Osteo Thread Part 10

UPDATE....

HUGE UPDATE!

Today marks 1 month since surgery....

And Amelia ran across the yard after some deer on the other side of the fence!!!!!

:confetti:heart:confetti:heart:confetti:heart

I truly got teary-eyed seeing this!

• Like 5

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

YAY!! A month doesn’t seem possible! WTG Amelia! :clap

• Like 1

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I feel as if we didn’t do what needed to be done right away she wouldn’t be with us today. 

I am grateful for the vets wanting to get her in asap and move forward. 

• Like 2

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Just now, 2greyhoundMINI said:

I feel as if we didn’t do what needed to be done right away she wouldn’t be with us today. 

I am grateful for the vets wanting to get her in asap and move forward. 

I know exactly what you mean and how you feel. It's not the right decision for everyone, for any number of very good and sound reasons, but when things work out and you see your dog so happy and back to themselves, it's hard to conceive of the alternative. They might be short on legs, but they are so full of life.

• Like 2

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

27 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

I know exactly what you mean and how you feel. It's not the right decision for everyone, for any number of very good and sound reasons, but when things work out and you see your dog so happy and back to themselves, it's hard to conceive of the alternative. They might be short on legs, but they are so full of life.

No, it’s not for everyone for sure.

I had a woman at my barn tell me not to do it and she’s a vet tech. I just told her thank you for her thoughts and made my own decision.

It’s a tough decision… I was so torn, but now I am so glad we went this route. She is so much like the Amelia we love already. I look forward seeing her do her thing when she’s really comfortable with her new self. 

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI
  • Like 1

There's a phenomenon those of us who've had a dog with an amp go through.  It seems like, after a certain point, they just get to be... <<more>> - more the dog they were before.  Their personality is... bigger... but the same.   They seem to be loving life and everyone around them with so much abandon.  Like they're squeezing everything out of it they can.  It's hard to describe, but you'll know it.  

Our VooDoo (Dude the Pirate King!) was already a character with a big personality.  But we soon learned he had a bigger one in there.

:wub: 

• Like 3

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I can definitely see that.

I hope the “Amelia” does come out more and more.

So crazy thing happened last night!
We have been carrying her up the big set of stairs at night. There are 9 stairs.
Amelia does NOT like to be carried. 
So what does she do?
She flies up the stairs on her own!!! :wow

It took us by surprise and we both held our breath… but she made it, and did it well!

We were going to use the helper harness and see if she wanted to walk down herself this morning, but she didn’t, so my hubby carried her down.
I think we will continue to offer that in the mornings.

Go Amelia! 

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI
  • Like 3

Going down is harder and scarier than going up. Just make sure she doesn't want to JUMP down. My tripod did that before she relearned going down. That was 5 steps.  I had visions that she broke her last remaining front leg. Other than a bit bruised on her amp side she was fine. But I never expected her to do that.

2 hours ago, MP_the4pack said:

Going down is harder and scarier than going up. Just make sure she doesn't want to JUMP down. My tripod did that before she relearned going down. That was 5 steps.  I had visions that she broke her last remaining front leg. Other than a bit bruised on her amp side she was fine. But I never expected her to do that.

So she is handling stairs odd...

The small, 5 stairs she is fine going down, but hesitates coming up them?
The big set, the 9, she came up but hesitated going down, which I expected. 

It is nice seeing her run around a bit in the yard... she always loved running. 

Update:

Amelia continues to do well.
She seems to go DOWN stairs fine, but hesitates to go up them. Hoping she gains confidence with that.

I sewed a sleeve on the shirt so she would stop licking her leg. Will probably address this with the vet, although I feel like she is just licking her leg because her side is healing and itches like crazy and can’t get to it, so she is just licking whatever she can… with a vengeance.

Her 2nd chemo treat is Tuesday morning. Hoping that goes as well as the first.

:goodluck

• Like 2

Joshi, who has been a front-amp girl since she was 10 months old, is v-e-r-y slow going up our 13 stars.

She puts her front leg up, then uses her abs to get one back leg, then the other up. One.Step.At.A.Time. 

• Like 1

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

1 hour ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

Joshi, who has been a front-amp girl since she was 10 months old, is v-e-r-y slow going up our 13 stars.

She puts her front leg up, then uses her abs to get one back leg, then the other up. One.Step.At.A.Time. 

She goes down slowly, controlled which is great.
I hope she gets more courage as time goes by and she does the stairs.

She absolutely HATES being picked up, so I hope she figures it out. 

And Amelia ran across the yard after some deer on the other side of the fence!!!!!

I'm imagining the deer sighing to each other and saying, "Well, it was a nice respite while it lasted." :)  

Best wishes for a smooth 2nd chemo.  

• Like 2

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Well ok!

Update: Amelia's appt went well!

Chemo treatment #2 successful. Pre-bloodwork check looked good.

Her side looks great... we took the shirt off her now. I think she is glad to have a break from it.

We asked about the licking and they did say its probably from the IV.

Also asked about the occasional yelps... they are most likely due to internal things still healing from surgery. Luckily they are far and few in-between.

All-In-All a good appointment!

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI
  • Like 5

FIRST walk post surgery!
Boy you were right when you said she’d be speedy!
I had to jog to keep up!

We just did about a 1/3 of a mile to start out. She did great and was so happy to be out!

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Way to go, Amelia! :yay 

ETA: Notice that back right leg doing what my husband calls the "skateboard move." :lol We were worried something was wrong at first but it's just how they launch themselves along.

Edited by ramonaghan
  • Like 1

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

HAHA I didn’t notice as I trying not to get pulled off my feet!

Just now, 2greyhoundMINI said:

HAHA I didn’t notice as I trying not to get pulled off my feet!

I hear you! Pro tip: Don't wear flip-flops. :lol 

• Haha 1

She is motoring! :yay

• Like 1

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Happy Friday folks!

We took another walk yesterday. Went little further.
I had to coax her to turn around... she wanted to keep going. But she already had the long tongue, especially since it was very warm yesterday.
She is so stubborn... was kind of nice seeing that part of her personality again.

Also, 3 days after 2nd chemo treatment. Everything is going well. She actually seemed even better this time vs last, and they had up'd the dose.

• Like 4