Just Arthritis Or ... Are We Looking At Osteo Again?

Good Morning everyone!

This is not exactly the post I was hoping to make 2 months after getting Keiva. But.. here's some background, and then, the xray.

Over the last few weeks Keiva has been licking and worrying at her back left foot (the one that has only two toes to begin with). She worried so much at it yesterday that I got her into our vet ASAP because it started bleeding. Obviously she's in pain and we needed to see what was going on as it wasn't anything superficial.

Got to the vet, and they did their poking and prodding. We agreed to the xray because we wanted to see what was going on. It was clear during exam that she was in pain in the little toe.

Xray comes back and you can see the arthritis. Then... the vet, gotta love them. Goes "You see this spot at the very end of her little toe? It's moth like in appearance, like there's a bunch of holes" My heart went to the floor. She proceeds to list other causes, including inflamming arthritis just showing up as it expands or whatever, I don't know, I had semi stopped listening. The she pauses, and I finish her sentence for her. "Or, it could be osteo" Yes. It could. But IS it? She didn't know for sure. Suggested a re-xray in a month. I asked for copies of the xray. This vet doesn't do digitial..so I could take the actual film, or wait. I decided to use my trusty cellphone and take a photo of the xray. If I need the film they will give it to me - I just go pick it up.

SO.... Thoughts of this xray? If you want a bigger view of this image click here ... We're not looking at the missing toes, we're focused on the toe on the left looking at this image. The other toe has started creating xtra bone which is rubbing against the small toe. They say probably from arthritis setting it there too.

Is it too early of an image to get a consult? Or am I worrying over just arthritis? You guys have always been the support when I went through this with her brother..and we were fully aware that osteo may or may not visit us with her (but really osteo is so fickle about who it chooses to yank from us and when)
81955ad0-0130-4b5e-b46d-1652aa4d936a_zps

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

That toe does look nasty. I would get a consult done with Dr. Coutu just for piece of mind.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Me too. I just paid the consult fee and sent him the xray and back story. Crossing my fingers so hard that its just arthritis or something silly.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)

:hope :hope :hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Dr Couto is da bomb! So responsive!!!

Latest update:

It is not likely to be osteo. The tumor that looks more like that is a squamous cell carcinoma, but osteomyelytis (infection) is also likely. It is also possible that the loss of bone in that toe is because she is not all that weight-bearing.

Because of this he is requesting a fine needle aspiration. He has given us a referral if we need.

Small jump for joy? Lol

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Small jump for joy? Definitely! :goodluck

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:goodluck Please keep us updated!

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

So pleased you got a consult with Dr C. I would have been very worried about the appearance of that bone and would have wanted a referral for sure.

I'm also very pleased that he does NOT think it's osteosarcoma. Clearly something is bothering her, but hopefully, it's something you can manage or improve for her. :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

That is great news! I hope you can find a solution for your girl.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Update - we are taking her to our vet on Thursday at 5:30 for her fine needle aspiration so we can get those results and see if it's just bone loss, or something else. She has been in great spirits playing with Hattie (Moonbeam doesn't quite know what to do with Keiva :lol) and the arthritis is getting manageable. Here's to a continued good news path. I will keep you updated. Dr Couto is indeed amazing, can't say enough good things about how knowledgeable he is, and responsive!

Sending lots of good thoughts for a good outcome. Keep us posted.

I was going to suggest osteomyelitis. Neyla had that in what I referred to as her "wonky toe" and we managed it with pain meds although I was on the fence about amputating the toe at one point. Hope the FNA results confirm something relatively benign. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

And we wait some more. Should have results by Monday. IF we got enough to read. They had to try a couple times. So tired of waiting. And then will send the results and notes to dr couto. I am hoping so hard for good news.

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)