Side Effects Of Gabapentin

XTRAWLD

I've used it quite a bit with Kasey, but not so much with Ryder. Aside from it apparently causing sedateness....I laugh when vets say that for use in a greyhound.... anything else that can usually occur with it's use?

Ryder has been on it for a week now, 300mg twice a day, and he gets them with his meals. I've been noticing regurgitation, but only just started yesterday/today. Is it they type of med that Pepcid should be used with? I had Kasey on Pepcid because of his reflux, but have never given it to Ryder much so I wouldn't know if I should!

Thanks!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I wouldn't have thought gabapentin would need Pepcid, and I'd be worried that something else is causing problems since he's been on the gabapentin a week and trouble only started yesterday.

The only real warning I remember about gabapentin is that you don't stop it abruptly; it's something you need to step-down on to stop.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I wouldn't have thought gabapentin would need Pepcid, and I'd be worried that something else is causing problems since he's been on the gabapentin a week and trouble only started yesterday.

The only real warning I remember about gabapentin is that you don't stop it abruptly; it's something you need to step-down on to stop.

+1. Sweep had no side effects on it.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Do not give Pepcid at the same time as the gabapentin-it will reduce the efficiency of the gabapentin. Regurge is not a common side effect-sedation is but resolves once the body adjusts. One thing I noticed with my own dog while on gabapentin is weight gain.

Yah. ^^^^ If you feel the nee to give pepcid I would not give them together. Have you been giving the gaba after he eats? I just throw two of Toni's doses on her food, then the third dose she takes with a spoon of peanut butter. She's got an iron stomach but she's never had any upset with it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Pogo had no side effects with the gabapentin.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I throw it in with his food. It might just be a one off thing, he typically spits up water when he drinks a tonne of it at once, so I'm not too concerned yet, but am monitoring of course.

Thank you!

Proudly owned by:

Wendy was just prescribed gabapentin for arthritis pain. Do you give your dog the medication every day even if there is no obvious pain?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Wendy was just prescribed gabapentin for arthritis pain. Do you give your dog the medication every day even if there is no obvious pain?

I've only had to give gaba when there is a noticeable issue, and in both of my boys cases (LS and neck/limping) I've had to give it. I'm not sure why that would have been perscribed for arthritis though. I'd say to give it to her to see if her mood/actions change for the better.

Proudly owned by:

The only other side effect I've seen is unsteady footing/wobbliness (could be from dizziness) as they adjust to a new or increase in dosage. Never seen a dog have stomach issues from it.

Did you see my thread about meds I need to get rid of. I have a ton of 300 mg Gabapentin if you want me to send it to you. I could include that DAP collar that I never got around to sending that I feel really horrible about. :blush Though to be realistic it wont' go out until after Christmas.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The only other side effect I've seen is unsteady footing/wobbliness (could be from dizziness) as they adjust to a new or increase in dosage. Never seen a dog have stomach issues from it.

Did you see my thread about meds I need to get rid of. I have a ton of 300 mg Gabapentin if you want me to send it to you. I could include that DAP collar that I never got around to sending that I feel really horrible about. :blush Though to be realistic it wont' go out until after Christmas.

Thanks for the offer. I'm not sure if he will stay on 300 mg capsules after his check up in early Jan, so if someone takes dibs before that time, it's ok with me. Otherwise I'll let you know.

Proudly owned by:

Twiggy has a very sensitive stomach for the past 5 years since her iv chemo, but no issues with her tramadol or gabapentin. (she now gets 200 mg 3x/day of gaba, with no issues). Based on that, and others' experiences, I think it is unlikely that the gabapentin would be problematic.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I've only had to give gaba when there is a noticeable issue, and in both of my boys cases (LS and neck/limping) I've had to give it. I'm not sure why that would have been perscribed for arthritis though. I'd say to give it to her to see if her mood/actions change for the better.

Wendy can't take NSAIDS. We almost lost her to a gastric bleed after taking an NSAID a couple of years ago. We tried Tramadol and Robaxin when the limping started, but these did not help with pain and made her seem depressed/sedated. Gabapentin is prescribed for the pain of neuropathy and I've been prescribed it for Fibromyalgia pain. So far, she's doing very well. I'm going to call the vet to confirm that Wendy has to take the medication on a daily basis or as needed. Can't believe it didn't occur to to ask that question at the moment.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I wouldn't give Gabapentin as needed - dogs can experience side effects that will resolve over time - but if she's on a very low dose that may not matter. Your get is the best one to tell you.

Dogs can acclimate to the dose so if you do give it consistently you may find over time you need to use a higher dose, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's getting worse. Gabapentin has an almost infinite safety range so that's not really something I'd worry too much about.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I wouldn't give Gabapentin as needed - dogs can experience side effects that will resolve over time - but if she's on a very low dose that may not matter. Your get is the best one to tell you.

Dogs can acclimate to the dose so if you do give it consistently you may find over time you need to use a higher dose, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's getting worse. Gabapentin has an almost infinite safety range so that's not really something I'd worry too much about.

Thanks for your advise. The prescription is 100 mg every 12 to 24 hours. I've been giving it to her once a day, after dinner. I've left a voicemail for the vet and am waiting for a call back.

If you still have the Gabapentin and DAP collar available, I could use them for the Quints. Mamma Rio takes 300mg twice a day for a pinched nerve in her back (has been for over a year, along with Metacam and Tramadol), and Mr. Merlin uses a DAP collar and other meds for his anxiety. No worries if they have gone to someone else! :)

Rio aka El Rio (Dec. 4/07) - Home May 16, 2010
Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

Willy aka Starz Predator (Oct. 15/06) - home Aug. 29, 2010
and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012
missing Beagle-Chihuahua, Kasie Lynn (March 15/95-Sept. 13/10)

Thanks for your advise. The prescription is 100 mg every 12 to 24 hours. I've been giving it to her once a day, after dinner. I've left a voicemail for the vet and am waiting for a call back.

Gabapentin has a short half life. Giving once a day doesn't make much sense to me, but I'd give it in the AM so it's working when she's most active if you're going to do that. Why not just give it twice a day?

Gabapentin has a short half life. Giving once a day doesn't make much sense to me, but I'd give it in the AM so it's working when she's most active if you're going to do that. Why not just give it twice a day?

Wendy and "active" do not go together! The girl has always been a huge couch potato. Anyway, the vet called me back and said to give the medication only if she needs it for the time being after which we'll reevaluate if necessary.

Not seen any side effects either.

My vet put Pru on gabapentin (400mg twice daily) as she's had a course of cartrophen injections for arthritis & maker advise not to use NSAIDs alongside it as reduces effectiveness. She's doing OK on it so would this be better long term than metacam?

This Vet prefers metacam as can give lower dose & not keen on tramadol though throp had no problems on it although not sure if it made any difference to him but perhaps didn't need it.

Edited by moofie