My Boy Taylor

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's time.

Taylor is scheduled to have his right front leg amputated a week from Friday, on April 10.

As long as his lungs are still OK, and one x-ray yesterday looked good.

They will do more x-rays the day of the surgery to make sure, otherwise we won't do the surgery.

It's been almost 3 months since the bone cancer diagnosis.

His care has been palliative, as suggested by his oncologist.

He had 4 weekly radiation treatments, which are for cancer and also pain, had been getting an IV of a bone strengthening drug every 3 weeks, and had his 3rd chemo yesterday.

He has been taking Piroxicam for inflammation, and Tramadol for pain.

Throughout this all, he has stayed a happy boy. Never seemed to be in any pain.

Eating and sleeping and peeing and pooping, and loving and DEMANDING rides in the Tuscon with Face, 2-3 times a day.

That would include short walks, and stops at stores for treats and hugs and kisses.

Almost 8 weeks ago, when in the back yard, he developed a hairline fracture in his radius in the area of the bone cancer.

He continued to be just as happy. Just walking/trotting/running easily on 3 legs.

Last Tuesday evening, he slipped and fell in the house. X-rays the next day showed the original break had indeed healed, but the fall caused a hairline fracture in the non weight bearing ulna. That would heal, too.

He hasn't used the leg in almost 8 weeks, other than to lightly put it down when standing.

He gets around fine without using it.

But it's time to remove the leg. That will remove any pain that he has been having, and remove the risk of a catastrophic, painful break.

And I won't have to worry, as much, about what is going on with him.

We knew the time would come.

He's a happy 88 pound boy. My baby for 3 years and 3 months. He was 6 years old in December.

I promised him the first night he came to me that I would love him, care for him, and keep him happy as long as possible.

That's the plan.

002_zpsu1mxmpt1.jpg

I"m sorry to hear he needs an amp, BUT I hope and pray he will continue to be a happy and healthy happy tripod boy for years to come!

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

I'm sorry but, it's the correct thing to do. If he hasn't been using that leg it's because it hurts. The positive spin on having to do the amp is he should recover pretty quickly now that he's basically been a tripod for awhile now. Give give your brave boy a hug from me. Please keep us posted.

I promised him the first night he came to me that I would love him, care for him, and keep him happy as long as possible.

That's the plan.

002_zpsu1mxmpt1.jpg

Many prayers for an uneventful surgery and recuperation.

Taylor knows that he has the best dad for him. We all know there is nothing you would not do for your boy.

Taylor,

Dr. Rocket prescribes lot's of ice cream and "cheezeburgers plane" to speed up your recovery.

He also prescribed a side of fries. Daily.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Taylor,

Dr. Rocket prescribes lot's of ice cream and "cheezeburgers plane" to speed up your recovery.

He also prescribed a side of fries. Daily.

ice cream.......not good for Face laying in the "danger zone"

001_zpsbonpz2qz.jpg

Good thoughts for Taylor. I hope the surgery goes smoothly.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Wishing your handsome boy an uncomplicated surgery and swift recovery. :hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thinking of you and Taylor today.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....