Something I just realized...

I took Apollo on his evening walk, just after dark tonight.   After we went through the neighborhood and were walking up to the door, Apollo stopped walking and just started listening and looking around.  A few noises in the back, he'd look over there, a car going by, he'd look over there.  No interest in walking.

That was when I realized something really simple, and really stunning.  Every time he was outside as a "racer" he was whisked to somewhere, had somewhere to go, or was being forced/ coerced to race.  He never really had a chance to just stand and listen, look and observe.  It's not a stunning observation, nor groundbreaking nor anything really huge.  But I felt like I connected with him a little bit more.  And I feel like if he wants to just stop and observe, I should probably do the same.  Point being, sometimes his need to just be present, is something I need to acknowledge and encourage.

In other news, his "Dad's home" ritual has him grabbing mail from my hand, taking it into the bedroom, then returning for the next mouthful of junk mail, and the next.  All at the pace of greyhound zoomies...  and he's learned to use the carpet runner as a sliding stop, which is entertaining in and of itself. (I have video evidence!) :D

He's still a shy boy with people, especially if they are facing him, but he's gaining confidence to smell strangers' hands from behind most of the time.  He's great with other breeds of dogs (though he's still scared of one of the shih-tzus in the neighborhood.  It's almost been a year with him and I can say we've made a lot of progress and we still have a long way to go.  

Congratulations on your first year.  Sounds like you both are doing well.

32 minutes ago, Apollo_the_Grey said:

That was when I realized something really simple, and really stunning.  Every time he was outside as a "racer" he was whisked to somewhere, had somewhere to go, or was being forced/ coerced to race.  He never really had a chance to just stand and listen, look and observe. 

This is why it is so important to not rush them when the statute on walks and take a few steps back to just hanging out.  Just give them the time to adjust to all the new sounds and sights no need for long walks while they figure out there new homes.

You will be amazed at what happens in this next year when you look back.  Enjoy the journey with Apollo

Rocket was fascinated with trucks. I don't know why, but we would stand along the main road and he would watch trucks go by for as long as I would let him. Sounds like Apollo is doing great! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I put this down to them being intelligent and inquisitive animals. Buddy still does this at almost 12 years old, eight years after he ran his last race and four years after being in our home. Nothing is new to him, but he is still interested in everything. I don’t expect it to change any time soon!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Those people who walk their dogs looking at their phones or listening to music are missing out on the magic of being at one with their dogs and observing the world from a different perspective.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I often think of how one side of the road must be an almost completely different experience from the other side to a dog on a walk, because there is a whole new set of smells.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

This is a great observation. I agree with the comment that it's a disservice to dog and owner both when the owner is staring at a phone their entire walk. 

Also: you can't tease us with video evidence of Apollo's sliding stop and not share it! 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

7 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Those people who walk their dogs looking at their phones or listening to music are missing out on the magic of being at one with their dogs and observing the world from a different perspective.

Absolutely. I watched this happening just recently and had to speak up to the woman whose dog had just picked up a humongous piece of trash and was devouring it. Human was completely clueless but at least took action once she was made aware. Sigh

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

2 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

I often think of how one side of the road must be an almost completely different experience from the other side to a dog on a walk, because there is a whole new set of smells.  

Yes! This is why I try to walk Wiki a different route everyday.  There is an older guy that we see out walking a lot. Every single time he comments about how much Wiki stops to sniff and that I let her. My standard response is that the walking is exercise for her body and the sniffing is exercise for her brain. I think they are equally important.

I love Apollo's mailman routine! 

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

22 minutes ago, Apollo_the_Grey said:

Not sure if this will work 100% but here's a link to the IG post...  

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ch3Bnh9P6qT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

:clap :clap Well done, Apollo! 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

:yay    Apollo!   What a sweet mailman! 

On 9/15/2022 at 9:45 AM, Jerilyn said:

Yes! This is why I try to walk Wiki a different route everyday.  There is an older guy that we see out walking a lot. Every single time he comments about how much Wiki stops to sniff and that I let her. My standard response is that the walking is exercise for her body and the sniffing is exercise for her brain. I think they are equally important.

I agree totally!  

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.