In Absolute Shock. Re-Intubated After Surgery

Guest DanTheMan

Guest DanTheMan

Dylan was diagnosed with laryngeal paralysis so I decided to go ahead with the laryngeal tie back surgery yesterday since the vet said he was in great shape. We saw him post op and he was starting to wake up, lifing up his head, responding to voices. I left him convinced I was going to bring him home today. I got a call at 7am from the vet that they had to re-intubate him at about 5am. I last got an update at 10pm that he was sitting up, had been out side to pee and was doing ok besides the fact he was somewhat anxious and panting. I guess he got more upset so they gave him some Ace and he calmed down and appeared relaxed. A few hours later he stood up and had a bloody bout of diarrhea. While cleaning him up the tech noticed he was warm and his temp was 107. They cooled him down but he went into respiratory distress and they had to re-intubate him. He has been unresponsive since. A chest xray showed his right lung had collapsed so they are guessing pneumonia and sepis or a clot. A CT scan of his head and lungs were clear. They consulted with Dr. Couto and he said give him 24 hours but everyone is shocked and cannot explain how or why this happened. I'm desperate for any suggestions and I feel so guilty for this. I decided to go ahead with the surgery to improve his quality of life but I can't keep picturing him here with me if I had decided to try meds first.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no! Poor Dylan - and poor you. :cry1:

It's no good second guessing yourself. You did what you thought was right, having taken the best advice you could. You wanted to improve his quality of life and we all know laryngeal paralysis is no picnic. Don't beat yourself up.

I so hope that he will come around and they can fix him up so he can come home again to you. Sending a ton of good thoughts for him. :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Keeping you and Dylan in my thoughts and prayers. :hope Please, please do not beat yourself up. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I wish a had some medical advice, but can only say how sorry I am that you and Dylan are going through this. I can't imagine how worried you must be for your boy. Please keep us up to date and let us know how he is doing. Sending out lots of prayers and good thoughts to you both.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest jetska

Don't beat yourself up about it. Easier said than done, I know, but you were doing what was best to improve his quality of life. It's a bit of a worry that the vets don't know why it happened though!

Sending all manners of good thoughts and prayer for your sweet Dylan :hope and a gentle hug for you.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I am sorry for what you are going through. You had all the best intentions to help your boy attain a better quality of life. I hope he can improve and come home to you. G-d bless.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Oh no... :( my prayers go out to your precious boy and many hugs to you. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm seeing this late, but please make sure they have Amicar on board. Even though greyhounds may test fine for clotting, they may still bleed. Amicar helps with that - tremendously.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Oh my gosh, I am so deeply sorry that Dylan is in critical condition. Relieved that Dr. Couto is on board as a consultant for him.

I'll send you a PM.

Here's a link to a Laryngeal Paralysis group for dog owners. It's all breed but includes Greyhound owners. Many members have posted about their tie-back experiences. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lp/info

My deepest heartfelt thoughts and prayers of strength and light are with Dylan (and you)...

Guest DanTheMan

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. Unfortunately Dylan went into cardiac arrest just before 5am and has passed away. I just can't believe it. I lost my other greyhound, Winnie only 3 months ago.

Guest OurGreytLife

My heart goes out to you and your loss. It's easy to say don't feel guilty but we all do regardless when we want the best for our fur kids and then it doesn't work out as we hoped. Always remember you're a great dog parent because your heart was in the right place - trying to give your Dylan a chance for a better life. I understand the heartache of a loss especially after you experienced it only a short time ago.

My heartfelt sympathy to you and your family. :f_pink

Denise