My Boy Taylor

Taylor had his first of 4 weekly radiation treatments Tuesday afternoon.

We've already had 2 rides/walks today, and he's quite comfortable.

Chemo and a bone strengthening drug will start shortly.

001_zps864ca5d8.jpg

Edited by Beachbum1

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:goodluck

He looks like he's taking it all in stride.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Taylor had his first Zoledronate (bone strengthening drug) treatment Friday afternoon. A 20 minute IV, with no side effects.

That can be given every 3-4 weeks.

His second of 4 weekly radiation treatments will be Tuesday morning, and he will start Carboplatin (chemo) Wednesday morning.

Here he is, Friday after dinner......quite comfortable.

We've been out twice already today for rides and walks, including shopping in many stores in downtown Melbourne.

He's feeling fine.

003_zps77af9e30.jpg

Guest RICHandJUDE

My Santa got Osteo at age 8. Matter-of-fact, Santa's leg broke while the vet tech was x-raying him. We had his lungs x-rayed the same night and they were clean. We opted to have amputation and 6 chemo's. He had no problems. He managed to live with 3 legs and zero pain for another happy 29 months. We had to put him down from another problem but the cancer was gone.

My regular vet did the amputation. We then went to an oncologist which was about 1 1/2 hours from home, every 3 months for consultation and check-ups and x-rays. The oncologist sent the chemo to my local vet and my local vet administered it. The local vet said administering the chemo was not difficult at all. Maybe your local vet could administer it. It was a difficult decision to make. We did it because Santa had a strong constitution. I am so sorry and we will pray for you and Taylor. Good Luck in whatever you decide.

My Santa got Osteo at age 8. Matter-of-fact, Santa's leg broke while the vet tech was x-raying him. We had his lungs x-rayed the same night and they were clean. We opted to have amputation and 6 chemo's. He had no problems. He managed to live with 3 legs and zero pain for another happy 29 months. We had to put him down from another problem but the cancer was gone.

My regular vet did the amputation. We then went to an oncologist which was about 1 1/2 hours from home, every 3 months for consultation and check-ups and x-rays. The oncologist sent the chemo to my local vet and my local vet administered it. The local vet said administering the chemo was not difficult at all. Maybe your local vet could administer it. It was a difficult decision to make. We did it because Santa had a strong constitution. I am so sorry and we will pray for you and Taylor. Good Luck in whatever you decide.

So sorry about Santa.

Taylor's oncologist is only 20 minutes away, so treatment is very convenient.

#1 of 4 weekly radiation treatments was done a week ago Tuesday, and the second one was done yesterday.

The first treatment with the bone strengthening drug, Zoledronate was done last Friday.

The first chemo (Carboplatin) was done this afternoon. 10 minutes.

Taylor is eating and sleeping and peeing and pooping as he has the past 3 years.

No signs of any pain or discomfort.

The radiologist yesterday and the oncologist today said there is reduced soft tissue swelling in the area of the bone cancer in his right wrist, and that's only 1 week after his first radiation treatment. That's GOOD.

As you can see, he's quite comfortable.

That's after 4 rides today (bank, stores, vet......all with treats).

002_zps05d87f14.jpg

Just a little bit of nausea last evening around 11:00 PM (licking lips).

Gave him his daily dose of Cerenia, for nausea, at 11:30 PM and he seemed fine.

Slept from midnight till I got up around 6:30 AM.

Still having firm poops, but wasn't interested in more than a couple of bites of his breakfast.

But he still wanted to go for a ride!!! Face, too.

It was raining, so we drove along the beach for 10 minutes.

Gave him some ginger snaps at 9:00 AM......GULP.......then he ate around 3/4 of his breakfast.

Then it was an hour's nap for the both of them, and then Face woke up and started air-snapping and break-dancing and barking, and Taylor was up with a helicopter tail...............it was time for ANOTHER ride.

No lip licking today.

Just a "little" slower than his usual slow self.

I checked with his oncologist this morning and he also feels Taylor is doing well after yesterday's first chemo treatment, and to give him another dose of the Cerenia again late tonight. Can be given every 24 hours and it really works well.

Nap time, again.

That is great news! After Molly's one dose of chemo (we stopped after 1) she refused to eat for two days. Go Taylor :banana

He is hungry, but was a little "cautious" about eating too much.

But I bet I could lean his head back and pour in a bag of ginger snaps :D

Face is living dangerously.

Taylor is feeling fine after his first chemo on Wednesday afternoon.

I put some sheets down on the carpet, just in case he wasn't feeling well.
He's eating and sleeping and peeing and pooping and going out for 3-4 rides/walks a day.

We just came in from walking around the art district in Melbourne, FL.
They were setting up for a big street fair....lots of good smells.
72 and sunny with a nice ocean breeze.

http://eaugalliefoundersday.org/

002_zps551fa0dc.jpg

My boy Taylor is indeed a cancer fighting superhero (courtesy of Wetherby Collars).

He had his third of 4 weekly radiation treatments on Tuesday, and wants/needs/DEMANDS 2, 3, 4 rides/walks a day.

That's because we go places where they have COOKIES!!!

001_zps49d6a7e1.jpg