Oscar :(

oscarsmom

Had to take Oscar to the vet this morning. Last night he could not walk and was really unsteady on his feet. I called the vet and they suggested bringing him in this morning. Carried my 70pound boy in and they did blood work and x-rays and they could not find anything wrong and suggested that I take him to the vet hospital. So the hospital is keeping him for 48 hour observation. They think it is something neurological, either embolyism(?), brain cancer or tumor. They want to rule out the first one before they do a cat-scan or MRI since that is so expensive.

I don't know what to do. If it is cancer or tumor, I don't know how we will afford it. I just hope he is ok. My daughter is an absolute mess and did not want to leave him there.

I'm so sorry for you all.

He could have had lots of things happen that aren't such bad news - a stroke, or vestibular disease, for instance - and that many dogs recover from just fine.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Best thoughts for your boy and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:hope:candle:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest beetle_slayer

Our first grey was walking in the backyard and immediately dropped and lost all bowel/bladder control and was paralyzed from middle of her back down. We scooped her up and took her to the e-vet. Friday night, new house, new town, wife was 7 mos pregnant. We were completely unraveled. However, the e-vet was the best place for her to be though, but very expensive. Not to mention our A/C quit a few days later in middle July in TX. We took her back to the e-vet. I hope this can help you and your daughter be just a smidge comforted.

Her diagnosis was an embolism. FCE to be exact. the next morning she tried to stand. Within a day or two, she way standing and over a few weeks she regained ability to walk.

Cost is a MJOR factor. I understand completely. You should not feel guilty for not being able to afford major vet expenses. We all do the best we can. I have a cancer dog that I am doing the chemo and not the next treatment (palladia??). Amputation, x-rays, tests, chemo, drugs have taken a big chunk of money from my wallet. I understand about cost. And no matter how much I spend, it most likely won't change the end result.

I hope it is not cancer. My wife and I opted out of doing an MRI for our girl to see if there was anything else lurking. Why? Because MRIs are expensive and they don't "cure" anything.

I hope I am of some help. It seems to me, and I am completely unqualified to make any diagnosis, that if the x-rays and blood work were clear, that it isn't a tumor causing the inability to walk as something would have been at least suspicious on the x-ray.

I am praying for you, your family, and your dog.

Edited by beetle_slayer

Guest beetle_slayer

The FCE was sudden and scary. We has to teach her how to walk again for a few days and lesser over a few weeks. She never fully recovered but was about 90%. She bunny hopped as little and was slow to get up and down and lack rear leg coordination but lived a normal life for 5-6 yrs afterwards. I hope yours is better soon. It is scary when we don't know, and sometimes scary when we do know.

Good thoughts for Oscar and you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

The kids and I just went to visit Oscar. The vet said that this morning he stood up and walked a little. He is still very unsteady but it is a good sign that he stood and moved on his own. I got to give him his afternoon meal while we were there and he ate it all up. He did poop in his crate this morning and they have a catheter in him which I saw a half filled bag. So it looks promising. Thank you all so much for your support!! I was and still am one scared greyhound momma.

Awesome that he could get up and walk. Rooting for your boy!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That is good news! Continued good thoughts for your boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.