Spirit and the dreaded quality of life decision

LBass

Lucy, I'm late to this thread too, but I've been thinking about you and Spirit so much.  I honestly don't have any advice, as I don't know for sure what I would do.  But since you know your sweet boy so well, and his well being is uppermost in your mind all the time, you have to know that your decision will be what is best for Spirit. :grouphug

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

An update:

Spirit and I went to the vet Wednesday, expecting to say farewell.  The vet, however, thought that it would be worthwhile to try a couple of weeks of Rimadyl along with the Gabapentin with the option of doing Gabapentin every 8-12 hours.  Spirit actually does appear to be responding well to the added Rimadyl.  This doesn't change the ultimate outcome, of course, but a few more weeks will be appreciated.  The vet very kindly assured me that I could text him is we got into any kind of crisis, so I think adequate support is there for us to safely give this medication combo a try.  Thank you all so much for your insight, experience, and support. 

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Lucy, I have been thinking of you all lately. Give that Chicken Little a big dose of love from all of us. 

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Every day is a gift :heart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I have been looking for an update. So glad he is feeling better and you have a little more time together. Sounds like you have a wonderful vet too. :grouphug 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Glad to hear you have some more time with him.  Give that sweet boy some ear rubs from us.  

Love his pic with Miss Donna's pimp hat.  We all miss her very much and there were a lot of hounds around here with some pretty fancy hats in many styles thanks to Miss Donna. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

glad Spirit is doing better!

please ask your vet about Amantadine.  Most vets (including mine who has had greyhounds) had never used it.  In 2 days Larry went from being immobile to being much better (we in fact had scheduled his farewell for that Saturday, started the Amantadine Tuesday and by Thursday night was much better).  The amantadine works by amping up the other meds (the Gaba and for Larry, meloxicam -- not sure about Rimadyl).  It's expensive but we got it at Walgreen's using GoodRx.  It DID make Larry vomit a LOT (he got it right after breakfast and dinner) but we just let him eat everything back up so he got the meds back in him.  Larry was a big boy at about 88# and got 100mg 2 x day (100mg each time).

just a thought.  I really feel for you.  

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway