Thinking About Adopting (Yes Another Post About This) - Thoughts Pleas

Guest LolaMe23

Guest LolaMe23

Hi All! I’ve been lurking here for some time and finally decided to post. I have wanted to bring a greyhound into my home for about a year but just not sure and would love opinions. I’ve read a ton of “about greyhounds” sections in various adoption agency sites, and I’m about 1/2 through “Greyhounds for Dummies”. I would be a first time dog owner. I haven't heard back from the couple of applications I sent in this week, but hope to discuss this with agencies eventually. But I’m a little worried that in an effort to be polite, they won’t straight up tell me “Girl, what are you thinking? No Greyhound for you!” So I would really like some honest opinions and thoughts about whether based on your experience, you think my lifestyle and expectations are reasonable to bring a greyhound home. Please don’t worry about hurting my feelings, blunt honesty is completely fine! :) Plus, ya’ll seem like nice people anyways.

Yes, I’ve read a lot of the other “thinking about adopting” and “just adopted, did I make a mistake” posts. And also just reading posts about behaviour/training questions gives me a lot of insight. But thought I would put my own situation out there. What do you think?

Work situation:

· I work full-time M-F and my workdays can be long, but there’s some flexibility as to when I’m actually in the office

· Mornings, I leave my house anywhere from 8am – 10am and I’m home anywhere from 4-7pm.

· When very busy, I’ll usually leave and work late into the night at home as opposed to having to be in the office late, so I could be at home with Dog in the evenings.

· Can work at home 1-2 days a week. On the other days I would pay for a walker to take Dog out mid-day. Coming by at lunch myself is not an option (too far).

· Work requires travel, usually 3 days but can be 4. Every 4-5 weeks tops. Sometimes less (have only travelled for work twice since January, so just depends). I assume I wld board Dog while I’m traveling. Having someone just come by to check on her doesn’t seem adequate.

Lifestyle/the rest of the stuff:

· Single, late 30’s, no children.

· 1BR Condo, about 625sqFt. Dogs allowed in the bldg.

· Never any type of “parties” or loudness at home.

· Weekends usually consist of errands, working out, and visits to a coffee shop or restaurant to read and people watch. Lots of outside places, so I would love to be able to take Dog once I can assess how comfortable she is.

· I don’t do the “nightlife” thing anymore so lots of weekend time with Dog.

· Live in WashDC area, so fairly urban environment but nothing on par with say NYC. Tons of trails, walking paths, parks near home. Lots of people and dogs out walking/jogging/etc, esp in nice weather, but enough space to maneuver if Dog is shy at first. I hate crowds myself so I know what places and times to avoid. But if Dog is more social, there would be plenty of opportunities to meet other dogs.

· There are dog parks in my ‘hood but I see that’s a bit controversial? I would assume I wldn’t be visiting dog parks at first, unless it’s really early in the AM when no one is there.

Expectations/Concerns:

· I want a friend to basically just hang with. While I’m somewhat active, I’m more of a leisurely walk/slow trail hike type of person. And then a sitting on the couch type person. This is partly why a greyhound first started to appeal to me. I love the other larger breeds, but most are just too high energy for me.

· Little worried about aggression as a first time dog owner. I have read Grey’s can nip or bite if they get excited? Those aren’t small teeth so that would scare the hell out of me. I am not sure if this is something that can recognized on a dog by dog basis by the rescue organization.

· Also a little concerned that I won’t be taking Dog out somewhere to “run free” on a weekly basis, much less daily. There might be some Grey appropriate closed-in areas within driving distance, but it won’t be regular thing. I don't have a yard obviously so Dog will ALWAYS be on leash.

· Live on the 8th floor so every walk will involve walking down the narrowish hallway where people and even dogs might be close by suddenly (currently only 1 dog on my floor but obvs this could change and there are others in the bldg.). And taking the elevator every time. Will Dog hate that??

Ugh, that got too long. If you made it this far, I congratulate you. Any thoughts or ideas are immensely appreciated. In the meantime, I will lurk here and look at pics of all of your adorable guys and girls. Thanks much.

When we adopted our guy, it was the first dog I had had on my own (no parents). I also grew up with a pug, so I really went for the total opposite in all but laziness. We also lived in a DC area high-rise, where Marvin had to take the elevator (he loves elevators). We have now lived in 6 places with Marv over the past 5 years, including a 700 sq.ft. apartment, and only one had a yard. Leash walking is just fine. Your adoption group will match you with a dog that is more laid back than one that requires a lot of exercise and a yard.

Most greys like schedules, so keeping your hound on a schedule for going outside, whether it's with you or with a dog walker will be a big key, especially early on. There is a settling in period, so if you do decide to give it a go, I highly suggest going with a group that fosters dogs first. I would be upfront about your travel schedule as well. Some groups have great hound sitters, and this could be a great way for adopting to work for you. My dog used to commute from DC to Norfolk, VA with me every week. We would drive down Tuesday mornings, where I would drop him off with his/our favorite sitter, and then pick him up Thursdays after work to go home to DC with me. Not ideal, but we did it for over a year, and he came home a smidgen more of a real dog than the giant lazy tiger cat he was before. Some people on here will suggest that you don't adopt because of the travel and shifting work schedule, but I think you can make it work. It will be up to you to make sure you find a dog walker and sitter that you and your dog can build a good relationship with. I think you should be able to find someone in the MD/DC/NoVA area who would work with you on the dog sitting.

For any days regularly over 9-10 hours, you will definitely need a dog walker, but it sounds like you have already thought that part out. Your situation isn't ideal, but hey, almost no one's is! It's about putting your new hound first, and to me, it sounds like you're willing and already planning on doing that. I'd talk with Greyhound Welfare and Great Expectations up there. Both have great networks of adopters near you.

I had a similar lifestyle. I had a friend come to walk them every day around noon, and a friend to look after them when I had to travel. Worked out fine.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

You certainly are well-prepared :thumbs-up

And really...no matter what breed of dog you choose, it will have to adjust to your lifestyle.

My hounds never get to 'run free' anymore. It is highly over rated.

My guys really don't miss it. Although... We do have a fenced in yard and they do enjoy a good zoom once around the yard a few times a week.

We used to meet other Greys at a ball diamond, but things got out of control ...some minor agression issues... The whole 'pack mentality' comes into play very easily with too many dogs. Plus some injuries - strains mostly- can occur when they are racing around at top speeds.

Many, many Greys live without yards and leash walking is the only option. I have the utmost respect for these owners, as having to leash up my dog for potty breaks in the snowing, blowing sub zero temps here in Ontario is not my idea of fun.

Two of mine are 'air biters' . Well...more like 'snappers', as they don't really bite. And it's only when they get excited. Which is almost every morning before breakfast. They have connected once or twice over the years... It's more like a little bee sting... not an actual chomp ;)

My guys are perfectly fine in elevators. We visit at an old age home with an elevator.

I'm sure more people will chime in with ideas and suggestions.

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

If we wait for the "perfect" adoption scenario, not a lot of dogs would get adopted.

When we adopted our first greyhound, we both commuted to New York. We were gone about 7 to 8 hours a day. We didn't have a dog walker and our girl did fine. They do sleep a lot. When we came home, sometimes, she would run around the yard a bit before she would even pee. Good luck whatever you decide.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

IMO, nothing in your post would absolutely rule you out as an adopter, but as several said above, you will need to adjust your lifestyle somewhat when you adopt any dog - it's just a given. Most feel that that adjustment is more of an enhancement than a detraction though.

As far as your schedule goes, you will need to commit to getting your dog enough exercise. Greyhounds don't need hours and hours, but they do need some morning and evening. If that means getting up an extra hour earlier, or skipping lunch at the office and heading home at 4 - are you able and willing to commit that time and energy to your new companion?? It's something to really consider for yourself. Also the question of costs come into adoption - can you afford a daily dog walker? Can you afford monthly or bi-monthly boarding? It's not cheap for a large dog. Do you have friends and/or family who could help out?

Living situation is also something to plan for. What will you do if the power in your building goes out? What's your back up plan in case of emergency? Can you move an unconscious dog by yourself? How would you in a health crisis? What if your dog has diarrhea? Do you know people in your building who could help? Believe me, if you don't know anyone now, you will after you adopt a greyhound!!! They are people magnets!

I would also vote for working with a group that fosters. That way you have a better understanding of how the dog will react in an actual home situation, and the group will be better able to match you with a dog that suits your lifestyle. An older dog who is a return (through no fault of their own) or an older brood mama can be wonderful first greyhounds as they are mostly calm and unflappable.

"Aggression" is a loaded word, and probably not accurate in the sense you were using it. Greyhounds are rarely truly aggressive to people. What you seem to be describing is what we call "nitting" and it's more of a play behavior (though it certainly can leave a nice bruise). They also *can* seem to not be comfortable around other breeds of dogs, but it's just as likely they will be fine meeting their new neighbors.

When you bring your dog home for the first time you may want to consider taking a nuber of days off. This will be a big deal for you since it's your first dog, and you'll want time for both of you to adapt and settle into a new normal. Schedules are very important for greyhounds, so establish your work schedule right away, do your alone training, and expect to have a blast!

My best advice is to be totally honest with whatever group you end up going with, once you've thought about some of the things that will be brought up here for you. Show them you can plan ahead for the good of your dog, and that you're committed to doing what needs to be done. They should be open to getting you a compatible dog and helping you through your adjustment period.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I actually have a great sitter that moves into my house when I have to be out of town. It has always worked great. I leash walk mine a couple of times a day. In the winter (Savannah, Ga) we walk a couple of miles, but in the summer it is more like 2 blocks. We do not do dog parks. I also have a very small fenced in yard, so they can trot around and throw stuffies. I have never had one bit me..though one of them had bad sleep startle..so, I just learned not to get close to him while he was sleeping. Mine sleep in crates in my room at night and I never hear a sound from them. So, that works great. They want to be close to their owners. None of them were house broken when I got them, but they learn quickly and then again keep them on a tight schedule. Heart Guard Plus and a Serento collar works for us.

Hi!

I lived in NYC when we adopted our first grey. On the 12th floor of a BIG apartment building right on 42nd street so our girl had to get used to elevators. We even got stuck in one for a couple of hours once, luckily after a walk :lol We did make sure to work on learning stairs, though, just in case the elevator was out of service. You've obviously done a lot of good thinking!

As others have chimed in, most greys seem to do best on a familiar routine, because they have had a pretty rigid schedule for most of their lives. Will that relax a bit over time? Sure, maybe- depends on the dog. Mine refuse to sleep in because they want their morning walkies and breakfast darn it! Others have to be coaxed out of bed in the mornings. When we first adopted, my husband and I were taking turns coming home at lunchtime to give our girl a walk (we were lucky enough to both work within walking distance of our apartment). After the second week, when we had to wake her up to go for a walk, we said forget it, and haven't looked back. The only time since that we've done lunchtime walks is when adopting a new dog or when someone has been sick. Otherwise, our girls go about 9 hours usually, 4 days/week - which some people will say isn't good, but it's worked for us. I do work only a few minutes away so could adjust my schedule and come home at lunchtime as needed. On Fridays I don't work so I'm usually around the house, same with weekends. We sometimes take them on adventures, sometimes not.

We typically boarded when we went away although now with two, a neighbor comes in several times a day to give them walks and attention (she also works for our vet, so bonus!). Especially if you adopt through a group, you might find other owners who will "greysit" when you're away - a nice option. We're too far away from anyone in our adoption group but lots of people do it.

We did adopt a boy who was very, very needy - it didn't matter that our girl was around for company, he pined for humans. It didn't matter that we got our routine more and more and more rigid to try and help his anxiety and eventually we had to return him because he was miserable and was making everyone else miserable. We then adopted a little girl who had been returned to our group because her first adopter was unable to care for her any longer, and she has dropped into our household and routines as though she's been here for years.

As others have said, working with a group is fantastic, and especially if you can find a group who fosters and gets a chance to know the dogs a bit before you adopt, that's ideal. The dogs have a chance to transition from track life to home life. Sometimes that is the most fun to watch, but if you're a first time adopter, I'd probably try to find a previously fostered pup.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

In addition to the excellent advice above:

elevators -- walk in one with Dog for the first and every other time with ease and confidence -- yawn, no big deal, piece of cake -- and that is how Dog will learn to react to one. The same can't be said of your neighbors and their guests, most of whom will not be expecting a big, beautiful creature waiting patiently on the other side of the elevator doors when they open. :)

those 8 flights of stairs -- maybe train for emergencies. Also, not a bad idea to have an "assistance harness" for medical situations -- kind of a sling with handles that will make helping an injured, weak, or seriously ill dog much easier.

Relax and enjoy :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest LolaMe23

Thanks everyone!! Really appreciate you sharing your experience and opinions. Seems like a few of you at least had less than "ideal" situations and it worked out fine. I will be sure to be honest with agency. I certainly don't want a bad situation for either Dog or me.

GreytTerp - thanks for the elevator insight. I don't know why it's worried me so much...but it just seems like a weirdo thing for a dog to have to adapt to. Guess its not a big deal. I'm sure there are way bigger deals that I haven't thought of yet. And GreytExpectations is where I have an adoption application, so I'm hoping to hear from them soon. They don't have kennels, just foster homes, which sounds ideal for a first time owner like me. Thanks again, great to hear from a former DC/NoVa grey owner!

Grey'sMom - good questions on whether I am willing to commit to Dog. While I certainly can't just skip lunch and leave early instead (just not how my job works), I absolutely have thought about the getting up an hour earlier question and I'm def. good with that. Also good with making it clear at the office that I have new responsibilities now and my schedule will have to be a bit more regimented than in the past.

This part though " What will you do if the power in your building goes out? What's your back up plan in case of emergency? Can you move an unconscious dog by yourself? How would you in a health crisis? ..." Yea, I haven't thought of those things. I guess I would do whatever I do for myself in an emergency? It's certainly tougher for a single person as we don't have a 2nd set of hands built into our lives, but I would assume I wld find a way to manage. Thanks for bringing it up, I'll have to think about contingency scenarios.

Will keep you all updated!

Guest LolaMe23

As others have said, working with a group is fantastic, and especially if you can find a group who fosters and gets a chance to know the dogs a bit before you adopt, that's ideal. The dogs have a chance to transition from track life to home life. Sometimes that is the most fun to watch, but if you're a first time adopter, I'd probably try to find a previously fostered pup.

Yep, that's what I was thinking too, that fostering would be best. I'm just hoping the groups around here will be accepting of me and my lifestyle, and not just write me off b/c I'm single and work full time. I think I'm just paranoid b/c of past comments made to me -- I went to a adoption event not long ago with a friend, had no intention of adopting this particular breed, just went with her for fun and I do love any time I can spend with dog. Found myself in a conversation with one of the people from the agency and she outright said to me "we don't like adopting to single people, your lives are just too unstable. What happens if you get married and your husband doesn't like the dog?". Seriously. Anyways, I'm probably thinking too hard about it. Thanks for your reply!

I would think, most groups in the DC area are used to working with career minded singles! And at some point, you just say to yourself, "Well, here we go!" and do it! Changing your life can be hard and drive you nuts and make you question yourself, but it can also be really fun, stretch your boundaries, and enrich your life.

You'll be fine! Really!

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Nothing about what you described would rule you out, but...

As a member of a super, super "doggy" family, I would have to say, personally, I think a greyhound is not a good choice for someone who has never had a dog before. Oh, sure, if you happen to get a perfect, easy hound, it would work out fine. But we see way too many posts here from people who thought they were prepared, and end up disappointed. Greyhounds are awesome, but a little...odd. You either learn to love their quirky nature, as most people on this board do, or you wonder why the dogs on TV and in the movies are so totally different from this slightly alien beast in your home!

I know it happened to ME, and I thought I knew everything anyone would ever need to know, having been raised with dogs and cared for them all my life.

Your best bet would be to ask for a "bounced" dog (one who was adopted, and normally through no fault of their own, returned). A group knows more about a dog who has already been in a home. Also, it's likely to be housebroken (some newbies seem to think that because they're adopting an adult dog, it will magically be housebroken, leash trained, and require no more work than a stuffed animal). Not that housebreaking is all THAT hard, but I was in an elevator building with my first hound, and it is certainly more difficult when you have to 1) get dressed, 2) make it down the hall, 3) make it down the elevator, and 4) find a place in the city where your dog is able to relieve himself quickly versus those lucky folks who have houses with fenced yards!

I sometimes worry about what I'll do if my dog needs to be carried--I can't carry him for more than a couple of feet, but...luck may have been with me, it's never happened. My mutt dog I had when I lived in Boston tore his ACL one morning, and his leg was totally unusable, but he was able to walk on three legs--that's the closest I've come to an emergency.

Just offering MY opinion. I expect I may be skewered by people who do think greyhounds are awesome first time dogs--so take it for what it is. Just my personal opinion.

Good luck, and this is a great place to ask questions.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Greyhounds are easy peasy. Most of all, they're dogs, not mythical creatures.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I agree with going for a return, a foster, or a brood. A four year old off the track may need to be potty trained, learn stairs, learn about elevators and glass lobby doors. As Susan said, the dog you get may not be the dog you expect. Work with your group. Let them know all your concerns, and bring up any additional issues you find here. I take in returns, and seniors needing a home. I've had thirteen Greyhounds, and have taken in two at a time a few times. They are sooo easy. My four year old from the track still won't walk outside my driveway after being here a year. She is afraid of everything out in the world. Not a problem for me. I live in the woods with no neighbors, have a doggie door, fenced yard, and four other dogs to keep her company. She is sweet, and loves people, but she would not work for you at sll. You would both be miserable. She was in a foster home for a few days, and they found that she loves people and is fine with other dogs. The rest of the stuff I found out after she came here. Don't be swayed by cute pictures, or descriptions provided by the kennel staff. That dog may not be the same in a noisy city with no other dog in the house. You said you applied to several groups. Come of them probably fosters. Please ask about that. Good luck!

Yep, that's what I was thinking too, that fostering would be best. I'm just hoping the groups around here will be accepting of me and my lifestyle, and not just write me off b/c I'm single and work full time. I think I'm just paranoid b/c of past comments made to me -- I went to a adoption event not long ago with a friend, had no intention of adopting this particular breed, just went with her for fun and I do love any time I can spend with dog. Found myself in a conversation with one of the people from the agency and she outright said to me "we don't like adopting to single people, your lives are just too unstable. What happens if you get married and your husband doesn't like the dog?". Seriously. Anyways, I'm probably thinking too hard about it. Thanks for your reply!

Sorry, me and my pets are a package deal! What a yutz! :rolleyes: There are a LOT of single women on this board, many of us with multiple pets. And contrary to popular belief, pets can and do adjust to moving around, three of my cats have lived in three states after LONG moves, they adjusted just fine.

Johnny is great in elevators, his foster dad lived in a building with one. Ironically, my Lab who was a trained sniffer dog and guide dog flunkout HATED them. Go figure.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Guest PackMomma

A group can help, if you are willing to be patient I told my group I didn't care if I got a male or female and didnt care on coloring as long as I could find a dog that met my needs I was also in no rush and willing to wait for the right one to come along and we got Willow she has been a super easy transition. She is a great fit for our household!

OP, there is a large and vibrant greyhound community here in the DC area (I live in Maryland, work in DC). There's even a group of folks who meet at a dog park in Gaithersburg (I think) early on Sunday mornings to run the hounds, and there's a group that rents out the indoor ring at Frying Pan Park for dog running once a month. Go to Meet and Greets and talk to volunteers. Several of the groups around here foster (Greyhound Welfare and Greyt Expectations - I've adopted from both groups and volunteered with the former for many years). Just be up front with whatever group you decide to work with and let them help you find the right dog.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I disagree that a greyhound isn't a good choice for a first dog.

My dog experience, prior to adopting my first greyhound, was our mini poodle, whom my family got when I was about 5. So basically my personal 'experience', i.e., taking care of a dog, was zilch.

Our first greyhound was the PERFECT dog for us. She was fostered (thank you, queenwinniesmom!), and her foster family knew all about her. In fact they were an enormous help to us. We knew for sure that she was cat-friendly, since the foster family had cats. And, she was young--two years old. So it largely depends on the dog. If we'd have got a nervous dog, it wouldn't have been such a great experience....and we wouldn't be on greyhound #5 right now!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest LolaMe23

OP, there is a large and vibrant greyhound community here in the DC area (I live in Maryland, work in DC). There's even a group of folks who meet at a dog park in Gaithersburg (I think) early on Sunday mornings to run the hounds, and there's a group that rents out the indoor ring at Frying Pan Park for dog running once a month. Go to Meet and Greets and talk to volunteers. Several of the groups around here foster (Greyhound Welfare and Greyt Expectations - I've adopted from both groups and volunteered with the former for many years). Just be up front with whatever group you decide to work with and let them help you find the right dog.

Awesome! Thanks for that! It will be great to meet up with a group of grey owners, sounds like so much fun. Yep, I have an application in with Greyt Expectations now. I'm still in the "application review" stage and haven't actually spoken to anyone yet, just exchanged emails about a few clarifications. I found a M&G put on by a different organization tomorrow in Fairfax though so I'm going to that to hang out with some doggies! Very excited about that.

Loved reading everyone's responses, thanks all. I know I must sound completely neurotic to some of you that have had multiple dogs your whole life, ha! But I just want to make sure I'm not making a bad move. Of course I don't expect anything to be seamless or even "easy" but as many of you mentioned, I don't want misery for either of us either.

Loved reading everyone's responses, thanks all. I know I must sound completely neurotic to some of you that have had multiple dogs your whole life, ha! But I just want to make sure I'm not making a bad move. Of course I don't expect anything to be seamless or even "easy" but as many of you mentioned, I don't want misery for either of us either.

I had dogs as a kid but Sweep is my first dog as an adult (same for my husband). I was super neurotic and worried especially about how things would go with my two cats. My adoption group told me they love the people who ask a ton of questions and seem like "worriers" because it assures them the dogs will be well cared for. And, as luck would have it, we have had very few hiccups in four and a half years with Sweep. :) I hope things work out just as well for you!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest LolaMe23

Nothing about what you described would rule you out, but...

As a member of a super, super "doggy" family, I would have to say, personally, I think a greyhound is not a good choice for someone who has never had a dog before. Oh, sure, if you happen to get a perfect, easy hound, it would work out fine. But we see way too many posts here from people who thought they were prepared, and end up disappointed. Greyhounds are awesome, but a little...odd. You either learn to love their quirky nature, as most people on this board do, or you wonder why the dogs on TV and in the movies are so totally different from this slightly alien beast in your home!

I

Thanks GeorgeofNE! Quick question though...what breed of dog DO you think wld be a good choice for a first timer? Promise I'm not being snarky, I really do appreciate your response, that's why I came here to ask the questions! :)

But just curious what you'd think wld be a good first time dog. Over the years, I've contemplated different breeds, both big and small, full breeds and adorable shelter "mutts", seniors and puppies. And almost without fail, I hear the "don't think its a first time dog" comment. Ha, even a golden retriever, which I always thought was known to be the most doggy of dogs. "Oh, way too much energy for a first timer" I actually do agree with that a golden wldn't work for me though soooo, maybe not a good example, but you know what I mean.

I do think a dog is going to be a shake up in my life. It can't be avoided. No dog is going to fit in seamlessly into my daily life. Shoot, when I adopted my cat 10 years ago, he was the first pet I've ever had, and I was super nervous bringing him home, despite him being an adult. And yea...things did change (I used to not come home to my aprtment for days w/o blinking an eye), but for me, it was absolutely a positive change.

Anyways, I'm rambling...

Edited by LolaMe23

I don't agree about greyhounds being bad first time dogs. I was a cat person all my life before getting my first greyhound in my 40s. A greyhound is the only breed of dog I ever want! Plus when you get a greyhound you can become part of a huge, supportive, fun community, which you don't get with any other dog you might adopt. If you haven't had a dog you have to learn about having a dog whatever kind it is. (And FWIW my first greyhound was two years old and had never been fostered, although I will admit she was an exceptionally confident and stable dog.)

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

They're great first time dogs, they're laid back, calm, pretty disciplined and very sweet. They're dogs.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Our first greyhound was a bounce and he taught us the ropes. He was bounced due to his owner developing severe allergies. So Chip, our first grey,waltzed in to our lives and we never looked back. 20 years, 9 greyhounds and countless fosters later, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything else in the world