Mets To Right Femur

Guest astritle

Guest astritle

I'm so devastated. Marco suddenly developed a severe limp upon waking up on the Tuesday before Christmas. Nothing unusual happened the day before, and he is a pretty chill dude, we do leash walks/potty breaks and I let him decide how far we go; he loves cuddling, does occasional brief zoomies in the house. Woke up with me at 5am and would not bear weight on his right rear leg. Tried to hobble a few steps and just laid down. Wagging his tail at me but yawning (he's never been a big vocaiizer). Fortunately, my boyfriend was able to carry him down the stairs and to the car and we took him in the emergency vet. His only pain on physical exam was with hip extension. They did a tick borne disease panel which was negative. He got a week's worth of hydrocodone and rimadyl and he did very well. When we were able to get into his regular vet 5 days later, he was back to his normal self and had a totally normal exam. They suggested we finish out the week course of meds and to call back if he worsened. He did perfectly normal for about a week. Then we got the polar vortex here in Minnesota, and he was not fond of heavy coat and boats, and getting down the necessary 16 steps from our apartment became increasing more bribery efforts, but once outside, he trotted around, wagging his tail, playing in the snow. This changed this Friday night when he was super resistant to going down the stairs, I pushed his bum pretty steadily and he did what he needed to do once outside, but getting up the stairs was a challenge too. This morning, he was clearly limping on the right rear leg again, trying not to put weight on it, but he really wanted to go outside, so we went slow and made it for him to pee and then he bee-lined for home. We got up the stairs and then he laid down after eating breakfast and did not want to move. Was able to get my friend to come help me as I wanted to see (a different) emergency vet near my apartment. He was so excited to meet a new person, he went down the stairs on his own but we had to lift him into the car. E-vet was very busy, but we eventually got seen and nothing glaring on physical exam but we agreed about x-rays as this was our 3rd vet visit in nearly 3 weeks. Unfortunately, x-rays showed opaque lesion in his right femur, most consistent with a metastatic lesion per the canine radiologist. Unknown primary obviously. He's had zero other symptoms than this limp. He's been restarted on the hydrocodone and rimadyl, ate dinner well tonight, and even roached. But is not excited to stand and move. From my research, mets to bone are rare, most commonly lung, prostate, and hemangiosarcoma, and none have very good survival rates with mets. I love my boy so much, I'm so sad. I was not ready for this at all. I want him to be happy and will do what is best for him but this just sucks. Love my love bug. :'(

I'm so sorry, I know how gut wenching and scary this is. I strongly suggest you get a second opinion from a truly greyhound savvy vet, particularly an oncologist, for sure. Given that he's a greyhound, I'd sooner guess osteosarcoma. Like I said the other day, it's a club no one wants to be a member of.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

So sorry for Marcos diagnosis.

My Nixon has recently been diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in his LF humerus.

I read the entire Osto thread as soon as I got home from the Vet last Saturday. There is so much valuable info there.

As well, Marco needs some serious pain meds. Can you find a more knowledgeable Vet?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I am so sorry. Annie spontaneously broke her rear leg jumping off the bed. From what I have read this seems to be all too common these days. The vets at the emergency center did not recognize the osteo.even though I was sure it was related to osteo. The additional viewing by the radiologist at the Antech lab did. Get a second opinion ASAP! You do not want to contend with a bad break. Hugs to you and your pup.annie too had NO signs of any problems other than arthritis.

Edited by cleptogrey

Agree, sounds like osteo based on the presentation. I would consult with an oncologist.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am so sorry. Annie spontaneously broke her rear leg jumping off the bed. From what I have read this seems to be all too common these days. The vets at the emergency center did not recognize the osteo.even though I was sure it was related to osteo. The additional viewing by the radiologist at the Antech lab did. Get a second opinion ASAP! You do not want to contend with a bad break. Hugs to you and your pup.annie too had NO signs of any problems other than arthritis.

Yes, Sallie had no previous limp before her leg broke. I don’t want to scare you, but dealing with a spontaneous broken leg is a horror you do not want.

I'm so sorry you're joining this horrible club. Cancer is the worst kind of thief there is - it steals our sweet dogs way before their time.

Please do read through the Osteo Club thread on this page. All of us who post there have either dealt with or are dealing with osteo currently. We can answer questions and direct you to further information. Having a veterinary oncologist on board for treatment is important - regular vets just can't keep up with all the new information that is happening - particularly if you decide to follow a palliative care plan.

{{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I agree with the others that you should consider contacting Dr. Couto for a second opinion on the diagnosis and then make an appointment with a oncologist preferably one associated with a hospital affiliated with a vet school. There are quite a few clinical trials going on now and might be able to get into one.

Guest astritle

I have greyt news!! With the expertise of Dr. Couto, Marco's diagnosis is actually a bone infarct, NOT cancer. We did get a lot of blood work and imaging, which were all normal, which is also reassuring. He's on half a baby aspirin a day as well as rimadyl and gabapentin twice a day. He is definitely back to himself, happy and romping, with no sign of the limp. Thrilled to say the least!!

I have greyt news!! With the expertise of Dr. Couto, Marco's diagnosis is actually a bone infarct, NOT cancer. We did get a lot of blood work and imaging, which were all normal, which is also reassuring. He's on half a baby aspirin a day as well as rimadyl and gabapentin twice a day. He is definitely back to himself, happy and romping, with no sign of the limp. Thrilled to say the least!!

So good to read.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest LockportGrey

That is greyt news. Thank God he's better.

Wow! Great news!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

That is awesome news!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.