How Often Do You Take Your Grey With You To Run Errands, Or Etc.

We have had our hound for 17 weeks now, and he is settled in and doing very well. He is the only grey we have, but we have a cat and they get along OK. Actually our grey is scared to death of the cat, and just avoids getting near her, but they do nap very close to each other and so I am not afraid of the hound attacking the cat. My question is this. My wife and I would love to go to various events during the day, and we have been crating him. He seems to be OK with crating, but the longest we have left him in his crate has been a couple of hours or so. Every time we leave to go somewhere, he really wants to go badly with us. So, we feel very guilty about leaving him. It's like leaving a kid behind. Should we be concerned that our leaving him will be harmful to his happiness? We take him for a walk everyday for at least an hour. I know a lot of people work and leave their hounds in a crate for long periods of time. Should we consider not closing the door to the crate when we leave, which would allow him to roam thru out the house while we are gone? We just feel so guilty about leaving him, so its really us that I am hoping for some answers or suggestions.

It depends on a lot of factors whether I take a dog or not. Most importantly is if a dog will be safe:

>Is the outdoor temperature reasonable for either walking on pavement or staying in the car for a (very very) short time?

>Will the dog be (legally) welcome where I'm going?

>Will he enjoy the outing or would he rather snooze at home right then?

If I'm just running to pick up food or another errand where I don't leave the car I try and take a dog. It gets them used to going for rides and helps them be calm when we do. It's a nice way to break up a day and tire them out a little without much work on my part! I also try and take one if I run to the vet for a non-appointment reason so every time we go isn't something bad -the receptionists and techs love getting visits, I can weigh them, and, again, an outing that's fun! Going to an outdoor shopping area or garden store at off times for walking and exercise is good too - they can get used to meeting people and being in a more controlled environment.

With four dogs this means I'm trying to take one somewhere at least once a week, but I don't take them anywhere and everywhere with me. If I'm under a time crunch or schedule dogs are a no go - greyhounds get attention everywhere you go, so you need to build in time for attention and talking with people. It also just takes longer to do anything with a dog in tow! I don't leave my dogs in the car either - they come with me or they stay home. My more anxious dogs also don't leave the house very often, so assess his temperament too.

But don't feel guilty if you leave him for a couple hours! He will likely just sleep - just like he would do if you were home! If you feel he can be trustworthy left alone in the house, give him a short trial out of his crate (or left with the door open). Take him if you want and have the time (and energy!). It's good for everyone! But he doesn't have to go every time or even most times. It should be fun!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

IMO the overuse of crates is the greatest disservice ever done to greyhounds by the adoption community. A small crate alone in a house is a far cry from their living quarters at the track. Is there a way you could baby gate him in the kitchen if you don't want to give him full roam? My hounds have had full roam unless they proved themselves unworthy of it.

Maggie the terrier wants to go every time I put on my shoes but I say "not now - soon" and we go for a walk when I get back from errands. There are so few places dogs are welcomed because of liability issues and incidents such as this.
http://www.fox4news.com/news/police-searching-for-owner-after-dog-bites-woman-outside-dallas-starbucks

There is a huge sign on the door of my Home Depot that says ONLY certified service dogs can enter. You could leave him in the car with windows cracked in very temperate weather... but one person's idea of temperate is not another's...as my friend found out when the police smashed her SUV window and took her dogs..

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

IMO the overuse of crates is the greatest disservice ever done to greyhounds by the adoption community. A small crate alone in a house is a far cry from their living quarters at the track. Is there a way you could baby gate him in the kitchen if you don't want to give him full roam? My hounds have had full roam unless they proved themselves unworthy of it.

I agree with this. Two decades ago, people never used to crate dogs routinely, dogs got used to being in the house gradually by keeping them close to a person and by keeping them on a leash. However, as people got busier in the last two decades and could not take the time to acclimate a dog to teh home, adoption groups (both greyhound and others) would tell people just to crate the dog. What was intended as a short-term tool to training turned into a long-term solution. When I first started to foster, I used a crate for a short time with the dogs but eventually, just stopped using crates at all - dogs were happier without it.

I enjoy taking the dogs on errands and they act like they like it, too. After all, it mimics the way dog packs act. One individual doesn't usually go off alone, a group goes together. And besides, there's looking out the window, sniffing the air, getting treats at the bank and pharmacy windows, and sometimes getting out. I don't crate the dogs at home, but I imagine if a dog likes its crate, it's fine with it.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Between November-March, I take my grey with me fairly often to run errands. Usually a trip with errands for me than a walk at a park for him. The first time I did this I'd only had him a short time and he was an anxious mess when I left him in the car, and got poop all over himself. So we practiced on being settled in the car before trying again. Now he's a pro!

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

Here in Florida it is against the law to leave dogs in vehicles. I never take the dogs to run errands unless they can go inside with me.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Mine had separation anxiety when we first got him, and couldn't be crated (he would break out), but he was fine being alone in the car for whatever reason so we got in the habit of taking him everywhere when had leave (we both work from home).

Now his anxiety is getting better, but we still take him a lot of places, especially if it's short trips. My car also has a remote start option so the car be locked and running for heat/ac.

Going on car rides is his absolute favorite thing, so if I can bring him, I will.

i take the dogs/dog on errands. i just make sure the weather is cooperative. stealing samples at the farmer's market was felix's favorite activity. all of my dogs go antiquing, camping, traveling anywhere and dine outside at cafes and coffee shops. it's great to teach them manners when you are dining.

and yes, i have always used crates with out any problems- except for lack of space in my home. when he was boarded felix knew which crate was "his" and quietly stared out any dog who was in it. as a matter of fact felix would not leave his crate at the very end, it was his most favorite place. it saddened us to fold it up and put it away since he could no longer maneuver out of it. we gave him an elevated bed for his last hours.

If I’m going places the dogs can go, they go with me. Several places here in town love Cosmo, and fuss at me when I don’t bring him with me. We go in at the credit union, several clothing stores, all the outdoor stores, most of the outdoor stores, the gun range, musical instrument stores. A couple of restaurants let us sit outside on the patio.

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor