Winslow's Diary

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The catapulted into the car bit made me do a big loud unladylike laugh :D

Glad to hear that he is 'home' and preparing to receive visitors this weekend :wub:

Darcy sends a large sniff :beatheart

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

June 26, 2009

Good Afternoon, Diane,

Well, Winslow has resumed his usual habits. His clock is working just fine now and he was asking for his biscuit and yogurt right on cue this morning. He has figured out that we wont make him stand up for anything, so he wants his water served and toys brought to him as well. He doesnt want the water here and only bottled will do. (he gets filtered water at home) He also doesnt like the shape of the ice cubes in the ice machine. He did like the egg I brought him from the hotel breakfast and likes the AC here (way too much). Not a huge fan of the mattress, but the pillows and comforter suit him just fine. Hes been spending some time on his favorite dog bed, but expects me to sit on it with him while he sleeps. Its downright cold over here. He lets me know all of this by raising his bandaged paw. Its a reclined foot stomping.

Today when we went out, he tried to go for the car. I think he wants to go home. (Maybe he just wanted to go to the auto races. Nascar this weekend here.) We are still waiting until Sunday. Nurse Nancy called today to see how we are doing. That was very nice. Ive started cutting his pain pills in half.. This is working well. Stops pain, but hes not so drugged. With half a pill I can give him more if he needs it, but he seems really good. (demanding, sleeping, even squeaking the hedgehog).

Winslow knows he needs to wear the boot (IV bag with laces) when we go out, so he is good about waiting for me to put it on his foot. Hes only putting weight on it to steady himself for business. Still no poo, so that will be another whole adverture for all. (Nurse Nancy said thats normal after surgery).

So, we are getting back to normal, and improving over yesterday. We will be going to the vet in VA on Monday to get the incision checked and re-wrapped. Its not bothering him but hes not too happy about the shaving they did on his other front leg.

Im sure as soon as he gets home he will be calling Meredith at Greyhound Welfare and telling her of the abuse that took place here in New Hampshire. He would be sending email but he cant with the big bandage and he doesnt know how to work the cellphone.

I hope you and your pack are doing well. I know its very hot there and I hope your ac is working. Let us know how things are at your house.

Glynis

Glynis said Winslow has learned how to get what he wants by raising the purple paw, letting it flop down, and looking at them :rofl

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

:rofl Oh Winslow, you are certainly one in a million!

Ace gets my attention by placing her paw on my arm, and then flexing her foot so as to dig her nails into me. Once I look up, I get the nose-down stare (as a person would do if looking over their eyeglasses at someone) :lol

Glynis, I'm so happy that Winslow is doing well :wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Winslow :wub:

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

He also doesnt like the shape of the ice cubes in the ice machine.

:rofl The ice cube statement just made me laugh -- something I really needed today! So does Winslow prefer square ice or the rounded cylinder ice?

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

June 27, 2009

Good Morning, Diane,

First, A correction. Winslow says to tell everyone that he is NOT wearing a bandage. Hes wearing a GLOVE, in honor of Michael Jackson. He is demanding that I go find a store and buy him some rhinestones.

Second, I was reading the GT posts to him last night and thanks to Embers Dad, he is changing his name.. WINSLOW, "THE BLUE FLAME" WILL NOW BE KNOWN AS "THE PURPLE AVENGER'' (thanks a lot, Tom.. now we have a whole new set of ego issues here).

Now, for an update.

Winslow had company yesterday! Kris (Morgan,Kona,Alex) and husband Dave were here. Winslow was very happy to see them. They stayed awhile and he showed them his big purple "glove". He got a lot of attention and would have gone home with them if he could have. Hes very tired of looking at us. It was nice meeting more of Winslows friends. We are hoping theyll come to the birthday party next year.

Last night we got the matter of poo worked out. Hes actually ok to do it by himself. I helped with balance a little bit, but I stood at the FRONT this time, saving my shoes.

During the night, Winslow, now The Purple Avenger had to do his rounds to secure the hotel and make sure everyone was safe. Ok, Craigs job.. but not now. It takes both of us to get his boot on him, open doors, help him balance and pick up poo (his schedule is still a little off)..So, we were both out there helping him save the city of Nashua at 3AM.

At 5AM Winslow remembers that he usually gets his Artemisinin and yogurt. I took him off the arti prior to surgery, just as a precaution. BUT, he says hes not off the yogurt and its time.

Ok. I dug around in the cooler, found a spoon, gave him yogurt.

Of course that was it for me.. I got up, Winslow immediately stretched out in my space where he is right now. Its going to be a long couple of weeks.

Winslow will be well rested to entertain guests this afternoon. Im going to begin packing us up so we can leave early tomorrow morning.. "Traveling light" is not in Winslows vocabulary so packing is a big event. Yep, Im making him get up early. A little payback is in order here. He should be happy. He keeps trying to get in the car every time he sees it. He does love a road trip.

Photo attached. Its bad but Winslow only gave us one chance.

G.

Winvisit.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest EmbersDad

how does winslow feel about capes? i can see a purple one fluttering in the breeze....could go along with being the new "gloved one"....his first single...a remake of "beat it"...with a clear nod to weird al...you can cover "eat it"

...Eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it

Get yourself an egg and beat it (oh lord)

Have some more chicken, have some more pie

It doesn't matter if it's boiled or fried

Don't you make me repeat it (oh no)

Have a banana, have a whole bunch

It doesn't matter what you had for lunch

Just eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it....

Guest PhillyPups

So happy to see and hear that Winslow is healing well and The Purple Avenger will keep all protected and safe -

Tom I will never hear that song the same way again - brilliant :lol :lol :lol

how does winslow feel about capes? i can see a purple one fluttering in the breeze....could go along with being the new "gloved one"....his first single...a remake of "beat it"...with a clear nod to weird al...you can cover "eat it"

...Eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Get yourself an egg and beat it (oh lord)

Have some more chicken, have some more pie

It doesn't matter if it's boiled or fried

Don't you make me repeat it (oh no)

Have a banana, have a whole bunch

It doesn't matter what you had for lunch

Just eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it....

Tom :rofl That's the funniest thing ever :rofl

I'm so sorry I didn't get back here to add my prayers when he was in for surgery!!! :( :( :(

so glad he's doing so well!!!! That Winslow holds a special place in so many hearts :wub: :wub: -- mine included! :D :D :D :D

sending healing hugs to ya, Mr. P.A. :D

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I seem to have just sung the Eat it song to Marc :wacko::lol

loveshower.gif I was in the presence of greatness today....

winslow1-1.jpg

Yup, the "gloved one"! Purple is really Winslow's color. Very royal.

First off, I have to say that Winslow looked GREYT! He's a big hunka fuzzy hound. I've never felt such soft, fuzzy hair on a GH before. You'd never know that he's been through surgery this week. He bounded over to the door when I came in. And then he went right for the tote bag with the toys in it. :lol

It was just awesome meeting Winslow, Glynis and Craig. And boy, he's got them whipped! :rolleyes: I vaguely remember hearing the tinkling of the little bell that he uses to summon mummy and daddy when he needs a drink or a greenie. :lol:

Seriously, more loving parents you will never find. Their world revolves around Winslow, and he loves it! He's truly a character, and an enigma -- and just a really cool, great big fuzzy, blogging, sponge-painting lovebucket.

Safe travels tomorrow, and I know everyone is putting out vibes for a good pathology report and no need for any additional treatment. 'night, "gloved one"!

Glynis, Winslow and Craig (and "the glove")

winslow2.jpg

Winslow doing what he does best

winslow3.jpg

Just a quick snooze...

DSC00872.jpg

And a little nookie happening between Crocheted Jerry Murray and Miss Broodie!

DSC00874.jpg

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest multigrey

Tom.....such hidden talents!!! I didn't know you were a "composer" too!! That really is hysterical...

Looking good, Winslow!!! Glad your mom and dad are doing their jobs.....it's just a shame you have to remind them all the time!

I had to put my hand over Jerry Murray's eyes!!! My little boy with an older woman!! OMG.....Jordan, I will never forgive you for that!!

Nice to read this good stuff.....love to you, Winslow!!!

Guest EmbersDad
Tom.....such hidden talents!!! I didn't know you were a "composer" too!! That really is hysterical...

Looking good, Winslow!!! Glad your mom and dad are doing their jobs.....it's just a shame you have to remind them all the time!

I had to put my hand over Jerry Murray's eyes!!! My little boy with an older woman!! OMG.....Jordan, I will never forgive you for that!!

Nice to read this good stuff.....love to you, Winslow!!!

i cant take credit for that, it really is a weird al yankovic song...thought everybody knew that, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyfcOriVKBM

I recognized it as a Weird Al creation :) . Many years ago, my youngest son,who is now 32, was a fan of Weird Al and I heard the songs playing constantly. Frankly, I often preferred his versions to the originals! :lol

June 29, 2009

Hi Diane,

We got home last night around 8:30. The traffic in Delaware was horrible. What should have taken 15 minutes took 2 hours. Winslow is a good traveler, so he didnt mind, but I did.

Now, we are here, living in the lower level and Winslow is not happy about it. When we go out, he really wants to go upstairs. That is only going to happen when his toe is healed to the point that it cant open from pressure. Im figuring a month or so. Im thinking Winslow will adjust. The bedside service here is very good. Outside is only a step away and he can spend his usual days working with Craig. We moved the big bed and everything we need to work before we left, so it was easier last night.

On Saturday, Jordan came to visit us at the hotel. I saw her post. She was very complimentary about the spoiled one.

Oh, Winslow was so happy to see her. He saw a toy in her bag and just snatched it. Hes a bad dog when it comes to that. As you know, those stuffies are WAY too important to him. Jordan is way too forgiving. He gets away with just about anything..(ok, who shall we blame for that? I was thinking we could blame you, Diane.). He loved having company, behaving like a prince and showing off the purple glove.

It was really nice of Jordan to visit. We apologize for the cold in the room.

Today, it all begins again. Winslow is not happy with shorter walks. Im sure he will boycott pooping until it cannot be helped. Hes not in pain, not limping and not happy about the plastic bag on his foot. Last night, he tried to do that kicking back thing with his bandaged foot. Didnt hurt him, but we stopped him. So, hes feeling well. No pain meds since yesterday early morning. He slept well last night without them and is now enjoying breakfast.

Back to our vet today for suture check and rewrapping.

G.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Hmm....I wonder. You should see him hold court at a party. It's pretty funny.

Update: Winslow is feeling and acting ok, however he was running a temp yesterday afternoon at bandage change time. Antibiotic switched to clavamox and vet wants to see him tomorrow for another bandage change.

Path report back in: cutaneous hemangio clean margins but not as big of margins as recommended. Glynis will put vets in touch with each other to see what happens now. Possible local chemo (something Ohio State has been working on).

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

July 8, 2009

Good Morning Diane,

Here's the update from "down under":

As you know, we are living in the lower level. Winslow understands that he can't do the stairs, so he's ok with being downstairs. The bed, toys and his music are here, so he's fine with it. What he hates is the shorter walks. He is feeling better and wants longer walks. He gets angry and snatches leaves from low bushes just to make us take them away from him. Not a happy camper. He also hates wearing an IV bag on his foot.

Now for the medical report.

We went to Dr. Stoneham last Monday for care of the surgery. She noted a slight fever and changed the antibiotics from Simplicef to Clavamox. 2 days later, fever gone, incision looking good (This was last Wednesday)but Winslow doesn't do well on antibiotics, so there has been a week of Big D. Now, a diet of chicken and rice (oh how I hate giving him grain!) and gradually back to food and supplements. The big D is fortunately under control now.

Dr. Stoneham has a very interesting way to bandage a foot. She leaves the middle toenails out. If they begin to splay out, that means swelling and I was instructed to come in immediately. This ingenious bandage allows me to monitor Winslow's foot and know it is ok.

We go back today for stitch removal. We plan to stay in the basement (yuk) for a couple of weeks because I'm worried about the incision and the stairs.. If this opens, there is no way to sew it up again. I want to let it really get healed before we go upstairs.

The diagnosis is Cutaneous Hemangiosarcoma, which we expected. Dr. Massat got clear margins but they were not the textbook 3cm. due to the location on the toe. The rate of cell division was slightly higher than normal. Because of these factors, Dr. Calo, our oncologist explained that Metronomic Chemotherapy could be an option.

I did the homework, calling, emailing and talking to everyone I could find that knows anything about this. Long story short, this treatment is long term very low dose chemo, but it uses nsaids and antibiotics. Winslow cannot have nsaids at all and doesn't do well on antibiotics. We cannot justify keeping Winslow sick, to keep him "healthy".. Quality of life issue. He's had enough chemo already.

The verdict is that we will trust that the surgery got all the cells. We are going to increase the Transfer Factor, add a bit of Vitamin C, keep him on a grain free diet and his other supplements, speak to Dr. Couto about a slight increase in Artemisinin and go forward. Winslow totally agrees with this decision.

I DO see some really good possibilities for Metronomic Chemotherapy. They are using it at OSU for some cancers. If a dog couldn't take regular chemo and didn't have problems with the drugs used, it could be a very good alternative. Just my unscientific opinion, but hopefully it could be something for others to look into.

Now that the Big D is under control, Winslow feels really good. He went with me on errands yesterday and even though he isn't swimming or walking long distances, he's getting out and about.

Craig is on a short trip for work. I think he gets a little nuts working down here. It's probably good for him to get away. He's coming home tomorrow. Winslow spoke to him this morning.. he hates it when Craig is away. I'm trying to keep him entertained so the time will pass quickly.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THINGS BACK TO NORMAL.

I've attached some photos.

So, that's it from here.

Glynis

2009_0707misc00121.jpg

2009_0707misc00191.jpg

2009_0707misc00141.jpg

2009_0707misc00171.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

That is the best way to bandage a foot. Good on your vet!

Hope your dad is home soon (and your foot healed and free), Winslow!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.