New rescue greyhound bit me......

Hi - first time poster and new greyhound owner here. Some advice would be appreciated.

Mac our 2 year old rescue has been with us for 4 days and is settling well generally.

Last night I was woken by loud bone munching and crunching, and, half asleep, i stumbled out of bed and went to take the bone. not smart I know, i was sleepy and on auto pilot and used to do the same with our previous dog, so wasn't really thinking. Mac growled and went to bite me. I was shocked and scared and didn't really address the situation. Again foolish - I know.

Later, i got up to go to the loo; Mac was sprawling out of his bed and I had to step over him. He snapped again.

Please give me some advice on how move forward. I want us to trust and respect each other and could use some guidance. 

many thanks,

joe

He’s a resource guarder and he’s only been with you four days. Give him lots of space. Let him come to you for affection. No getting on your bed or on furniture. No toys, chews etc. for the time being.  Read “Mine!” by Jean Donaldson.  

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Great advise above and I have some more :) There is a very  very old saying that has been around a very very long time and it is this: "Let sleeping dogs lie."  Just don't mess with him while he is sleeping. Some dogs don't like that. Would you like somebody bothering you while you were trying to sleep? I don't see it as a problem.  And don't worry. Everything will sort itself out. You are about to take one of the happiest journey's of your life in bonding with your new greyhound.  It really is that special. It takes TIME though. Don't rush it. Enjoy the journey.  

You have received good advice.

The ‘let sleeping dogs lie’  rule always needs to be followed.

Keep in mind that retired Greyhounds are used to sleeping alone in their kennel and not ever disturbed while sleeping.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Greyhounds in a kennel are used to their privacy...they live in a private space for the most part - so when they lay down to sleep, or have a toy in their cage with them, it is theirs....with no one near them.  Also be aware that they can tend to look awake when they are, in fact, not.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Our boy Rocket had sleep startle. It wasn't anything intentional and if he was awakened suddenly/startled, the growl was a defense mechanism.   If I needed to get by him and he was sleeping, I just announced myself by saying something like "Hey Buddy" or "Coming through, Rocket."  Most of the time he'd open his eyes then go right back to sleep. I got in the habit of doing this fairly quick because I had to walk fairly close by his bed if I got up in the middle of the night. Like you hound, Rocket liked to sprawl so I never knew when I might have to step over him. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

My Sheba has sleep startle and has had it since I got her 11 years ago when she was almost 2. She's mellowed out a bit but not totally. I never let her sleep on the bed with me because I learned the hard way that she gets snarky when I even move a little bit. She can be on my bed, just not when I'm in it. Follow the others' guidance and be sure to tell everyone who visits or is around Mac to do the same--give the dog space and never bother him when he is sleeping or dozong. Suggest not letting Mac sleep on the bed with you.

You can search the forum here for threads on sleep startle and resource guarding for TONS more info and advice.

And be comforted by the fact that if he *had* intended to bite to harm, he really would have.  It's a reflex behavior, nothing personal, one he's learned for as long as he's been alive, so don't expect instant modification.  It takes consistent work, every day, to move beyond these behaviors to something you both can live with.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

They can sleep quite comfortably in their basket muzzle, my boys do due to resource (bed) guarding.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Good advice above.  Let sleeping dogs lie is good advice.  In dealing with lots of farm dogs I learned it is actually better to feed water and go about your business as if they aren't there for a few days.  I would use a kennel with an OPEN door as a woobie spot.  sometimes a blankett over the top helps.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

One method of gradually ending the snarl/startle response when walking past the dog on his/her bed that has worked well for me is to speak as you approach the bed and then toss a treat to the dog.  Do this often through the day and evening.  The payoff is that the dog learns that people walking past the occupied bed is a Very Good Thing.  I've used this approach with my blind 4 y/o, Nate, to good effect.  

As others have said, these alarming behaviors are are likely to diminish as your new boy settles in, gets to know and trust you, and learns that you are really ore the giver than the taker-awayer. :lol   Also, if you find yourself in a position where you really NEED to get something away from your hound, there is much value in trading up--off something very appealing and desirable as a trade.  I keep slivered lunch meat in the refrigerator to give pills to my older hound and grabbing a sliver of meat is generally a good trade. Cheese.  Peanut butter. Cookie! 

It is true too that these wonderful dogs can and do sleep with their eyes open, so it pays to assume that a hound in a bed is asleep unless they've actually raised a head in response to your greeting.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. All of your advice is SO helpful and reassuring. We've moved his bed and modified our behaviour and as a result we're all a lot more relaxed and happy. I've also realised that we have a lot to learn.

Thanks again, I can't adequately express my gratitude!

So happy that those incidents have led us to this wonderful community and resource.

joe