Rehoming - Columbus Oh Area (Suggestions/ideas Welcome)

Guest jg_columbusOH

Guest jg_columbusOH

Hello! I have never posted here before but have been on this site several times to skim postings on behavioral and training advice. I know this is a touchy topic, but I'm hoping to generate interest, ideas, and/or suggestions from my post!

My husband and I rescued our sweet 4 y/o boy, Tito, in December 2017 from an awesome adoption agency who have been nothing but informative, supportive and encouraging to us since we’ve had him. We love Tito so much and have gone back and forth on what we should do since I became pregnant in spring. Tito is a sweet, affectionate, and silly greyhound who adds so much to our family (my husband and I and two cats at the moment). Unfortunately, we have found that he is very fearful of children and have been told by two professionals from different agencies among many others we’ve talked to, that it is risky to consider keeping him once we bring a baby in to the home (I’m thinking it would likely be fine until the baby starts becoming mobile).

Apart from his fear of children, Tito does come with other special needs which we have been managing for some time now; however, we have seen significant improvement and after our last behavioral evaluation a couple weeks ago, have much more hope that with the right support and training, he (and his next owners) can overcome. Some of these issues include territorial aggression, fear/distrust of strangers, and the need for control. The last two points are up for debate, as two different professionals have come to these separate conclusions. Tito has been prescribed anxiety medication which he has been on since spring and has been doing well— again, depending on the professional you talk to, these meds may or may not be necessary. For the time being, we have kept giving the meds to him so as not to disrupt his routine.

There is a lot more I could write here but I don’t want to make this post too long. What it comes down to, is were hoping to find the right person to take Tito in. Although the adoption agency we’ve worked with is more than willing to take him back, the thought of dropping him off there is devastating. We realize it may come to this at some point, but were going to try our best to reach out for potential adopters ourselves. His best chance would be a person(s) without children, with greyhound experience, patience, and with knowledge or willingness to learn how to shape greyhound behavior.

We are in the Columbus area (Ohio). If anyone has any interest at all, please let me know. I have lots more information to provide and am more than willing to answer questions. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to people, agencies, websites, etc. to reach out to, I’m willing to hear any and all suggestions. Our boy deserves a happy future.

Everything you have written is logical and clear. Your desire to do right by your boy is obvious. I would urge you to reread your legally signed adoption contract as it may state explicitly that your dog must be returned to it's original adoption group, if possible, if a return is needed.

If they have been supportive with their time and suggestions then there shouldn't be an issue with returning the dog to their care, as they will already have a complete picture of what his new home should be like (and they probably already have an inkling that this is coming). They will also likely have contacts among previous adoptors who have the necessary experience to deal with his issues.

Please be very, very careful if you utilize public options like CraigsList or PetFinder. There are some very unscrupulous people out there.

It's a hard situation no matter how you do it. Thank you for keeping Tito's best future in mind. Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest jg_columbusOH

Thanks for the response! We have reached out to them and they are aware this is coming and more than willing to help. My thought is the more we (the rescue, my husband and I) can spread the word, the better chance we will have to find a person or family that has interest and will be a good fit. I just have a feeling he is not going to be so easy to place, and best case scenario would be for him to transition from our home to a new home without having to go back to the rescue kennels. If I am able to generate any interest through reaching out myself, I definitely plan to put that person in contact with the rescue and have them initiate the interviewing/rehoming process.

Yes, please, definitely return him to your group and allow your group to rehome him. THis is the best for all concerned. They will have the contacts to help place him where he can thrive with these known issues, rather than him going to people who like how he looks (as an extreme example). You are doing a very hard, but very good thing for him but need to do it the right way by allowing your group to rehome him.

We had to return a hound and within 2 weeks of being back with our group was adopted out into the perfect situation for him - it was not easy but so much better knowing that he had the support of the group to place him appropriately.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

My first thought was if he were placed outside of his original group and the new home didn't work out, Tito might then not have a safe place to land. Please do reconsider returning him to his group. It sounds as tho they have been tremendously helpful to you as you work through everything with Tito, and I suspect that they will continue to do their very best to ensure that Tito is well placed.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest jg_columbusOH

Tito_Pic_1.jpg

This is Tito:)

Thanks for all the concern! Like I said, I am not going behind the rescue agency's back-- if we found anyone interested at all I would like to give them some more information and then would refer them to talk to the rescue we got him from. I definitely would not allow a transition to a new home without the ok from them first. As of right now the rescue is very busy with new hounds so we are waiting until this fall/winter to take him back unless we find the right person or family (with the rescue's permission) before then. Just trying to be proactive!

As far as with other dogs, we've never had a problem. We've dog sat for a friends dog, taken him to the dog park, take him on walks around other dogs, etc. Sometimes on walks he seems a little jumpy around other dogs but I think its because he wants to play or run.

oh he is so handsome! Glad to hear you will work with the adoption group - that truly is the best for all. Not every dog is the right fit for the right situation, it happens all the time and KNOWING it's not the right fit and making it work out best for everyone is truly the most important thing and I commend you for knowing something needs to be done. :)

3 of our four have been in previous homes and returned for all different reasons. We turned out to be their right spot. :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Agree... work with your group.

3 out of 4 of mine also came to us from other homes. The previous owners notified the group and the group placed them with us.

One was labelled with SA and needed a home with other dogs.

Another family had a baby (grrrrrr).

Our most recent boys previous owner became quite ill.

And all of them are perfect here with us.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I will say it again, return the dog to the group! It is far easier for both the dog and the group!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

We are on our 11th greyhound, with over 20 years of being greyhound owners. We have had to return 2. No shame, no drama, no regrets. Neither dog was a fit for our home. End of statement.

I will simply reiterate once again, return the dog to the group.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Please return the dog to your adoption group. That way his whereabouts will be known and he will be placed in a good home. If you do this yourself you risk something going wrong.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

The OP has already explicitly stated several times that they are working WITH their adoption group on this rehoming process. I don't think it's necessary for everyone to keep telling them to send the dog back to the group. I think a lot of folks probably didn't read all of the posts and maybe haven't seen the responses from the OP, but it's not that long of a thread so we really should. If the group is aware and working with them on the issue, then there's no need for the dog to be stressed unnecessarily by going back to a kennel environment. As long as the group is aware of what his issues and concerns are, potential adopters will probably get a better sense of him in his home environment than in a kennel environment. It doesn't sound like the OP is rehoming this dog all on her own.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

The OP has already explicitly stated several times that they are working WITH their adoption group on this rehoming process. I don't think it's necessary for everyone to keep telling them to send the dog back to the group. I think a lot of folks probably didn't read all of the posts and maybe haven't seen the responses from the OP, but it's not that long of a thread so we really should. If the group is aware and working with them on the issue, then there's no need for the dog to be stressed unnecessarily by going back to a kennel environment. As long as the group is aware of what his issues and concerns are, potential adopters will probably get a better sense of him in his home environment than in a kennel environment. It doesn't sound like the OP is rehoming this dog all on her own.

Thank you for pointing this out. I'm not sure why people didn't read the posts from the owner.

• 3 weeks later...

You are doing right by Tito. He is a very lucky boy to have some one that cares about him and loves him so much doing everything possible to insure his future happiness. I just wanted to share something I have found out through many years of greyhound and dog handling. It is a powerful thing first taught to me by my soul mate greyhound Slim and it is this. The dog picks the people. It is uncanny how the right dog finds the right people/home and there is usually far more going on then what we are observing and aware of. I have seen and been a part of dogs finding their perfect home immediately upon being returned for things that one would think would make it quite difficult to find a new home. So don't worry about Tito. There is the perfect home for him and he may very well find it much quicker than anybody thinks. Apparently his perfect place was not available earlier and I guarantee you that he will be forever grateful to you for caring and loving him while circumstances arranged it. It is all good. Tito will always love you guys and you will always love him AND he will be where he is supposed to be accomplishing whatever his earthly mission is. It WILL all work out for the best. I guarantee it. In fact please post someday after all this goes down so we can see and celebrate how love always triumphs. I am sorry you didn't find the hound meant to be yours forever on your first adoption but someday you will probably take satisfaction in seeing the part you played in helping Tito to his perfect place. And there may very well be a perfect dog working his way to your arms and home right now.