Hello From The Uk - Starting My Grey Journey!

Guest Bristolgal

Guest Bristolgal

Thought I would take the plunge and say "Hi".

We have just passed to Home Check stage with GRWE here in Somerset and I've joined the forum just to learn more about our chosen breed. At present we are probably looking at a young (1 or 2) year grey or possibly a lurcher x suluki pup, it will all depend on what suits us best.

Our current set up - Myself (housewife), my husband and IT consultant who works partially from home, a 6 year old girl and a dog mad 9 year old boy with Autism (very high functioning luckily). We also have a cocker spaniel bitch who is four and gets on well with other dogs in the family - although she does like to be top dog!

I've always loved sighthounds and wanted a rescue when the kids were smaller, but we erred on what we knew (lots of spaniel owning) and got a pup who is super with the kids. Now they are older and we are in a position to take a rescue I've finally got the chance to own a sighthound.

We seem to have a lot of greys in our neighbourhood and each and every one I've met has been friendly and fantastic with the kids - particularly my boy who HAS to pat every dog he sees!

We've got a nice garden (mostly lawn as I'm no gardener!) and secure fencing.

My main concern is recall as we do like to run our spaniel free and her recall is very good. I've been doing lots of research about training hounds for this so I'm hoping we can crack it, although I'm perfectly happy if our chosen hound is brilliant in every other way but can't be free run!

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on our journey - hoping the home check goes well and we can post possible new family additions soon!

:welcome2 from London. Good luck with your search and you will find this site a great resource for greyhound knowledge of all kinds.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Welcome from Germany. You might like to get a boy, because they mostly have no problem with being bossed by a lovely ladyhound.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I know Salukis as 'horizon dogs' - when let off lead they disappear over the horizon, one of the reasons I decided that a greyhound from the RGT might be a better option than a saluki lurcher (and most of them seem to be like that) when I started looking for another dog.

Welcome and good luck with your search and choice.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Welcome! I'm from Nottingham.

There's folk with saluki type & other lurchers on Lurcher link forum who let their dogs offlead so maybe they can give some advice . For both greys & lurchers finding a safe place to just train can be a challenge, sighthounds can cover the ground so much faster than most dogs so have to be bit more wary of any hazards that maybe relatively nearby.

Heard good things about GRWE so sure they'll help find the right hound for you.

i have a saluki lurcher, she always is looking where i am as she roams off the leash & comes back at a run if she thinks she's too far away, if a gate is left open, she will NOT go out thru it unless i am there with her. the other day i let her off the leash then noticed a **zu on a cheesewire flexi about 50 yds. away she was making a flat out run towards, one 'poppy, come here' she stopped, turned around and ran back to me. had it been an evil cat or pidgeon, it might have taken more tho. had a 99%greyhound 1% something else lurcher who would on occasion find a rabbit or fox to chase out of sight, once charging full blast thru a three strand barbed wire fence after a fox, i went thru the nearby gate and found him coming back to me thru the wood on the other side. anyway all dogs, even greys and lurchers are different, different personalities and bad habits. use common sense. i would never let her off lead near traffic, or unfenced areas, or even fenced ones where i could not see all the way 'round.

anyway, poppy, my saluki lurcher says Hi and welcome aboard.

HRH Poppy:

poppy25JUL15_01.jpg

p.s. - she came from 'lurcher SOS' in surrey. they get a lot of saluki lurchers, smooth and feathered, and the occasional pure saluki or grey from ireland, they're popular with travellers who abandon the ones they find surplus to requirements. other sight hound/scent hound mixes available too (and some 'honorary' lurchers, galgos, etc.).

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Welcome! It sounds like you're doing a good job preparing for whoever your new pack member will be. My Milo is a lurcher (probably).

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Bristolgal

10633983_10153806528755042_7443203682294

Well here he is! This is Cal (Caol Ila named after an Islay whisky - Hubby is Scottish!!). 8 Week old lurcher (Dad mostly greyhound and mum greyhound suluki and something else as she's quite chunky!!).

So far he's settled well - as you can see he's found the sofa pretty fast! And we're cracking on with house training. He spent his first day in the garden today as Storm Isobel finally passed us by!

I'd forgotten about puppy puddles - our spaniel is four years old now!!

Oh boy, are you in for some fun.

i've done 4 whippet puppies and by the end of the first week I looked exhausted! wouldn't have had it any other way!!

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.