Have I found the greyhound unicorn?

Gelsey, age 7, had her annual exam yesterday.  The vet pronounced her "perfect," including -- wait for it -- excellent teeth, with almost no plaque build-up.  

She arrived here 2 1/2 years ago with good-looking teeth, but I assumed she had had a recent dental.  I did notice they were still looking good when I occasionally gave her a swipe with the dental wipes when I was cleaning Milo's (who has the typical terrible hound teeth).  Gelsey does chew a lot, but Milo used to chew almost non-stop.  

Is Gelsey the elusive good-teeth greyhound?  Or is plaque waiting to jump on her teeth all at once?  Nobody pinch me -- I want to live in this dream.  :D

• Like 2

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Perhaps not a unicorn, but rare! All of my greyhounds had at least stained teeth, and some very bad teeth, except Fletcher. His teeth were strong, white, just perfect. Why him and not the others :dunno

Just enjoy your good luck!

Rocket was the only hound we had with good teeth. He would get some plaque buildup and require cleaning/scaling, but he never lost a tooth and his dentals were little more than cleaning. Many of the others more than made up for that. :lol

Gracie just had a dental and lost two teeth.  Mark has a dental next week and is expected to lose a few that have been questionable for a while. 

Way to go, Gelsey! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Lucky!!!

Probably a combination of individual chemistry and good food.  Plaque forms from a chemical reaction between carbohydrate residue and the bacteria in your saliva (or your dog's! ;) ).  I think some individuals' bacteria is just different enough that the plaque ins't encouraged to form, just like with some people.  I've only had one greyhound who was a plaque machine.  Copper could have had a full dental every 6 months, and he ate the same food, got the same treats and chews as everyone else in the house, who nearly always had good teeth.  

I use a combo of dental chews and crunchy chews after meals and I can usually go 3-4 years in between full dentals.  I did have Andi in for one of those "awake dentals" last year due to some sedation issues, but she's going to need a real one in the next year or so.  She hasn't had a dental since we got her in 2019.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sweep had some plaque (and some kicking breath sometimes), but her teeth were always declared "good" and she never lost any. The odd thing with my current two is that Willa's look a lot better than Doolin's—she has far less plaque and her breath is better, which is nice because she's a kisser. I guess that's one thing they don't share as siblings!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I have a dog crying in the corner after hearing this (Punkin, with only two lower canines:lol Good for you Gelsey, you are one of the rare ones! 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

That’s fantastic! :yay
Poor Amelia had lost 8 teeth so far… she doesn’t seem to have good teeth and gums.

Carmen has much better teeth but bad breath? 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket. :lol: 

You, and Gelsey, are lucky. I've had hounds with (virtually) no teeth through to those for whom regular brushing was enough to keep them pearly white. The hounds with good teeth might not have required brushing, but I started daily brushing before the first hound arrived. I think that the brushing did ensure that the only reasons I've had to do dentals since were because of insufficient pre-adoption dentals (tooth with exposed roots left; a few were infected by the time they got home) and broken teeth.

Toothless Toodles (6--her canines and 2 useless incisors) is very envious.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Congratulations, whatever you’re doing must be right! We cleaned Buddy’s teeth almost every day after an expensive dental in 2020 but by the end one of his lower canines was wobbly and most of his teeth were stained

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Dog dentals were not part of my grandparents' or parents' world, so I didn't grow up with the idea.  After the shock of having (and paying for) my first two hounds' dentals, I buckled down and started brushing their teeth almost daily.  None of us liked it, but we adapted and endured.  Only to have them, and subsequent hounds, need dentals every 2-3 years anyway.  So I gave up on brushing.  It was years before I had the lightbulb thought -- shouldn't I have brushed the insides of their teeth as well as the outsides?  :lol  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter