I must be mad

HeyRunDog

Some time ago I mentioned to my friends that I was thinking about getting a companion for Grace my 7.5 year old greyhound but I hadn't yet totally made my mind up because I didn't want to upset her by making her think she was no longer my number one.

Last night they mentioned that the boss of one of their other friends had split up from his girlfriend and had to move back in with his parents with his rotund dog who then proceeded to give birth to 6 puppies. He is now trying to find homes for them and they wondered if I would like one. He doesn't want any money as he can't cope with seven dogs especially living back at his parents. They are a cocker spaniel, Labrador cross and cute.

The question is:
Am I mad to even consider taking on a young puppy?
Will Grace cope? (She does like meeting/tolerate the young bouncy dogs we meet in the park)
Is my sofa going to be big enough?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Yes, yes and yes. But if you’re home most of the time to train a new puppy you could make it work. I think this mix of breeds is known as a cockador so it will have lots and lots of energy, and will probably need plenty of mental stimulation as well as physical exercise, so it’s just a question of whether you can manage that. I think that having an older dog makes training a puppy a bit easier. 

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Another yes, yes, and yes.  You are barking mad.  :)  Grace will probably enjoy having another dog in the pack and she'll help absorb some of the puppy energy.  But how well will you cope?  Greys are such easy animals to share your life with that we forget what it's like to have animals who need attention every.single.minute.  The last puppy I had was when I was a kid, but I got Milo the lurcher when he was about age 2 and it almost killed me.  :)  Have you been wanting a family member who will have boundless energy for years and years?  There will be room on the sofa (Grace will just need to curl up a little tighter) but can you afford to repair/replace the sofa when the puppy chews a sofa arm off?  Are you ready for however long puppy housetraining takes, and the inevitable urine puddles?  If the answers there are yes, then go for it.  Get more babygates/x-pens and a rug cleaner, and also create a place where Grace can go to get away from the puppy if she wants to.  

In the US it's common for people to get 6-week-old pups, but I've read several places that it's best to wait at least until 8 weeks, for weaning/health and socialization development.  

Let us know what you decide.  And we'll need lots of pics of puppy cuteness.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

That cross will need a job to burn up energy and keep it's mind engaged.  And would probably take to dock diving or nose work like a duck to water.

But a puppy is a puppy is a puppy - there's potty training, socialization, manners training, daily exercise, more money for food and treats and veterinary care.  It's a big commitment and one you should make fully aware of what it entails.

If you have doubts about Grace, see if you can take her over to meet the litter before deciding.  Many greys do just fine with young puppies, but some want nothing to do with them.  And there's no better puppy trainer than an older dog.  ;) 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I haven't made my mind up yet (yeah right!) as I need to ask a few questions about hip dysplasia in the parents and a bit more research about the breed but a lot depends on how Grace reacts when hopefully she's introduced to the little tornados before I totally commit :D

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

As both parents are working gundog breeds that would happily be out in the field all day that will be a dog that is going to need several hours of outdoor exercise every day. Not too bad at first while the dog is growing up and shouldn’t have too much walking but a lot of hours of wet, muddy walking once it becomes an adult. Will you still be up for that in 8 - 10 years time? Will Grace feel abandoned when she can no longer manage that sort of exercise regime and has to stay home?

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Quick Update.

The owner who was going to give them away has now decided to ask full market price for the puppies so I've decided not to have one. Probably for the best as to be honest it would have probably been to energetic for both Grace and myself. But it was nice to dream for a while :D

1 hour ago, Remolacha said:

Honestly, yeah, probably for the best, but you don’t need to give up on the idea of a companion for Grace. Just look for a dog who is a better fit. 

( enablers R us :D)

:lol wot she said. It sounds like you need to take yourself and Grace to the nearest greyhound trust kennels and let Grace pick herself a companion. You are ready.

Crazy maybe, but have you thought about fostering instead of committing to a permanent house guest?

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

First, are you sure it is a Cocker x Lab? Once I adopted a dog who was supposed to be that mix. She was more likely a Lab x Aussie Shepherd. She grew up to be a large dog with a huge appetite, like 1 lb of dry food daily when an adolescent. It was at that point I whined to the veterinarian, "How much bigger will she get?!" He speculated that maybe her mom or dad was one of those 100 lb Labs. Eeeeeee! She would try to chew on anything and everything including attempts to eat woks, cupcake tins, the arm of the couch, etc. Seemingly everything in the house had tooth marks. She was so active as a pup that the only way you could "pet" her was by holding your hand still as she ran back and forth underneath. None of that is an exaggeration. On the flip side, she was the sweetest, most loving dog I've ever had and had a fantastic personality. For the first year of her life I wondered everything what I was thinking in getting a puppy. For the rest of her life I thanked heaven I had her.

Decades later, when the intense pain of rearing a puppy was mostly forgotten, I got a Staghound puppy. She was wonderful also, after the first year of puppy pain. :lol As great as the puppies were in the end, I think I won't repeat the mistake. I think... probably... maybe... or not... maybe I will...  Puppies can have that effect on you.

eta  Maybe I should read the rest before responding. If I had I'd have seen you are springing for the puppy bait  breath

Edited by kudzu

On 2/22/2022 at 5:55 PM, MerseyGrey said:

:lol wot she said. It sounds like you need to take yourself and Grace to the nearest greyhound trust kennels and let Grace pick herself a companion. You are ready.

Crazy maybe, but have you thought about fostering instead of committing to a permanent house guest?

Watch this space......

4 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Arthur's brew ETA 05/03/2022 :D

We need pictures please! :digicam

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

You all seem more excited than I am.

A bit more info....

I've paid a deposit but I've got to wait until Tuesday for the vet to give him the all clear for adoption as he badly pulled and ruptured a shoulder muscle chasing a tree rat (squirrel) up a tree while he was being fostered a couple of months ago. Then I will collect him on Saturday.

Another update:

:( The vet saw him on Tuesday and wanted him to wait another couple of weeks before going for adoption to make sure his shoulder has fully recovered, which is understandable but frustrating.

:D I must have made a good impression on the adoption welfare officer and his mother who runs the kennels as they have decided to let the physio, who has been treating him, to have a look on Friday afternoon. As he's going to a calm home with another quiet female greyhound and if the physio says yes, they will release him to me on a foster to adopt as long as he's kept on quiet duties.
I take that as a great compliment as he's become their and the kennel volunteers favourite greyhound especially as he's been kept in the office during the day.

How exciting - we will look forward to seeing photos of him chez vous before too long! :offwall

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.