Newly Adopted Shy Dog Won't Get Up Off Bed

Guest DMBFiredancer

Guest DMBFiredancer

We adopted our first grey yesterday around noon. Grace is a shy dog, definitely not a spook, but shy. She has warmed up to me a bit - will take treats from my hand, yesterday's dinner from my hand, allows me to pet her, but won't actively come to me (I fully expected that.)
She willingly went on two walks yesterday and got up from her bed when I put her leash on to go out to the backyard a few times. For some reason, last night and this morning she has not wanted to move from her bed to go outside, even after I put the leash on.
She just seems sad (which I expected, too....I know there is a period of adjustment for them.)

If she wants to hang on her bed for awhile to get used to us, that is totally fine. The bed is in the living room so she is around us all.

My only worry is....doesn't she need to get out to relieve herself? She did drink quite a bit after her walks yesterday and ate most of her dinner...she hasn't pooped yet, but she did pee in the yard (which I did a happy dance for, of course.)

Her behavior seems right to me for what I've read about shy dogs, but Grace honey.....ya gotta pee and poop for me!

Any suggestions or am I just worrying too much?

** I added some more shy questions I am having somewhere on page 2....thank you everyone for your support during these first few days of learning about having a shy dog...this is my first grey and I am a very patient person...just want to make sure I am doing my best with certain situations **

Edited by DMBFiredancer

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She will go eventually. She may not be used to going on a leash. This is pretty common.

If you can safely do so, connect a couple leashes together to give her more room away from you. Let her go behind a bush or any way you can give her a little distance. With frequent trips out, she will go when she has to. It can take a couple days when they first come home to get into a routine - you'll be shocked at how long they can hold it when they put their minds to it.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Yeah, she needs to go. I'd clip leash on, turn AWAY from the dog (don't face her), cheerful "Let's go!" and begin marching off.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hopefully Grace has gone by now.

Just to let you know how long they can hold it- Our Galgo Lucas came with us from Europe. He did not pee for over 24 hours and did not poop for 36 hours! We were worried especially since the last leg of our trip was a 9 hour plane ride. He was fine after that though!

Good luck with your new addition!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest DMBFiredancer

I needed to hear this: "you'll be shocked at how long they can hold it when they put their minds to it."

That's the part that had me worried....as long as its ok for her to hold it until she's ready I won't push it.

She's used to being on a leash for walks....she was fine with leashes with her foster but I just remembered.....they had a doggy door....I do not use mine. She isn't used to associating going out to the bathroom with leashes! A-ha!

Good thing is, we DO technically have a doggy door, but its closed because of the cat....so hopefully when she has to go badly enough she will go towards that door with the fake dog door and I can let her out.

PS I got her off the dog bed for a few steps...amazing what a treat will do ;)

Treat on bed first, treat next to bed next, treat a few inches away, treat 1 foot away, treat 2 feet away....there's hope! :)

I know this is only really her first full day here and I know I will need to be patient and back off a lot....give her space and time....ignore her....the ignoring her is the hard part! All I want to do is shower her with LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Any other shy greyhound advice please bring it on....

I've read a few threads (hard to search because "shy" is too short of a word for this forum to search..."shyness" worked but I didn't get many hits)

I also read "Shy Greyhounds Steal Your Heart"

Thank you so much, my friends! :)

You will have to be the leader with who she will get her strength from to overcome her shyness. When out for walks take EVERY opportunity to introduce her to people, sounds, things. Just don't over stimulate her all at once. Ryder was a shy boy, actually still is after 3 years of having him, but he's overcome this with leaps and bounds. It really does take time and a little work. ;)

Kasey is a tanker and can hold it for 14 hours - I HATE when he does this, but he really can hold his quite a bit. Ryder never had a great bladder and never had a sign to tell us he had to go either. But he's gotten much better over the years and can make it over night without issue now. Last out for us is 9:30pm (unless they have had a lot to drink before bedtime) and first out is 6:30am. There is hope!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

When Nixon first arrived here he would not get off his bed at 'last potty' either.

We had to actually pick up the bed up and tip him off, then use treats to get him to go outside...even though our two other dogs were already in and out ... He just didn't 'get it'.

He was fine during the day...went happily in and out. It was just that 10 pm outing!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest grey_dreams

What kind of floor do you have? The way you described her behavior, it sounded as if maybe it might be because of the floor. Many dogs can't walk well on laminate or on any kind of slippery floor.

Guest DMBFiredancer

What kind of floor do you have? The way you described her behavior, it sounded as if maybe it might be because of the floor. Many dogs can't walk well on laminate or on any kind of slippery floor.

She's been totally fine on the floors so far....hardwood in living room, tile in kitchen.....I can hear her walking around now down there!

As for the shyness, the best advice I can give is to be patient and try not to let your frustration show. There will be things that are more difficult in the beginning, and you might think to yourself, "I just wanted a normal dog!!" But trust me, it's a million times worth it in the end. Working through these issues and quirks will be the thing that bonds you together. I'm a little biased because my heart dog, Henry, started off extremely shy. He would cower, pant, shake, sometimes completely freak out at the slightest indiscretion. We had to work on hardwood floors, stairs, crate anxiety, statuing, getting into the car, the vet, other people, other dogs, cats, sharing space, loud noises. Then once he got 100% comfortable with our home and our daily routine, we started tackling more challenging things. Pet stores, obedience classes, hiking, dog parks, the groomers, the city, crowds of people, going on vacation. Sometimes we'd take three steps forward, only to take two steps back. He'd sometimes growl or snap at me, and that broke my heart. But I never gave up on him. And he never gave up on me! I made a ton of mistakes as a first-timer, and we just kept moving forward. Eventually, I learned his signals, and I became good at knowing just how far to push his comfort zone. Now, our relationship is so solid and trusting, he'd probably walk on hot coals if I asked him to. He'll probably always have certain quirks- for example, children still really freak him out. He tolerates my cats well, but he's never going to cuddle with them. But overall, I can't tell you how rewarding it was watching him learn to trust and come out of his shell, and I could know, "I made that happen." I still get a little choked up thinking about it. That first year with him was really just the best experience ever.

I should mention that my other dog, Truman, is the "social butterfly." I've raised him from 15-weeks-old, and except for minor stuff, he's been fearless the entire time. I love Truman just as much, but the dynamic of our relationship is completely different. He's my funny, goofy, crazy boy, and he's got a great personality too... but I know he doesn't quite need me like Henry does. With Henry, we can communicate on a much deeper level. It's difficult to explain, but I think that's why I'll always gravitate to shy dogs in the future.

I really hope you enjoy the "shy dog" experience as much as I did. Here's the biggest things to remember. Take it slow, don't push her to do too much, too soon. Give her a lot of patience and space. Hand-feed. Don't overdo it with eye contact or confrontational body language. Talk to her A LOT. Be the "giver of all things good." Allow each other to make mistakes. Don't pity her or coddle her. Don't assume that just because she's shy, she's been abused. And even if you realize she may always have certain issues or quirks, accept her for the progress she does make. The dog you have a year from now will be totally different from the one you brought home. :)

Pretty much what she said ^ My first grey was shy and timid. She was returned from her first home because she wouldn't potty on leash, and they didn't have fenced back yard. The key is patience, especially in the beginning. She will come around once she settles in. You will be surprised, looking back, how quickly. (even though may seem like forever at the time :) )

Guest DMBFiredancer

Yeah, she needs to go. I'd clip leash on, turn AWAY from the dog (don't face her), cheerful "Let's go!" and begin marching off.

THIS worked like a charm....thank you!!!!!!

My mistake was I was facing her and trying to coax her....I'm learning so much just in one day!

Right now I am forcing myself to stay away from her...allowing her to explore on her own. I am upstairs with baby gate at top of stairs to prevent Bela (cat) from going down. She finally ate all of her breakfast once I completely left her sight. And...she even creeped up to the top of the stairs to peek at me, then went back down. Yesterday she refused to get a tour of her upstairs. Progress. :)

Edited by DMBFiredancer

Guest DMBFiredancer

I really hope you enjoy the "shy dog" experience as much as I did. Here's the biggest things to remember. Take it slow, don't push her to do too much, too soon. Give her a lot of patience and space. Hand-feed. Don't overdo it with eye contact or confrontational body language. Talk to her A LOT. Be the "giver of all things good." Allow each other to make mistakes. Don't pity her or coddle her. Don't assume that just because she's shy, she's been abused. And even if you realize she may always have certain issues or quirks, accept her for the progress she does make. The dog you have a year from now will be totally different from the one you brought home. :)

Thank you for your experiences! Reading your post made me smile! I am a 1st grade teacher, so I LOVE the progress I see from the beginning of the school year until the end with my students. I love those moments where things just "click" with the kids and I have those "I made that happen!" moments. I look forward to them with Grace, too. I can't thank everyone enough on these forums for all the support. It helps me tremendously!! :beatheart

Our first greyhound once held it for THREE DAYS during a horrible rain storm. She hated going out and getting wet. Once the rain stopped she pee's for about 5 minutes.

Shy greyhounds often don't want to be watched while they do things. She knows you're there, and will gradually become more accustomed to having a person in her space. If you want to teach her something that will help her, and she can be persuaded to participate, a "watch me" command will really help her confidence level. Looking directly at another dog (or person) is a very confident behavior. So teaching her the command and showing her that looking at you will bring her a yummy treat will help.

>Yummy treat touches her nose and immediately moves up toward your face. "WATCH ME!"

>As soon as her eyes follow it, say "YES!" and give her the treat

>Extend the distance until you move the treat from her nose to your nose with her watching the treat. Repeat, repeat, repeat

>When she follows the treat well, wait to give it to her until you see her glance into your eyes "Watch me!" treat

>Hopefully she will then begin looking you in the eyes on the command

This is also good if she gets distracted or anxious when out walking. If you can anticipate her reaction, you can give her a command to focus her on something other than what's making her anxious.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest DMBFiredancer

Didn't quite work the next time :( She laid on her bed with the leash on and refused to even pick up her head. I hope this wasn't bad, but I picked her up (even though she felt like she was doing the "dead weight" trick.) I praised her every step of the way....when she stood up, when she took one step off bed, when she took one step forward, etc.

She was very hesitant to go outside for a walk, but once she got out she was ok for a bit. It seems like she just cant wait to get back home. As soon as we get to our house, she goes right up the driveway as if she is saying,"THANK GOD!" even though I try to fake her out and go past our house.

Please let me know if I should not be picking her up like that. I just don't want her to get TOO used to laying on the dog bed ALLLLLLL the time.

Thank you in advance!!!!!

I would be cautious about picking her up -- if she objects, your face is awfully close to her face ........

Does she need to go for walks to go potty? If not, I wouldn't take her until she WANTS to go. She's taking everything in right now, and her little brain is likely very full :lol:wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DMBFiredancer

I would be cautious about picking her up -- if she objects, your face is awfully close to her face ........

Does she need to go for walks to go potty? If not, I wouldn't take her until she WANTS to go. She's taking everything in right now, and her little brain is likely very full :lol:wub: .

She needs to get out to go potty...at least to the backyard. We don't use dog door because of cat...man, I wish we could just use that dog door!!

how long have you lived there? have you seen the cat use the doggie door?

my cat watched my german shepherd use the doggie door for 3 yrs before he decided to use it. Once he did, I put the cat in his room during the day, so the dog could use the door freely. When I got home from work, I would lock the doggie door and let the cat out in the rest of the house. When the dog needed to go out, I would open the glass slider for him. Weekends were spent like weeknights, and I would let him in and out as many times as he wanted. Anytime I left, cat went in his own room with food, water, and litter box. Could you do something like this so the dog could use the door as it's meant to?

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

I have had one who was good for 12 hours when not very active. But I prefer to get them out 3 times a day if possible -- after breakfast, after supper, last call at night.

I'd stick with my original advice :lol . Before you put the leash on, you could drop a piece of cheddar cheese or similar (something REALLY good and smelly) a couple feet away. Lure and reward all in one.

Be sure she gets a "Good girl!" and reward every time she does get up and come with you, when she walks on the leash with you, when she steps out into the yard, etc.

Guest BlueCrab

Trixie didn't poo for three days after she came home. She wasn't shy or anything...but we did have snow on the ground, although her foster had the same snow. She ended up pooping while at a run in an indoor horse arena that our adoption group had. I'd never celebrated having a dog poop. But she's now one of those who would much rather lay on our bed than get up and go out. She can hold it way longer than I think is practical. Or healthy.

I saw that you mentioned you had a baby gate at the top of the steps, and that she came up, peeked thru and then went back down. Please make sure she has sufficient room at the top to turn around. You don't want her making a tight turn-around on the top step and falling down the steps...aside from possible injuries, it might traumatize her from going up the steps and add an additional problem where you don't need one. Who's "Bela" who's behind the gate? Or did I miss that....

Guest DMBFiredancer

Please make sure she has sufficient room at the top to turn around. You don't want her making a tight turn-around on the top step and falling down the steps...aside from possible injuries, it might traumatize her from going up the steps and add an additional problem where you don't need one. Who's "Bela" who's behind the gate? Or did I miss that....

At the top, there seems to be enough room for her to turn around...there are only 4 stairs there until a small landing for the next flight all the way down. Bela is my cat...sorry! I am not ever sure I made that clear! I was so used to the other thread I had about cat stuff!!!

Guest DMBFiredancer

She will go eventually. She may not be used to going on a leash. This is pretty common.

If you can safely do so, connect a couple leashes together to give her more room away from you. Let her go behind a bush or any way you can give her a little distance. With frequent trips out, she will go when she has to. It can take a couple days when they first come home to get into a routine - you'll be shocked at how long they can hold it when they put their minds to it.

But, I can't get her to get off the dog bed :( Once she's outside in the yard, she is not afraid to pee if she has to go badly enough. She's just like a stone statue on her dog bed...won't budge when I put the leash on. :( So, that's my problem...getting her off the bed....

Even with leash on, I can't get her past this....head stays down and all....

7d079975-2dff-4946-a756-3373035652b4_zps

I was thinking of attaching the leash to the dog bed and just dragging the whole thing out soon! :hehe

Edited by DMBFiredancer

It's a tough call at this point. You can keep forcing the issue - keeping her on a strict potty schedule - or you can let her lay until she's ready to go out.

Here are a couple more of my two cents: Has she had an accident in the house since you got her home? If not, I would speculate that she's been there long enough to know she's supposed to go outside, and she just doesn't want/need to go. As someone above stated, her little head is likely very full right now, and she needs some processing down time. Keep an eye on her and when she gets up on her own, or if she's up after mealtimes, take her out. She's not going to pee laying down on her bed. You don't have to *make* her go. She's an adult dog who already knows how to go to the bathroom successfully, not a puppy that you have to remind, or take out every two hours.

On the strict schedule side of things, it *can* be beneficial for very shy dogs to have a strictly followed daily schedule - up at the same time, food at the same time, pottees and walkees at the same time, dinner and last out at the same time - every day. They just do better with a set schedule. However, she hasn't been with you long enough to have that established yet. If you can "persuade" her to get up with you, either with really super yummy treats or a squeaky toy, it will be better than lifting her up. That's her signal she's had too much right now.

Is she sleeping in the bedroom with you? If not, she probably should be. That way you can attach a leash to her and feel if she gets up and needs to go out.

FWIW, my four (even the puppy) go out when we get up, mid-morning, mid afternoon, after dinner, and last out around 9pm. Only 5 times a day. (Some homes the dogs don't even go out that much.) They don't all do anything at all those times. Sometimes they just sniff around, sometimes they play, some times they sunbath or dig. Each individual dog may only pee/poop twice or three times a day.

RELAX! She's also likely feeling your stress about pottying and reacting to it. Once you stop caring, she'll likely pee up a storm! :rolleyes:

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Have you tried using very smelly, high reward foods? Not dog treats, but things like roasted chicken or steak? If she is really under stress, she likely won't react to food, but if she does, it can distract her and turn the situation into a positive one. Also, if the situation is right, I am a big fan of using other dogs to help with nervousness. I have seen several nervous dogs get up happily to follow another dog, and after this "breaking of the ice" they are totally fine in their environment. If you have any friends with good "role model" dogs you could try that. If not, I do what Batman suggested...stick the leash on and go. Sometimes the more you leave it, or the more time and negotiation it takes, the worse it becomes. Try to be calm yourself, if she can sense you are anxious, she will be too. Good luck! :)