Letting her off the lead for the first time

My adoption group used to host a playgroup every weekend in a huge field adjacent to the kennel.  Said playgroups usually consisted of 10 greyhounds lying on the ground or leaning on people to get petted, and humans trying to stir up a little activity, screaming, "Run, run!"  At least it was fun getting together to talk about dogs and pet different sets of silky ears.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thing is with Cara, the best thing about walks is meeting new dogs and their peoples, so I reckon she'll survey the paddick, see there's no one to speak to and lay down.

And when I throw her ball for her I'll get a stare saying "do I look like a retriever?? If you want the ball so damn much why did you throw it away in the first place?? Why don't you 'go fetch' it??"

That describes Grace the first time I let her off the lead in an enclosed paddock until a rabbit dared to run across the far end. One trip to the vet later because she tore off a toe nail chasing it. It never did grow back .

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Yep. We used to hire a field for half an hour. For two minutes, Buddy would run around and shake the toys we had brought. The next 28 minutes were spent with my husband and I throwing a frisbee or ball to each other. We got more exercise than the dog, and would reward ourselves with a bacon butty at the cafe on site. Buds would get a frozen yogurt.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

23 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

Yep. We used to hire a field for half an hour. For two minutes, Buddy would run around and shake the toys we had brought. The next 28 minutes were spent with my husband and I throwing a frisbee or ball to each other. We got more exercise than the dog, and would reward ourselves with a bacon butty at the cafe on site. Buds would get a frozen yogurt.

Can't fault you :D

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Well, we're about to get ready for The Adventure, making sure she has the right coat and agonising about the right toys to take...I wasn't like this planning for my son's school trips!

We did, however, find a pub nearby which is not only dog-friendly, but does doggy Sunday lunch! Roast meat, veg, Yorkies (puddings, not terriers) and salt-free gravy, two-and-a-half quid!

(Couple of bucks or so, to our American cousins).

Full report to follow!

Have fun, all of you!

Lunch sounds ideal.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

1 hour ago, SGE1967 said:

...doggy Sunday lunch! Roast meat, veg, Yorkies (puddings, not terriers)...

:rofl

Looking forward to your report! Have fun!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Love the video!  Such a Greyhound approach to a space.  I'll run an bit.  I'll piddle and sniff a bit. :lol:

I wish we had such dog-welcoming places in the US as your dog-friendly pub.  Here they exist but don't seem as common as they are in the UK.  I too look forward to your report on the fun!

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

The paddock was incredible. Completely enclosed, lots of toys there to play with and water bowls to drink from.

Let her off the lead and she didn't look back, just bounced away to look at the horses through the fence (she loves watching horses!)

That was the third or fourth run, when she was getting a bit tired. The first she was like a bullet from a gun, and the video of that one had me uttering something profane in admiration! 

The lunch, though, was a little disappointing as they had sold out of the sunday lunches, so she had to a have sunday lunch-flavoured treat pot. Nice, but not a sunday roast!!

She had a great day out though, and can finally get into the car without me having to lift her!

She'd be zipping around there non-stop except for sooo many messages to read and respond to :lol What a great day!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Reading pee mail indeed. :lol:  Better luck with that pub lunch next Sunday!

Your awe at her speed brought back such great memories of my first Greyhound, Piper.  I have a large back yard and my hounds have always enjoyed running there.  When I first saw Piper run, I was amazed at his speed and terrified that he wouldn't be able to stop at the fence line and that he'd get hurt. :eek Never happened, and I was soon able to relax and just be amazed at his speed.  He'd start running, lock eyes with me, and fly past, his mouth open in a happy grin.  :wub:  They are such a treat to live with!

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.