Heathy Paws- No More 80% or 90% Plans?

One of my friends just adopted a new greyhound. When she went to sign him up for a plan with Healthy Paws, the only option given was for a plan with 70% co-insurance and a $500 deductible. She called, and customer service stated that currently that is the only plan they are offering for purebred greyhounds. 

Is there a second choice pet insurance company that folks have had good luck with? Specifically, she wants to make sure that the plan doesn’t roll over from year to year, causing previous claimed medical incidents to become pre-existing conditions. She also wants a plan that reimburses dollar for dollar what the vet charges- not on a national or regional average fee schedule.

Thanks in advance! (I haven’t been on GT in awhile, but I knew this was the best place to ask.)

We have Trupanion, but from what I understand, it is more expensive than Healthy Paws.  That said, they do pay 90% of invoiced cost for tests and treatments (excluding examinations, routine preventive care, taxes, and of course the deductible.  Once a condition is established, there is continuity that does not change with anniversary or start of calendar year.  So far I have nothing but good to say about them.

That's really strange. I just insured Gildy through HP in March at 90% with $500 deductible. Though I did that through my login, when I tried without my login I couldn't get that to come up. Maybe try again? Maybe I could because in an existing member?

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I use Pets Best Insurance and have good experiences with them. I currently have 80% coverage with a $300 deductible per incident. They have other options too. No issue from year to year something becoming pre-existing.

I have Embrace Pet Insurance, $500 deductible and 80% reimbursement over the $500 for accident or illness  and prescriptions and there are options available for $250, $400, and $650 (or thereabouts) reimbursement coverage for wellness exams and procedures (vaccinations, dental cleaning and extraction, nail trimming, fecal check). Maximum of $5,000/year. Various options are available. Not inexpensive, though.

6 hours ago, tbhounds said:

How old is the hound she’s trying g to sign up?  I think a dogover the age of 7 excludes them from the higher plan.

This was my thought as well

To answer your question,while I have HP I have only heard good things about Pets Best.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Just got an email from Healthy Paws (bolding mine):

This email is to provide notice — in accordance with N.J.S.A. 52:27EE-51 — that Chubb submitted a filing on May 9, 2019 with the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance and has requested an average rate increase in the amount 36.3% for pet insurance.

Maybe this is just for NJ but I'll be watching this thread. :angry:

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I got an email yesterday saying my policy with Walter & Ernie will go up 52.7%. @Riverhound got the same email but her percentage was 36ish% I've filed before, she has not. My greys are several years older than Jefferson. I think this sucks overall and I'm going to call & complain.

We're both in NJ so it's not even a blanket state thing. <_<

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

this can change/will the entire way many look at health care for their pets. if you were paying out of pocket for all procedures would many go to the heroic measures often taken for care? i don't want to sound tarnished, but i'm just curious.

when you think about the many plans for humans with 4k deductible and limited reimbursements and compares it to the health care industry for pets it's just a matter of their (pet industry) CEOs catching up w/ the poorly managed human medical world. life ain't easy for any living being...be it w/ or w/o meds. grrrrr.......

On 5/23/2019 at 7:33 PM, tbhounds said:

How old is the hound she’s trying g to sign up?  I think a dogover the age of 7 excludes them from the higher plan.

Dog is 2-years-old.

Anyone hear if this affects PA?

I've been a customer of 24PetWatch for years with our Greys (we have 2 at a time) & a couple years ago when their carrier changed (& the rest of the pet insurance market was "catching up" with higher premiums), the premiums sky rocketed. They offer various plan options for deductibles, annual maximums, wellness, etc. Our Girls each have a $250 deductible with a reimbursement rate of 80% of the actual vet charge/invoice. They've been pretty good, but like all these pet insurance plans, read the fine print under "exclusions" & what's not covered.

My grey is also with 24PetWatch.  His premium went up 12% the first year (2018), and 22% this year.

My beagle/basset mix is with FIGO Pet Insurance.  His premium went up 49% last year.  I don't know what it will go up when it renews in Oct this year.. but i like this company much better than 24PetWatch.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.