Newly Adopted Shy Dog Won't Get Up Off Bed

Guest DMBFiredancer

Guest DMBFiredancer

Oh, I took someone's advice and started a blog.

I am catching up on writing from the beginning so there isn't much there yet.

Once I get going, a lot of it will be writing from this thread, so it will be pretty boring at times for you guys who have been following Gracie's progress.....but once I get on a roll, I will write exclusively in that blog and you guys can follow if you want. No sense in clogging up greytalk's bandwidth with all my daily updates! (although I am sure it makes no difference,really)

Ok, here's the link....

Feel free to comment as we go along....or give suggestions PLEASE! I'll take ANY advice!

Remember, this is my first greyhound.

And first dog I've owned in over 20 years.

I WILL make mistakes. I WILL need help. :) You guys are awesome for all the help/support you've given. I seriously could NOT be seeing this much progress without the wealth of information I read in other people's posts in the past!

Oh, duh...the link....

Gracie's Blog

Please let me know if anything doesn't work there (comments, email, etc....) Thanks!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand about being nervous with Bella, I was with my first greyhound & cats. Keeping the muzzle on for a while longer is a good idea, but I think she will be fine. Bella's attitude has helped a lot, not being afraid of the dog. Someday you may be one of the lucky ones, posting a picture of Grace and Bella sharing a bed :)

Guest DMBFiredancer

Do you think the cat would jump a gate 41" high that divides upstairs and downstairs? If I could trust her enough NOT to jump that, I could leave Gracie's muzzle off at night and just let Bela have the run upstairs....hmmm......

I don't want to lure you into a false sense of security (because it is possible she may become more curious when she gets more settled). But, from everything you described, it sounds like Grace is going to be one of the cat-oblivious greyhounds. My Henry is the same way. I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but we never muzzled him except for the initial introduction. It's good to be careful for awhile, but she can probably spend less time muzzled since she's proving she's trustworthy.

Oh, I took someone's advice and started a blog.

I am catching up on writing from the beginning so there isn't much there yet.

Once I get going, a lot of it will be writing from this thread, so it will be pretty boring at times for you guys who have been following Gracie's progress.....but once I get on a roll, I will write exclusively in that blog and you guys can follow if you want. No sense in clogging up greytalk's bandwidth with all my daily updates! (although I am sure it makes no difference,really)

Ok, here's the link....

Feel free to comment as we go along....or give suggestions PLEASE! I'll take ANY advice!

Remember, this is my first greyhound.

And first dog I've owned in over 20 years.

I WILL make mistakes. I WILL need help. :) You guys are awesome for all the help/support you've given. I seriously could NOT be seeing this much progress without the wealth of information I read in other people's posts in the past!

Oh, duh...the link....

Gracie's Blog

Please let me know if anything doesn't work there (comments, email, etc....) Thanks!

So happy you started one! I've book marked and will follow you daily! Great job on it so far.

Guest DMBFiredancer

I don't want to lure you into a false sense of security (because it is possible she may become more curious when she gets more settled). But, from everything you described, it sounds like Grace is going to be one of the cat-oblivious greyhounds. My Henry is the same way. I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but we never muzzled him except for the initial introduction. It's good to be careful for awhile, but she can probably spend less time muzzled since she's proving she's trustworthy.

This made me so hopeful and happy...thanks! I hope it all works out!!!!

I understand about being nervous with Bella, I was with my first greyhound & cats. Keeping the muzzle on for a while longer is a good idea, but I think she will be fine. Bella's attitude has helped a lot, not being afraid of the dog. Someday you may be one of the lucky ones, posting a picture of Grace and Bella sharing a bed :)

I'd be shocked, but i sure hope so! That's been my DREAM! :beatheart

Same with my husband...he keeps hoping! He loves his Béla, too and he wants her to be happy!

----------------------

Ok, took someone's advice...got a stuffie. I coudn't bring myself to get her anything that had a face (yeah, I'm weird like that) so I found a stuffed bone.

She hasn't thrown it around (yet!!) but....look how precious......

IMG_7610_zps8e787617.jpg

Awwwwwwwww........

She brought it to her bed.

What a love bug.

Edited by DMBFiredancer

That is sweet! I think Bella could jump the baby gate if she wanted to ( she's a cat, right :) ) but probably wouldn't if she is used to staying with you.

Forgot to add, even with my paranoia about the cats, I never muzzled my dogs, even the first one, after the first day. I just separated them when I was gone and at night in the beginning.

This made me so hopeful and happy...thanks! I hope it all works out!!!! I'd be shocked, but i sure hope so! That's been my DREAM! :beatheartSame with my husband...he keeps hoping! He loves his Béla, too and he wants her to be happy! ----------------------Ok, took someone's advice...got a stuffie. I coudn't bring myself to get her anything that had a face (yeah, I'm weird like that) so I found a stuffed bone.She hasn't thrown it around (yet!!) but....look how precious...... IMG_7610_zps8e787617.jpg Awwwwwwwww........ She brought it to her bed.What a love bug.

Now doesnt that make you oh so happy that you got her her own stuffie. Just precious! So happy she got one.

Guest DMBFiredancer

I am finally caught up with the blog until yesterday (I think!)

I will update from now on from there only...please feel free to comment there! I've LOVED sharing her progress!

Will add more today :)

Thank you all AGAIN for your support and help...you guys are all AWESOME! :beatheart

Debbie , I would start a new thread and let people know about the blog! It's awesome and I'm sure people here would enjoy following it. I'm just not to sure how many people will be aware of it with it only spoken about in this thread! Just my 2 cents. Lol

Guest DMBFiredancer

Debbie , I would start a new thread and let people know about the blog! It's awesome and I'm sure people here would enjoy following it. I'm just not to sure how many people will be aware of it with it only spoken about in this thread! Just my 2 cents. Lol

Good idea....I'll do that :)

Guest DMBFiredancer

She *still* is having trouble with getting up off that bed to go for walks.

I want her to go for at least 2 walks a day - 3 will be the normal, but I'm trying hard not to push that much on her now.

Now, I'm trying for morning and evening.

She gets anxious when i put the leash on and just wants to stay on her bed. I've been tugging her to get up come while saying "Let's go" and praising her every step of the way.

Am I doing something wrong? Is the tugging bad? I mean I feel HORRIBLE doing it, but I am trying to be in control and not coddle her and think, "Oh, its ok if you don't want to go for a walk....go ahead and just lay there"

Have you tried getting her up by just grabbing her collar? Maybe if she doesn't see the leash until she is up on her feet it will be easier.

I would be struggling if I had to keep picking her up as well. I'm sure you are using your no nonsense approach.

Guest DMBFiredancer

Have you tried getting her up by just grabbing her collar? Maybe if she doesn't see the leash until she is up on her feet it will be easier.

I would be struggling if I had to keep picking her up as well. I'm sure you are using your no nonsense approach.

Usually that's how I can get her up just to get her out to the yard for potty breaks (no leash.) Maybe I can do that and then put the leas on when we are close to the door....great idea!

Usually that's how I can get her up just to get her out to the yard for potty breaks (no leash.) Maybe I can do that and then put the leas on when we are close to the door....great idea!

I sure would try it, if your doing that now for potty breaks she may go for it. Yup leash at door, I agree!