Sleep Aggression When Considering A Greyhound? Newbie Here

Guest tupp22

Hi all, I'm new to the world of greyhounds and already pretty obsessed! My husband and I are looking to adopt one this spring/early summer. I've read the dummies book and Adopting the Racing Greyhound by C Branigan and watched sooooo many youtube videos (hi Doodad, looking at you)! Each time I've had a concern I've found an answer either on this forum or in one of the books. My latest concern is sleep aggression. We have an older non-greyhound dog and a cat. We would gradually introduce them all and take precautions when they are all awake, but I'm afraid of instinct taking over when the greyhound is feeling vulnerable in it's bed. The cat and dog usually sleep with us and my plan will be to start the greyhound in a crate and gradually move to a bed in our room. She would not be allowed on our bed to sleep. I've read a couple of nightmare stories about sleep aggression and biting. We both know and understand that we would not touch or stand near the dog unless it's awake but I'm worried about our current pets, in particular the cat. He loves to snuggle and is pretty slow, so he wouldn't be able to get away from the greyhound, especially if we are all in the same room. I can just see him wanting to snuggle with the dog in a comfy bed. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

I'm so excited and can't wait to join the cult :ghplaybow

We have had 7 greyhounds and only one had sleep startle or aggression. I didn't even know what that was. I looked up something on the old GH-L and was told to throw rolled up socks at him from across the room. Wakes him up, without a person. I always called his name when I approached him or wanted him to pay attention. I did that for his whole entire life. He did not have sleep aggression with our other dogs.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I have 3 and none that are a risk for sleep startle or aggression. Kili doesn't like to be touched/moved but she doesn't snap, she grumbles a little and then if she really can't stand it she'll get up and move to another couch or bed of her own accord (usually just to come crawling back about 30 seconds later, she's a funny one). Kenna is our only one that actually likes to snuggle and be held.

Our very first foster was the only one that was bad for space aggression... you couldn't sit or lay down on the floor next to his bed. He was sweet as pie at all other times though.

I would just let the adoption group know what you're looking for and pick a group that fosters their dogs first.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Out of the nine greyhounds and two fosters we've had only three have had sleep startling. But they had it *really* badly. Our first greyhound was a terror and unable to sleep in close proximity with anyone - person, dog, or cat. The other animals quickly learned to leave her alone when she was laying down - even the cats who liked to snuggle. The other two were bad when they came home but gradually got better, and eventually were able to sleep with us very well. Once you have identified it, it mostly becomes a management issue, and you learn to make sure they are awake and aware before you approach them.

Remember, they have never in their whole life had to share space with any other creature where they didn't know they were coming. Since their puppy days up til about 15-18 months old, they are with their littermates. Then they move to having their own private condo space in the training and racing kennels. No one touches them without them knowing it well in advance. Then they come into an adoptive home and there are *all* these different humans, maybe some strange dogs, or weird creatures called cats and they are supposed to be able to relax in that type of atmosphere?? It's a wonder that more greyhounds don't have sleep startle!

Sometimes the behavior extinguishes itself as the dog learns to trust his new environment, and sometimes it doesn't. There are plenty of threads here on GT about it, so you should be able to search them out for more suggestions, if needed.

But yes. If it's an issue, definitely bring it up with your adoption group. If they foster their dogs they should be able to suggest a dog that has a higher threshold for you.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yes.

:)

There are a lot of things you could obsess about, but why? No reason to believe that the dog you pick will have sleep aggression, particulary if it's cat safe.

Just be totally frank with whatever adoption group you work with, and hopefully you'll end up with one of the many retired racers who don't have that issue!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We have had 7 greyhounds. Only one had sleep space aggression and his favorite place to sleep was crosswise in the hallway. Our cats learned to either avoid him or leap over him. No one was ever hurt.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I've had 7 greyhounds and several fosters and none had sleep startle, all but one were cat safe. Your new dog may have a few space issues at first, just because everything is so new and strange, so hold off on the snuggling at first, unless the dog initiates it :) Also, remember that some greys sleep with their eyes open (I've had three that did) so you may not know for sure at first if he is really asleep :lol

Thank you all so much! This really does help a lot. I can't wait to move forward with the adoption process. The group we are looking at, Greyhound Welfare in MD, fosters their dogs beforehand and seems good about informing about any issues. I plan to make our situation clear about our current dog and cat. I'm so excited thinking that our very own needle nose is out there somewhere already getting ready for a forever home :)

Rogue does not have sleep aggression, but we did have an adjustment period that I had to keep reminding myself about. For example, the first time I leaned down to "cuddle" him after a good belly rub, he growled at me. That was in the first week. I never had that happen again. When he figured out how to use the couch and would fall asleep on there, I accidentally woke him a handful of times and got a snarling face. So I cut him off from couch privileges for a month or so and now we have no couch issues. I've only had Rogue for 10 months, but he gets more and more settled as time goes on. Try not to obsess over the little things and just enjoy your hound!

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

Thank you all so much! This really does help a lot. I can't wait to move forward with the adoption process. The group we are looking at, Greyhound Welfare in MD, fosters their dogs beforehand and seems good about informing about any issues. I plan to make our situation clear about our current dog and cat. I'm so excited thinking that our very own needle nose is out there somewhere already getting ready for a forever home :)

I applied with Greyhound Welfare too, though in the end I ended up adopting from Greyhound Rescue. Just an easier process. Greyhound Rescue typically doesn't foster, so being in a house is new to our boy. The foster family should be able to tell you a lot. I took our little dog to meet the dogs at Greyhound Rescue. I'm guessing Greyhound Welfare will suggest the same thing. Good luck!

I volunteered with GW for over a decade and all of mine have come from them. :) With their foster program and adoption process you will likely have an idea in advance of whether the dog has sleep/startle issues. I would just avoid dogs that are relatively new off the track or fostered with no other animals as they will be less likely to have a read on those dogs.

You could always try fostering first too. They provide a lot of resources and it would let you get a feel for having a greyhound in your home. Just be clear about what your ultimate intentions are.

Welcome to the cult. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Our first girl had bad sleep startle when she was a bit younger but has grown out of it. Perfectly timed - she seemed to grow out of it as soon as our son was born. Coincidence? No idea.

You learn to deal with it, same with any other quirk.

Best of luck in finding your new family member!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Rosie sleeps across the foot of our bed and sometimes growls when we touch her in the night - when she wakes we tell her if she doesn't like being touched, to sleep on the floor. She never does :rofl

Cheers

Tony

The perfect solution! :rofl

Don't worry about it. It's not that common. Use common sense. Let sleeping dogs lie. You'll be fine. I actually had a dog with sleep aggression - one out of the 16 that have lived in my home - and it was totally workable. Sleep aggression in the few greys that actually have it, almost never have an issue with other animals. My sleep-startle/sleep aggressive dog NEVER had an issue with other animals. Animals instinctively don't get into that. It's only with people that it's an issues, in the small percentage that actually have it.

Side note - IMHO - you should plan on letting a new grey sleep in your bedroom from day 1. In a crate is fine. But, from my personal experience, a new dog NEEDS to sleep with its people. It's a scary transition, so being in the same room with people, and other animals is a GOOD thing. Don't leave it alone at night. Let it sleep in your bedroom. This is really important. And, a much bigger thing to think about and plan for than "possible" sleep aggression

Good for you for asking questions! The BEST grey owners are those that ask for advice. After you get your grey, you're going to have lots of problems and questions - ASK! We've been there. We can help.

Don't worry about it. It's not that common. Use common sense. Let sleeping dogs lie. You'll be fine. I actually had a dog with sleep aggression - one out of the 16 that have lived in my home - and it was totally workable. Sleep aggression in the few greys that actually have it, almost never have an issue with other animals. My sleep-startle/sleep aggressive dog NEVER had an issue with other animals. Animals instinctively don't get into that. It's only with people that it's an issues, in the small percentage that actually have it.

This is not true in the least. Sleep/startle aggression can be directed at only people, only animals, or both.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

This is not true in the least. Sleep/startle aggression can be directed at only people, only animals, or both.

I'll concede the point. I should've worded my post better and thought about it in a broader sense. In my personal experience, and in that of the people that I talked to with the same issue, there was never a startle issue with other animals - BUT - there were only greys in those houses. In our experience, the other greys knew not to invade each others' space and trigger a reaction. So, I over-generalized. The OP has other non-grey animals in the house, and I can't in good conscience speak to that, but I did, without paying attention to the original point of the question. Thank you for calling me out on this.

Glad others are paying attention and keeping me honest! I truly don't want to hand out crap advice.

• 3 weeks later...

I was concerned about this too before we adopted our grey last year, particularly as we have younger children. She has never shown any signs of sleep startle at all but we did, and constantly do, remind the children not to approach her if she's not completely awake. She also sleeps on her back with her eyes half open and her head hanging off the sofa with her tongue lolling out, which in itself is quite startling to see. A babysitter was quite alarmed and thought she died!

I got my dog from Greyhound Welfare when they still had a Mass. branch. My dog was fostered. His foster had NO CLUE he had pretty serious sleep aggression, so don't be overly confident about the fostering process. There are, of course, mostly fantastic people who foster. But they one who had my dog was not. She never fostered for them again after I told them some of the things she had been doing (and not doing).

Their branch in MD has been around longer, I believe, and is supposed to be a good, strong group!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck