Chicken Broth

Broth was a big part of Lila's homecooked diet and I never worried about onion, I was more concerned with salt. I would buy whatever unsalted product was available. But she was super sensitive so I switched exclusively to Swanson's unsalted STOCK, not broth. It has no onion/celery/carrot and no added salt.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I make my own by putting a whole chicken in the slow cooker with nothing else. After a few hours the meat falls off the bone. I have the good meat, the pickings get frozen on a tray then bagged for dog treats and the juice gets frozen in ice cube trays ready to add to Grace's kibble with some hot water.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Jerilyn, thanks for the tip on Swanson’s stock. I had not been using the broth for the reasons BeachBum1 mentioned. Su loves the stock, for now. To me it smells so much better than the broth. Good stuff.

Edited by kudzu

1 hour ago, kudzu said:

Jerilyn, thanks for the tip on Swanson’s stock. I had not been using the broth for the reasons BeachBum1 mentioned. Su loves the stock, for now. To me it smells so much better than the broth. Good stuff.

Oh good! I used to switch Lila up between the chicken stock and beef stock.  And I agree that it does smell better. :)

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

• 3 weeks later...

No, but I super-diluted it - I put a tablespoon into 6 oz water sometimes, to get Lily to drink more water. 

Questions like this are always a dilemma - How much is too much? Or none?  And then some greys are more sensitive, and to different things, than others.

I wrote a helpful article on foods that aren't good for greys, where I get specific about exactly what is the offending substance or problem with each food:

https://greyhoundhomecare.com/what-foods-are-bad-for-my-greyhound/

Don't overthink it.  The amount of onion in what you would wet kibble with a box of broth is probably FAR less than if you dropped a slice of onion on the kitchen floor.  Been there and dogs that snarfed it up lived.

Along the same line garlic is supposed to be a huge no no but I have known people that fed their greys garlic for flea control.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I second the suggestion to make your own broth.  You can use boneless cuts (trimmed of fat) or pieces/whole chicken.  I add a chopped carrot or 2 to the broth to add a little flavor then those are toppers (yum, chickeny carrots!) on Rick's food.  I do use a "soup sock" (or you can use cheese cloth) to put the carrots in so I don't have to worry about getting any bones in with the carrots.  I also save the meat (carefully picked of any bones!) for snackies and toppers too.

I'll reduce the resulting stock down a bit to concentrate it (so less room to store in the freezer) and add some water to it in a measuring cup before nuking it to warm up and put on his kibble to soak.

I too have been somewhat concerned about the onion and garlic in the box stock so I avoid it (why give them something that might be bad if you can easily make your own safely :) ).

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• 3 years later...

It's not only healthier but also gives you more control over what goes into it. I recently discovered Healo Broth by Healthy and Delicious. It's been a game-changer for me. It's made with all-natural ingredients and has no added onion or garlic, which can be harmful to pets.

I use Pacific Free Range Broth - Low Sodium.
Only 20mg sodium. It does how onion powder.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

On 3/7/2024 at 3:11 PM, pppittpeter said:

It's not only healthier but also gives you more control over what goes into it. I recently discovered Healo Broth by Healthy and Delicious. It's been a game-changer for me. It's made with all-natural ingredients and has no added onion or garlic, which can be harmful to pets.

If anyone's interested, you can check it out at https://healofoods.com/. It's super convenient to use, especially on busy days when I don't have time to make my own broth from scratch. I love the idea of adding chopped carrots to the broth for extra flavor and then using them as toppers for my pet's food. It's like a little bonus treat for them!

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 1:04 PM, RaineysMom said:

I second the suggestion to make your own broth. 

I always used whatever leftover carcass I had on hand.  The Instant Pot makes bone broth in 2 hours, less time for soup broth/stock.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound