I Have A Hard Decision To Make About My Ig Flex..support Needed.

Flex's vision is nearly completely gone. He is deaf. The last couple of days, he seems to be struggling more..having great difficulty getting around the house. His stress level has increased greatly. He was not able to take a walk Saturday with me...I carried him home. Going outside on the deck(no longer goes on the grass) for potty breaks are harder . He is having accidents all over the house, pretty sure he simply can't tell the difference between his wee wee pad and the area rugs. His life is do different now..and I don't know if he is happy anymore. He still loves laying by the fire place and eats well. He lays next to me and cuddles...but not like he used to.

I am(sadly) thinking it is time to let him go....I don't know how I am going to be able to do this...I love this dog so much...but I need to do what is best for him...my sons will be here for Thanksgiving and we will discuss it. My husband thinks it is time...I am heartbroken.

Edited by dbullwinkel

I am so sorry, you are having to make this decision. I don't have an answer for you, but I feel for you. I had to make a decision like this at 17yrs old with a dog I had had since I was 5, I picked her out at the local humane society. She was my first dog ever and I was an only child, so she was my best friend all through childhood. I ended up having to let her go. My mom offered to go to the vet with me, but I said no, this was my responsibility. It was the longest 20 minute drive of my life. I just feel you will "know" when the time is right. She let me know. We sat outside on the porch and I cried and talked to her and she let me know. I know this isn't probably what you wanted hear but whatever you decide will NOT be the wrong choice. :bighug

I'm so sorry. Only you can make this decision. He likes to eat? Does he seem like he is sad?

My Shelby is fecal incontinent...BUT....she loves to eat, loves her walks (as much as she can do).

How do you mean he doesn't cuddle "like he used to"?

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

I had to let my whippet go at 15.5. His spirit wasn't ready, but his body completely failed him. He had most of his vision, his hearing was almost completely gone, he had early dementia, had a difficult time getting back up when his hind end gave out, was up and down all night and needed to go out at least twice (he slept with me and I carried him up and down the stairs, and was the pickiest eater - I had a buffet for him every meal. However, he was still happy. I was lucky enough to be able to take him to work with me during his last week when I knew he was really deteriorating. However, when he lost his dignity and could no longer stand long enough to pee, I made the decision for him. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. He was not ready to leave, but his body refused to carry on. I lost him on the sedative - before the "pink stuff." I did what was best for him - it certainly wasn't what I wanted. What is best for Flex can only be determined by those who know and love him.

So, I truly understand where you are. Have you discussed his health situation with your vet? Mine was helpful in trying to figure out how to navigate those waters. I had lost beloved pets before, but never just to "old age." I hope that your family can help you figure out what is best for Flex. None of us here can do that for you.

Growing old is not for the feint of heart. Wishing you peace.

Hugs, Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

for some reason i too have always been hit w/ those difficult decision at holiday times. willie wonka was blind and deaf and had dementia, i couldn't let him go until a good friend who is a vet & my adoption rep. said, "it was time, he's a very very frightened dog- all the time. he's living a nightmare," she knew him very well. he rallied once before my decision to lead him to a more peaceful situation, but that was it.his litter was a christmas litter too boot- he made it to his birthday. emily's osteo became unbearable of course new year's eve and no pain meds were working, velcro rapidly declined- the addison's and kidney disease was getting the best of him christmas eve.

a big hug is what you need at this time of realization, :bighug. you have had wonderful days/years and it's most difficult to let.

now i know why i really hate holidays, i just spelled it out ! spoil him rotten w/ tukey and treats this thanksgiving.

He is "distant" I have been sleeping downstairs with him..usually on his bed..worry about him getting up at night. At times he is very sad...and stressed and confused ..then other times he seems happy and wags his tail. Losing two senses has been very hard on him...

This makes me think he may also be dealing with the beginnings of dementia.

Thank you all...I will speak with my vet Saturday..she knows him very well. We have to be out most of the du tomorrow. ( I would rather NOT). But have to. My neighbor will come and feed the dogs. Hopefully flex will be ok..I do t really care if he pees poops in the house..as long as he is safe. This little guy has been through SO much..I do t want him to lose his dignity. He is my heart dog..I have dogs all my life..losing them has always been hard...but this is so different for me..thank you again.

:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:bighug

BTDT too many times and it never gets easier.

My motto is 'Better a day too early, than a minute too late".

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

At times the most loving decision we can make is the most painful decision...thinking of you during this difficult time.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm sorry to read about your boy. There is a time when we all have to make a very hard decision and it does sound like age is catching up your little boy. You are the one that knows him best and will make the best decision for him. I do know that it is very hard to make a decision like this when they are old and do enjoy some things in life still but it's hard to gauge just how much they enjoy them. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

No advice, just hugs for you and your little guy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you all. Flex now has what i think is an abscessed tooth. He had one about a month ago. he was given clavamaox and flagyl. this morning he cried when i touched his mouth. I called the vet and they put him back on the same meds. By the time i got home, his snout was swollen. Vet closed until monday morning. i am assuming it is from the infection in his teeth/gums. He does seem a bit stuffy..like he is trying to blow his nose. i hope the meds help. I will let my vet know about the swelling tommorow.