Never Ignore A Panting Dog

Guest KarenD

Wow. So sorry you and your dog had this experience. But always best to go with your gut. I had no idea panting could be the symptom of something other than pain or keeping cool (newbie hound owner).

Thank you for the info.

Oh Batmom. Here's hoping all turns out OK. Please keep us posted.

I do remember years ago, our Gus didn't eat breakfast. Very unusual as he was a food hound. Of course it was Sunday, so off to the e-vet. Vet came in and said "he probably just has a touch of a stomach bug, but we will do a blood panel and have a look listen and see.

Blood work came back with his liver enzymes way out of whack. Repeated with near same results. He spent a couple days in treatment. Never doubt a gut feeling g.

Guest FordRacingRon

As someone I consider a mentor of sorts as far as greys,,your advice is always listened too. I sure hope they figure out what is wrong for you. If you don't know, it is scary.

Sending prayers

That is very scary. Positive thoughts for Star's full recovery without another incident.

Thank you for this important reminder!

Reminds me of one of our Greyhounds who was panting differently (from two other hounds in the car) after a cool, early morning muzzled Greyhounds only play date. Our then recently adopted 6 y.o. was panting much more heavily, more labored, more raspy, and for a much longer time than other hounds in the cold, air-conditioned car. Vet's dx was inconclusive. The following year a vet diagnosed her with laryngeal paralysis during a hot summer vet visit. We were very fortunate that we listened to our gut feelings and limited her running exercise during that first year before her official LP diagnosis. She could have collapsed from lack of oxygen, and/or hyperthermia while struggling to breathe.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and understanding. Baby girl was a little low for a couple days but was back to seeking out extra food last night -- lying under the people dinner table, in case something falls -- and is pretty perky this morning, knock on wood.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

glad to hear she's a little perkier (and looking for goodies!) this morning. Glad you are close enough to UW, they are great there :)

sending more hugs! :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Off to see the UW cardiologists today. All the disease/nutrient/hormone/etc tests done so far have come up negative.

Star is reasonably perky but not as energetic as normal; she has occasional episodes that stop right about the time I think I'd better take her for another ekg. Fortunately she is always hungry and readily gobbles her meds in a canned-food meatball or mini peanutbutter sandwich.

Fingers crossed the docs can find a cause to treat or at least help us fine-tune managing this over the long term.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Off to see the UW cardiologists today. All the disease/nutrient/hormone/etc tests done so far have come up negative.

Star is reasonably perky but not as energetic as normal; she has occasional episodes that stop right about the time I think I'd better take her for another ekg. Fortunately she is always hungry and readily gobbles her meds in a canned-food meatball or mini peanutbutter sandwich.

Fingers crossed the docs can find a cause to treat or at least help us fine-tune managing this over the long term.

Sending gentle hugs. The oncology and cardiac departments are great at the UW.

We will be out there tomorrow. Originally it was just for Pogo's monthly check up but now we need to find out why Pogo has too much air in his chest cavity. I spoke with his oncologist yesterday and there is a word for what he is experiencing but I sure can't remember it (too long and technical sounding).

You will be in our thoughts today.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Back with a good ekg tho still no "why did this happen?" We will reduce meds a little and see how she does, and recheck periodically to see if anything emerges. I am concerned about the lack of clues and answers but happy to have my girl at home and, so far as we know, out of danger. Star enjoyed meeting and greeting at the University but was happy to get home to her dinner :wub: .

I'm glad everything is back to normal and hope it stays that way. Something that occurred to me, I don't know if you or anyone else has thought about this, but do you think it is possible that she could have ingested a mushroom from your yard?

Mushroom: It's possible but not likely? Hadn't seen any, and she isn't much on eating yard things. But it is possible.

I agree absolutely with your advice. It isn't always obvious that a dog is in trouble, and I've had more than one dog go from "a little off" to very sick in short order.

I'm glad that you risked the costs and sniggers, and that Star has recovered. It would be easier if you knew why...

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest FordRacingRon

I agree and Batmom has always been sort of a mentor,,but I have a dog that almost never stops now. As she got older (she is 13 1/4 now) she got less heat tolerant and would pant when it got to 80. Now 70 is too hot. She panted when she was nervous. Well at 13 1/4 she still is nervous but more so, she still has no heat tolerance, and she has a weak rear end so I am sure that also leads to her panting because it hurts before the Rymadl takes over. So what do you do when you dog almost never stops? I just push forward. At least she doesn't pant while sleeping.