Winslow's Diary

Diane I am thankful that Glynis gives her permission for you to share with us too - I don't think they're odd at all! We do everything we can for our pups because they are part of the family. A family with a sick skin kid would move their bedroom to the dining room if it was called for, why not do it for a fur kid too?

Winslow sounds delightful and the toy in the bag on the porch story just cracked me up! He's really got them trained, doesn't he? ;)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip> We hope someday to meet you and your Mom and Miss Diane, to thank them for being an inspiration to so many others.

Nancy

Hey Nancy - you aren't that far away from us here in MD. In early September Diane is flying in from Houston to stay for the weekend with Winslow and family and will be vending at our Greyhound Welfare picnic. Everyone is welcome to attend the picnic with their greys regardless of where they adopted them from. Clicky for more info. It would be great to see you there!

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

• 3 weeks later...

August 15, 2007

CALL JENNY CRAIG! I took Winslow swimming this morning and just as I suspected.. a whopping 78.4 lbs.!!! I thought he looked a little heavier when I got back. Craig said he was really energetic all week and not too hot. Totally unexplainable. It's been very hot here- record highs.

Yesterday, he was all over the neighborhood and went on more walks than just necessity. Socializing and visiting with all the neighbors. Today, he swam 12 double laps and 2 singles, all without complaint. He usually gets tired around lap 9 and I have to really encourage him to do the last one. He's been playing with his toys more and not really begging for food. For the last few days, we have been decreasing the food just a little bit and he's been getting more exercise. Hopefully we can stablilze and perhaps lose a few just with the extra walks. I really do believe this has to do with the chemo getting out of his system.

Have you ever heard of dogs eating peaches? Winslow is suddenly interested in peaches and nectarines. I cave him a really tiny piece and he loves it! Are they bad for dogs? I know about the seeds, but I wonder if a small bit of it is ok. He has always loved brocolli, but peaches?

Glynis

Me, :lol thinking about decreasing food :rolleyes: and I received this today:

August 17, 2007

Hi Diane,

I was eating breakfast this morning. Eggs. I wasn't at the table, but sitting on a chair in the kitchen. Winslow, who never, ever, steals food, walked right up to the plate on my lap and just stuck his tongue in it. He's like an anteater. Just shot the old tongue out there and back. Didn't try to grab anything, but just put enough slobber on the plate that I really didn't want to eat it. Then, he just stood there looking at me. I could hear it loud and clear, "You gonna eat that?" Of course, I gave it to him. He ate the remaining egg and did a dance afterward. I know I heard him laughing.

Have a good day.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I was eating breakfast this morning. Eggs. I wasn't at the table, but sitting on a chair in the kitchen. Winslow, who never, ever, steals food, walked right up to the plate on my lap and just stuck his tongue in it. He's like an anteater. Just shot the old tongue out there and back. Didn't try to grab anything, but just put enough slobber on the plate that I really didn't want to eat it. Then, he just stood there looking at me. I could hear it loud and clear, "You gonna eat that?" Of course, I gave it to him. He ate the remaining egg and did a dance afterward. I know I heard him laughing.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Hi Diane,

Have a good day.

Glynis

Just when you think it can't get funnier! I SO look forward to these posts. I hope someday Winslow's "diary" can be published, maybe in CG or maybe on it's own, with photos of course.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hi Diane,

I was looking at some old photos of Winslow and it became obvious why he is

so hot. The chemo must have done something to make him grow all of this

hair. It's truly amazing. Look at the before and after. His hair is

growing longer and he's not shedding. He's so very soft and FLUFFY! Yikes!

he's going Borzoi !

Glynis

Winslowbald.jpg

Winslowhair.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

:lol He DOES have more hair than before!

No kidding, that is wild! I thought chemo made you lose your hair!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest figbykal

Diane

Thank you for posting this wonderful thread. The information is invaluable and the diary/letter entries so heart warming. Please send Glynis and Winslow my best. It is always so wonderful to read the stores of such devoted humans and their animals. Glynis should get a standing ovation for her sheer determination. And Winslow, well he is just so special.

k :ig

August 21, 2007

I was painting all morning, supervised of course, by the critic with the big nose. After I got finished, Winslow had to show me how it's really done. Of course, he cranks out 2 masterpieces, just like that!

He swears he's related to Jackson Pollock, or at least, his dog.

He says you can have one of these for the auction.. I'll add some photos of him at work and of course, he'll sign it for you.

Glynis

2007_0821Winslowpaints0002.jpg

2007_0821Winslowpaints0004.jpg

2007_0821Winslowpaints0012.jpg

2007_0821Winslowpaints0016.jpg

2007_0821Winslowpaints0018.jpg

2007_0821Winslowpaints0020.jpg

2007_0821Winslowpaints0037.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

2007_0821Winslowpaints0037.jpg

Look how proud he is. Gosh, that brought tears to my eyes. Stupid allergies...

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I quite like his work. Especially the one on the right. He is beyond adorable. :wub:

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Thanks so much for sharing your amp experiences with Winslow. It's been such a long two weeks since Bodie's amp that I wonder if life will ever return to normal. I want my beautiful happy boy back and that wonderful picture of Winslow showing off his paintings gives me heart. Some day this madness WILL be all over and my boy will be well and happy again. Thanks so much for sharing your story.

Guest FreddyGirl

Diane. Winslow's story is truly inspirational. He is such a special and talented boy. Look at the concentration on his face while he paints. I swear he learned how to paint from you. Reading this thread is so uplifting. I hope that his next vet visit goes well. Sending ear scritches and best wishes to all of you. :thumbs-up

Guest figbykal

Diane

Please convey to Craig and Glynis that we are all pulling for this incredible boy and his humans. Sending loads of white light their way. I must say that Winslow's artistic abilities are wonderful. I work in acrylics and I think I could learn a thing or two about spontenaity from him!

k

August 27, 2007

Hi Diane,

Just for kicks I was playing the shell game with Winslow this morning. It's

very hot here and he needs to keep his mind active. The pool was closed

last week for maintenance. He's been going out for the Jammie Jogs at 3:AM

and sleeping all day, so I thought we should do something a little

different.

Smart boy.. he gets the treat every time. He just watches me very

carefully. I should take him to NY. If they would play it with paper cups

and a treat, we could win some money.

Glynis

2007_0827winslow0004.jpg

2007_0827winslow0005.jpg

2007_0827winslow0006.jpg

2007_0827winslow0007.jpg

2007_0827winslow0009.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

:wub::wub: Winslow, you are something. I'm beginning to think that not only do you think you are human, but that you might just be part human.
Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

August 29, 2007

Hi Diane,

Winslow finds a turtle. (his version of "Horton Hears a Who")

Yesterday was cooler so Winslow enjoyed his morning walk more than usual. On our regular trail, Winslow found a turtle. When he first saw it, he jumped back. Then, a closer look. Then, a butt sniff. Yep, Winslow butt sniffed a turtle. The turtle of course went right into it's shell. Winslow jumped back again. Then another sniff. and another. The turtle wasn't coming out. Ok, enough torture. We finished our walk and went home.

2 hours later, Winslow wants out. Ok, well, it's cool outside and another walk is ok. Off we go. Winslow makes a beeline for the trail. As soon as we get to the space where the turtle was, Winslow drops that big ol' nose and starts looking. He was sniffing bushes, following the scent, searching for the turtle. Nothing. We go home. By the way, the reason for this walk was only to search for the turtle. We went out at least 3 more times yesterday. Each time, Winslow went on a search for his turtle. Finally, after a good night's sleep, he forgot the turtle.

Winslow had his swim today. He did 13 double laps and is now a sleek 77.6 lbs. I think this weight is good. He's not hungry and not having any problems with the stairs. I can see a little rib when the sun hits him just right or when he's wet. He's so fuzzy now it's hard to tell. But he seems really healthy at this weight, so I think we can hold it there... hopefully... maybe, well, if he stops eating my eggs in the morning.

Craig went to the pool with us today and Winslow certainly put on the show for his dad. Esther Williams! He ran into the water, danced around outside and was really proud of himself. He kept eye contact with Craig while he was doing his laps and came out of the pool wagging his whole butt! This was the first time Craig got to go with us and he was impressed! Winslow didn't swim last week, but the 13th lap was easy for him. He's really getting in shape. Says he wants a Speedo for his birthday next year.

Have a good trip to SF. If I don't see you in the airport, I'll see you next Friday night.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits