Osteo Thread Part 10

3 hours ago, MP_the4pack said:

:cry1 :grouphug

MP, I've been thinking of you...didn't you experience just this scenario with Tanzi? Clear rads, a brief period of elation, and then two weeks later, the other shoe dropped? :( 

Facebook did give me this gem that made me smile today (and how often can anyone say that about Facebook?). My favorite snaggletoothed coworker. :beatheart 

53784920765_07aa673242_z.jpg

• Like 3

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

20 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

MP, I've been thinking of you...didn't you experience just this scenario with Tanzi? Clear rads, a brief period of elation, and then two weeks later, the other shoe dropped? :( 

Facebook did give me this gem that made me smile today (and how often can anyone say that about Facebook?). My favorite snaggletoothed coworker. :beatheart 

53784920765_07aa673242_z.jpg

What a great pix!

I didn't want to say anything.  Keep positive vibes going. But yes, both my osteo dogs had clear rads. Both developed osteo in the back. They saw it on Diamond's xray when I brought her in. But it wasn't on Tanzi's until a month after she started showing signs of discomfort. 

Willa is just too effin young. I really hope this is just a hiccup.

17 minutes ago, MP_the4pack said:

What a great pix!

I didn't want to say anything.  Keep positive vibes going. But yes, both my osteo dogs had clear rads. Both developed osteo in the back. They saw it on Diamond's xray when I brought her in. But it wasn't on Tanzi's until a month after she started showing signs of discomfort. 

Willa is just too effin young. I really hope this is just a hiccup.

It's scary how common this seems to be; we went through the same with Sweep when she broke her leg and they didn't see osteo until months after repairing the break. This disease is so insidious.

That said... based on location, rads, and the cytology, Dr. C really thinks it's another primary tumor, not metastasis. Which is: 1) very rare, and yet 2) also exactly what happened with Sweep, though her soft tissue sarcoma was in an area where surgery was possible. (John and I half-jokingly keep asking vets if we need to have our house checked for carcinogens: three pets with cancer in three years, two of them with two cancers.) If we pursue further treatment, he recommends a biopsy to determine the grade and then either more chemo or radiation therapy—which would be in Atlanta. Our local clinic's radiation facility opens in December. Go figure. They do already have a radiation oncologist onsite, so I think next steps would be the biopsy and a consult with him. If RT would be potentially curative, it's worth considering. We have family in Atlanta we could stay with.

Much to think about. She's already been through so much in her young life. But her age and spirit are also why it's so hard to stop fighting. :cry1 

Edited by ramonaghan
  • Sad 1

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds

8 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

It's scary how common this seems to be; we went through the same with Sweep when she broke her leg and they didn't see osteo until months after repairing the break. This disease is so insidious.

That said... based on location, rads, and the cytology, Dr. C really thinks it's another primary tumor, not metastasis. Which is: 1) very rare, and yet 2) also exactly what happened with Sweep, though her soft tissue sarcoma was in an area where surgery was possible. (John and I half-jokingly keep asking vets if we need to have our house checked for carcinogens: three pets with cancer in three years, two of them with two cancers.) If we pursue further treatment, he recommends a biopsy to determine the grade and then either more chemo or radiation therapy—which would be in Atlanta. Our local clinic's radiation facility opens in December. Go figure. They do already have a radiation oncologist onsite, so I think next steps would be the biopsy and a consult with him. If RT would be potentially curative, it's worth considering. We have family in Atlanta we could stay with.

Much to think about. She's already been through so much in her young life. But her age and spirit are also why it's so hard to stop fighting. :cry1 

We’ve now had 3 dogs with Cancer ourselves… and I was thinking the same!
What is going on with our environment!?!?!?!

I get your train of thought perfectly… she is so young, and if she’s still “Willa”, how can you not pursue options?

But regardless, we know you will do whatever you feel is right, and Willa is in wonderful hands.

I am keeping all fingers and paws crossed here!

• Like 2

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

I am just so very sorry.  I hear and feel you on the cancer magnet house!  My brother just asked me if there was an environment issue where we live since we lost Zeke in March to a sudden, extremely aggressive osteo at age 6 and just last week we lost Angus, age 7, to a huge abdominal tumor with liver involvement.  I am so, so over cancer.  Big hugs to you.  

• Sad 3

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

6 minutes ago, dante2zoe said:

I am just so very sorry.  I hear and feel you on the cancer magnet house!  My brother just asked me if there was an environment issue where we live since we lost Zeke in March to a sudden, extremely aggressive osteo at age 6 and just last week we lost Angus, age 7, to a huge abdominal tumor with liver involvement.  I am so, so over cancer.  Big hugs to you.  

Big hugs right back to you. My heart just breaks for all you've been through.

Update: We spoke at length with our local radiation oncologist Wednesday and he thinks Willa would be a good candidate for palliative or stereotactic radiation. We don't think we'd do either if this new mass turns out to be metastasis, but if it's a new primary tumor and there's still no evidence of metastasis in her chest, we'll pursue the stereotactic treatments in Atlanta or Cincinnati (if we opt for Cincinnati and she still qualifies, she could get her booster for the Yale vaccine at the same time).

Soooo, Monday we drop her off at 7:30 for a CT scan, and if there's nothing new that's concerning, they'll proceed with a tru-cut biopsy (less invasive, no sutures required). Then we wait up to a week or two (ugh) to find out if it's a metastatic tumor or not. Both local oncos lean yes, Dr. Couto and Tracy (tbhounds) lean no.

Lots of unknowns and ifs, but at least a glimmer of hope, which is more than I had before. And I'm grateful the Zoledronate seems to have kicked in...last night, she zoomed a little in the yard talking smack to her brother for the first time in weeks. :wub:

Edited by ramonaghan
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ramonaghan said:

Update: We spoke at length with our local radiation oncologist Wednesday and he thinks Willa would be a good candidate for palliative or stereotactic radiation. We don't think we'd do either if this new mass turns out to be metastasis, but if it's a new primary tumor and there's still no evidence of metastasis in her chest, we'll pursue the stereotactic treatments in Atlanta or Cincinnati (if we opt for Cincinnati and she still qualifies, she could get her booster for the Yale vaccine at the same time).

Soooo, Monday we drop her off at 7:30 for a CT scan, and if there's nothing new that's concerning, they'll proceed with a tru-cut biopsy (less invasive, no sutures required). Then we wait up to a week or two (ugh) to find out if it's a metastatic tumor or not. Both local oncos lean yes, Dr. Couto and Tracy (tbhounds) lean no.

Lots of unknowns and ifs, but at least a glimmer of hope, which is more than I had before. And I'm grateful the Zoledronate seems to have kicked in...last night, she zoomed a little in the yard talking smack to her brother for the first time in weeks. :wub:

This is great!

Hope is amazing! I hope all good news comes back!

As for the waiting…. Blah, I feel that. I hope it goes quickly.

So happy to hear she got her zoom on again!!! :heart

• Like 2

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

:candle Willa :kiss2

• Like 1

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Monday morning cannot come soon enough.  Let's get this started.  

Willa, you keep that Doolin in line for us.  

• Like 1

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

16 minutes ago, MerseyGrey said:

I’m checking in to see if there’s any news but I guess I’m a bit too early?

Perfect timing, actually. Just picked her up and I'm waiting in the car with her while John picks up her Rx for Amantadine to add to her pain management cocktail. She did great in the CT and for the biopsy. The surgeon (same one who did her amp) took samples from both her soft tissue and the bone, so poor girl is going to hurt. 😔 Chest and belly looked clear to him, but we're waiting for the radiologist to look too. Everyone says if they're playing the odds, they think it's OSA metastasis. He says small sample biopsy results are usually ready within 5 days, so we'll know more soon. Thank you all for the support and backnforfing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Fingers crossed for Willa!

• Like 1

:grouphug

• Like 1

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

9 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

Perfect timing, actually. Just picked her up and I'm waiting in the car with her while John picks up her Rx for Amantadine to add to her pain management cocktail. She did great in the CT and for the biopsy. The surgeon (same one who did her amp) took samples from both her soft tissue and the bone, so poor girl is going to hurt. 😔 Chest and belly looked clear to him, but we're waiting for the radiologist to look too. Everyone says if they're playing the odds, they think it's OSA metastasis. He says small sample biopsy results are usually ready within 5 days, so we'll know more soon. Thank you all for the support and backnforfing. 

I’m glad you’re not going to have to wait too long for the results :goodluck

• Like 1

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Rough evening. Poor girl was whacked out from the procedure and/or in a lot of pain and would not lie down for about 3 hours after dinner. Overnight was better; she was only up twice. This morning she was restless and uncomfortable again, but she is finally sleeping (maybe because I accidentally gave her Doolin's Zoloft in my sleep-deprived, stressed-out state :sad1).

I hope this is somehow worth it because right now I'm not seeing it. Yesterday morning was chopper tail and excitement about going for a ride, and today she is miserable. I wish I'd known they might take a biopsy from the bone. I realize they want to be sure to get a representative sample, but it must be so painful. We're icing it as she tolerates it, and fingers crossed that the amantadine kicks in sooner rather than later.

In true Willa style, and very much like her predecessor, she is eating everything offered to her. One small victory.

Edited by ramonaghan

20 minutes ago, Remolacha said:

Oh Willa :grouphug  I hope the pain starts to fade soon. I know it might not seem worth it right now, but given its Willa I think you are right in doing everything you can.

:candle

Thank you, Jan; that makes me feel a little better. She's been such a tough cookie, but I worry I am asking too much of her.

• Like 1

From what you've shared with us, I think that if she could make the decision herself she would go for it.  She's just that kind of girl.  

But I hate every little extra bit of pain she has.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz
  • Like 2

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

47 minutes ago, EllenEveBaz said:

From what you've shared with us, I think that if she could make the decision herself she would go for it.  She's just that kind of girl.  

I sure hope so. :heart