First Incident

Yeah, we were on a nice walk tonight with the hounds, and in a second, Sidney's foot slipped in a damn storm grate. He quickly pulled it out, and in doing so, ripped the skin open on his shin.

We didn't know anything was wrong at first since he's such a trooper and didn't make a peep. A few minutes later I noticed he was holding his leg funny when we stopped. That's when I saw just sagging skin and exposed tendons! Yuck!

We immediately called the vet and told them to expect us. He walked the rest of the way home fine... Didn't even limp! We were prepared to carry him or run and get the car, but it wasn't necessary.

We were in the vet within 1/2 hour after it happened. We are very lucky to not only have a fantastic vet clinic that is also a 24 hour emergency clinic, BUT! Many of the vets seem to be very informed about greyhounds. One of our favorite vets took care of Sidney tonight and told us how he grew up with a greyhound as the family pet and it was the greyhound who made him want to become a vet. He said his hound was very protective of him and was his best friend... It was a really cute story.

Anyway, Sidney is fine... No tendon damage. A few stitches later, and he was good to go. The vet told us how good he was... He just let them stitch him up!

When we left the exam room we walked into the waiting area which was actually pretty full. Everyone kept telling us how beautiful our dogs were! Oh yeah, we brought June along for moral support..... Of her! Lol

Sidney is home and doing well. One week of antibiotics and stitches will come out shortly after.

image_zpse3a0887b.jpg

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

As usual, when they're actually injured, not a peep. When they step on an acorn, bloodcurdling screams. :lol Get well soon, Sidney! What a brave boy. Sounds like it went as smoothly as something like this can go!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

June was more upset when they took him in the back to be stitched up!

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Hope she recovers quickly too! ;)

Lol thx... I will tell her you are pulling for her ;)

They are both curled up on their beds and doing well. Fortunately It was a clean cut that was able to be stitched up very neatly. Kind of gross seeing the tendons and muscles directly.

I am just super glad it was a cut and that he didn't break anything.

WHEW!!!!!

June needed lots of reassurance to keep her from whining while Sidney was being fixed up. She was really nervous. I think we made a good decision bringing June, I think she would have cried the entire time we were at the vet.

Thanks for all the well wishes

This morning and his bandage is still intact. I was worried he was going to be chewing at it overnite!

:getwell

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Muzzle with duct tape over the bottom will keep him from getting at the bandage. And make sure to keep everything dry. He'll probably be sorer today than yesterday so stay ahead of the pain.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We have 2 meds that he gets twice a day.

He is so easy to give meds to.

If he starts bugging it, we will muzzle him. I did not even think about that. Thats an excellent suggestion and sure beats the big neck collar

Muzzle with duct tape over the bottom will keep him from getting at the bandage. And make sure to keep everything dry. He'll probably be sorer today than yesterday so stay ahead of the pain.

Oh good call! If he gets chewing at it, we will muzzle-up!

He did seem a little sore this morning. We have a anti-inflamatory/pain pill we are giving 2x a day.

Glad your pup is O.K. I was wondering what part of PA you are from? I live in the poconos and am looking for a new Vet and was wondering if your vet is nearby.

We live in West Chester... so we are far from you. However, we have friends up in Bear Creek... we could find out who they go to. They don't have greys, but they are some of the best furry parents we know! So if they trust their vet, you will too!

As usual, when they're actually injured, not a peep. When they step on an acorn, bloodcurdling screams. :lol Get well soon, Sidney! What a brave boy. Sounds like it went as smoothly as something like this can go!

Ain't that the truth!!! George started limping two weeks ago and I am immediately thinking, "Osteo and he fractured his leg!!!" He had the "cap" of an acorn stuck on one of his paw pads. You'd have thought he stepped in a bear trap!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

2 greyhoundMINI,Just looked up bear creek- it is not too far from me, I'm in Effort.It would be great if you could ask them who they go to. Thanks!

Absolutely!

The husband is emailing them as I type :)

Sent you a PM....

Well, day 2 and Sidney is doing awesome... too awesome.

We are trying to discourage him from running around when we let them out!

He hasn't tried to chew his bandage at all. Such a good boy.

At least act like you are injured!!!!!!!