Winslow's Diary

Just a bug bite...just a bug bite... :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eee..now I'm going to be on pins and needles until we get a pupdate! :goodluck :goodluck

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Hi Diane,

We are back from the vet... 9 hours. a long day.

Here's the rundown:

GOOD NEWS!

Chest xrays appear normal. They have to be sent to radiologist, but from what they can see, all is well with the lungs.!!!! They also did xrays of the left and right wrist and right leg. They saw nothing. They brought in Dr. Massat who did his amputation in January. He thought this was the beginning of an abscess, so they did a fine needle aspiration. No pus or bacteria noted. They still believe this is the beginning of an abscess and or severe cellulitis, so he got antibiotics and we are at home. 15 days of Clavamox, a Tramadol and Benadryl as needed and a revisit in 9 days unless there is no improvement.

A controlled HOORAY! When we get the radiology report, then I will be shouting it out!.

Now, Winslow is totally asleep and I'm about to join him!

Glynis

From me: :confetti

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I talked with Glynis yesterday. She was concerned she would not be able to lift Winslow into, or out of, the car. No need to worry--he jumped right in and jumped right out at the vet's office and proceeded to trot into the vet's office using two legs! Yes, you read that right, he is walking around (or rather running/walking fast to keep balance) on two legs. Glynis mentioned getting a video and I said, yes, you must!

The staff and vet were amazed he was running around on two legs because of his size.

Never underestimate a greyhound :wub:

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

October 4, 2007

Hi Diane,

We were out this morning and I did a few video clips. They are attached. It's hard to do because I have to keep stopping to help Winslow, but I did notice that his balance is getting a lot better. I just don't want to let him fall. I noticed in the video that he's been putting his foot down a bit, and that's a real improvement from yesterday. Hooray!!

Hopefully Winslow won't be limping like this tomorrow, but if he is, we'll do it again because it's pretty amazing.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Wow. Just. Wow. Good boy :)

Oh, and I'm sure Dr. Couto would love to see those - he was thrilled when I sent him the video of that tiny 2 legged greyhound, Dominic.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I am doing a quiet happy dance that it seems to be nothing serious. The loud, racous happy dancing will occur once the total clean bill of health comes in!!

I am so in love with this boy... :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

FABULOUS NEWS!

ALL TESTS ARE IN.... EVERYTHING IS GOOD. NO SIGNS OF MALFUNCTIONING ORGANS.... NO CANCER!!!!!! HOORAY!

They don't know what this foot issue is, and we are treating it like infection... but they do know HE'S CANCER FREE!

PARTY TIME FOR WINSLOW!!!!!!

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Now THAAAAT's what I'm talkin' about - that's the news that gets the happy dance!!! :bounce8:bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1:clap:confetti :confetti :confetti:pinkele :pinkele :rivethead :rivethead :rivethead :rivethead :rivethead:clap :clap :clap:bounce :bounce :bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1:banana :banana :inlove :inlove :confetti

:yay:yay:bounce1:baloons That is Great News!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so HAPPY FOR YOU ALL!!!!!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

October 4, 2007

We are feeling really good about this! No matter what this foot thing is, it's not cancer.

Winslow had company today. Ute stopped by to visit him.. He sure played up the boo boo for her. Then I showed her the video of him running around the yard.

Mr. Spoiled Butt is watching tv after being served dinner in bed. He's taking the bedrest thing very seriously.

Glynis.

October 5, 2007

Good Morning Diane,

Well, last night I found out that ALL BENADRYL IS NOT CREATED EQUAL. Before I took Winslow back to the vet, I asked if I could give him Benadryl instead of Tramadol. My thinking was that he wasn't having that much pain and we didn't know if this foot thing could be a bite or something. ( I had 3 benadryls here that I got from the vet back in January. They were little red capsules.) He said go ahead. Well, the Benadryl seemed to work well. Although it didn't do much for the swelling, Winslow slept well, wasn't agitated (too much Tramadol does that) and seemed to be less painful.

At the vet visit on Wed., Dr. Calo said I could keep giving him the Benadryl so I asked for more. He said just by the plain Benadryl at the drugstore... Since Benadryl now gives their meds all kinds of names, I went on their website to see which ones didn't have all kinds of additional sinus medication. OK... it was Benadryl Allergy. They were 25mg. tabs. (the ones from the vet were 50mg). I bought them. I gave him 2 at about 6pm. yesterday.

An hour later he was panting, his eyes were wild, he was urinating every hour. He wet the bed and he was obviously agitated. He had this same reaction after his amp when they gave him codeine. I fed him small amounts of food and kept giving him more water trying to flush this crap out of his system.

After about 11 hours (5:am) he was fine again and sleeping peacefully... He's totally over it now. I'll call the vet this morning and tell him. No more Benadryl from the drugstore. There's something in there that disagrees. I would bet there's an additional antihistimine. ( I have the same reaction as he had when I take NYQUIL.)

I would suspect the Clavamox, but he had 4 doses of that without incident. I also think this diarrhea episode last night may have been part of the Benadryl problem because he only had it last night. I am giving acidopholus as you suggested anyway because the antibiotics will kill off the friendly flora. That was a really good idea. He had his Clavamox this morning, without incident.

Craig got home just in time for the action last night. Poor guy got no sleep. He's feeling the Deja Vu of Winslow's amp, living in the basement, drug reactions, etc.

We are all doing better this morning and hoping to see some improvement in Winslow's foot. It's still very swollen and very sore although I have seen him put it down more and he's ok if I touch it, GENTLY.

Well, there's a lot of laundry this morning..

Glynis

October 6, 2007

Good Morning Diane,

Here's an update from Casa De Winslow:

Last night, the big boy slept pretty well. He got up maybe once to go out, and didn't need help going. He's got the pee thing figured out. The poo is a different matter. I changed sheets a couple of times yesterday because he seems to step backward before hopping away.

Speaking of poo, the big D is now a little d. I think the acidophilus is really helping. We also increased his morning yogurt by a tablespoon. No complaints from Winslow on that.

The swelling on his foot is going down slowly. It's down from malamute to german shepherd size. There is a big bruise where they shaved for the aspiration. I'm not sure if it's the cause or just a result of the swelling. The concern is that he's still not putting weight on it. If his toes touch the ground, he doesn't scream, but he's still running on 2 cylinders. They xrayed every part of his front end and found nothing to cause this. Hopefully it will go away soon.

Winslow is a good patient. The vet said bed rest, Winslow said "Oh yea!". He couldn't be happier. He loves being served his food and water in bed. He receives visitors who climb right in with him. He has his tv, computer, fanny and toys. He makes no efforts to get up, except moving to the dog bed (where I sleep!) so I can make the big bed for him.

I would be concerned about this, but Winslow is VERY OBVIOUSLY not sick. He is demanding. He whines for his treats and knows exactly when it's mealtime. He's such an alarm clock. He's playing with toys in bed and gets up to turn around, throw a toy for me to retrieve and flop back down again.

This is like having a small child with chicken pox. I read to him. We play the shell game. I try to keep his mind active so he doesn't get bored. The good thing about this is that we are living in Craig's office. While Craig is working, I can get out and do what I need to do. Winslow loves "daddy day care".

I can hear Winslow saying," The last time we did this, I didn't know I could have it so good. This time, I'm taking full advantage!"

We go back to the vet on Wednesday. I'm not trying to move out of the basement too soon. I want him to be well before he has to start using the stairs again. We still don't have a reason for this. I'm not sure if the antibiotics are fixing it or if it's just going away on it's own. Truthfully, I don't care as long as it goes away.. I'm not going to continue probing for an answer unless it remains painful. We know it's not cancer, and that's most important.

Since Winslow's amp, I have said that my worst nightmare would be if something happened to one of his remaining legs. Well, it has and we are surviving. We all feel very fortunate that this isn't a lot worse. We smile.

Glynis

Winslowfootrecover.jpg

winslowfootrec2.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Winslow is such a wonderful boy. THank you for sharing him with us all. I hope his foot is fine in no time.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest LolasMom

Oh my, from those pictures it certainly looks like Winslow is convalescing in royal fashion. :lol

Feel better sweetie and lets have that swelling disappear once and for all. :wub::wub:

I think I see a hint of smile on the face of the patient! He knows he is livin' large and lovin' every minute of it! That boy needs about a million kissies - and mke one from me, if you could!

October 10, 2007

Good Morning Diane,

Winslow was back at the vet this morning for a check up. Although there is no diagnosis on this, it's getting better every day. So, Dr. Calo is pleased with the progress. He's still prescribing bed rest, so that means no swimming for 2 weeks, minimal walks in the neighborhood and no stairs until he stops limping completely. Otherwise, he says Winslow looks fabulous. The swelling is just about gone, he's bearing weight, but still limping. It's all in the foot, right above his toes.

We could be in the basement for another 2 weeks. That's longer than it was for his amp, but we don't want to re-injure this or injure something else by making him do stairs when he's not ready.

Winslow is loving the attention. He's happy to be down here with his dad and have his big bed, too. Although he's getting more restless with each day, he's getting visitors, so that makes him happy.

We don't have to go back until January.. HOORAY!

Glynis

www.glynisberger.com new art 8/07!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits