pretty good. I can't believe it. He's actually adapting to it. I really thought we were at the limit when he had his amp. I always said that I didn't think he would survive an injury on another leg. But, here we are, and he's coping with it.

This time around, living in the basement hasn't been as bad. I've been here since Sunday. Winslow knows the drill this time and he doesn't mind being here. Last time he was so confused. Now, he seems to welcome the idea of no stairs. Also, I brought the big bed this time and that makes a big difference. I'm just glad we have someplace to go when there are problems like this.

Well, it's almost time to go. I'm really scared and trying not to show it to Winslow. He hates going to the vet anyway, although he does it without too much complaint. I just hope everything works out today.

Glynis

Sending lots of prayers to Winslow and Glynis and lots of hugs!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Lots of white light and prayers going out to Winslow that they find out what his problem is, can treat it and make him feel better.

Keep us posted - Winslow's posts are so wonderful that he feels like part of all of our families.