Newly Adopted Shy Dog Won't Get Up Off Bed

Guest DMBFiredancer

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:wub: One palm leaf at a time .....

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, the ziploc bag of water on the small palm's planter is not some ancient voodoo ritual or anything...just trying to keep the flies away. We read that putting a few pennies in a ziploc bag of water keeps them away. I'll keep you posted. Worked in one area of the yard so far...unless they just flew away for another reason.

It does work! I have one hung by my poop bucket and no more flies! Yaaaa

Guest DMBFiredancer

Well, well, well....someone is deciding to come out of her little shell today quite a BIT!!!!

She slept by herself downstairs without a whimper (she had opportunity to sleep with us upstairs, but she still refused to walk up.)

When I got up, she got up off her bed and walked with me over to the back door to go out (progress again....I didn't have to lift her up to get her to go outside.)

She loves morning for playtime!

IMG_7580_zps4ec10e9f.jpg

Progress with breakfast, too! I did the same thing as yesterday - put her food down and refused to leave the kitchen. She needs to get used to me being in there while she is eating. Today it took MUCH LESS time for her to come in and eat. She ate it ALL in one standing AND she didn't scurry away when I raised my coffee cup to take a sip. Yesterday any movement at all from me had her scurrying back to her bed. I also made sure to move my legs around a bit...nothing crazy, just small movement...and she stayed! WOW!

Then....I went upstairs.

Guess.

What.

Happened!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_7585_zps874a185c.jpg

Yep! This is UPSTARIS!!!!!!!!!! This is taken with me sitting at my computer in the office. She seemed quite comfy walking around and exploring - much more comfortable than I would have expected for her first time up. She peeked in every room and even walked into the bedroom. I think she was confused seeing her same bed up there "Wait...wait....how did THAT get up here?!!!"

Little stinker snatched one of the stuffed animals off the bench so fast I barely saw it coming. She got a 'NO" and she trotted downstairs, only to come back up 2 minutes later :)

My husband is going to put up shelves for the stuffed animals. We are giving in because we can't have her doing that to any of them. Perhaps it is possible to train her to stay away from them, but after seeing how FAST she snagged the animal off the bench, it might be in the stuffies' best interests to get them up high.

MAYBE I will buy her something stuffed to play with....maybe.

I am torn on that still (I know it is very stubborn of me....)

One of the things we mentioned when we adopted her was that we would like a dog that was not interested in stuffed animals. I know some don't care for them.

Grace does, and that is ok. We just have to figure out how to make her happy while keeping our stuffies safe. YES, they are THAT important to us.

Looking forward to more progress and adventures today! I am thrilled with how this day is starting!!!!! :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana <---LOVE this guy!

Guest ShanYu

So great to read of the progress you are making together! Why don't you get her a stuffy of her own? My boy understands what is his toy and what isn't. Once she settles in she may not be interested in stuffies at all. Nike stole ornaments from the xmas tree and placed them in his bed, collected socks and boots etc. After a few months he lost his klepto tendencies and only played with his own toys ( occasionally).

Guest DMBFiredancer

I love it! Now that she's used to your presence, try hand-feeding her meals (if she'll allow it). Great exercise in bonding.

I hand fed her the first few days and she was ok with it (or just REALLY hungry!)

Should I still keep doing it occasionally?

So great to read of the progress you are making together! Why don't you get her a stuffy of her own? My boy understands what is his toy and what isn't. Once she settles in she may not be interested in stuffies at all. Nike stole ornaments from the xmas tree and placed them in his bed, collected socks and boots etc. After a few months he lost his klepto tendencies and only played with his own toys ( occasionally).

How cute! I am thinking about it after seeing how excited she was when she captured the stuffie. I also need to remember that she is still a puppy - 18 months old.

Before adopting my husband and I decided we were NOT going to buy any stuffies for the dog, as a way to keep our own safe. Now, we are rethinking that. :)

I hand fed her the first few days and she was ok with it (or just REALLY hungry!)

Should I still keep doing it occasionally?

How cute! I am thinking about it after seeing how excited she was when she captured the stuffie. I also need to remember that she is still a puppy - 18 months old.

Before adopting my husband and I decided we were NOT going to buy any stuffies for the dog, as a way to keep our own safe. Now, we are rethinking that. :)

Awww, come on! Shelf the important ones and get this girl a stuffy riteawayquick! :gh_bow

And yeah, I'd definitely continue with the handfeeding. It doesn't have to be every meal, but every now and again is a nice exercise in bonding.

Keep all her toys in one place - like a basket or box - she can easily learn those are HERS and the ones on your bed are not. Though she still might try and take them. Greyhounds seem to have a "If I can see it, it's mine!" sort of attitude!

You're both doing fantastic! Time and patience. Always.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest DMBFiredancer

Awww, come on! Shelf the important ones and get this girl a stuffy riteawayquick! :gh_bow

And yeah, I'd definitely continue with the handfeeding. It doesn't have to be every meal, but every now and again is a nice exercise in bonding.

I'm giving in today! Put the bench of stuffies in the cat's safe room, and the 2 most important ones I transferred from our bed to the bed in the cat's room. Darling hubby is going to put shelves up :)

Guest DMBFiredancer

Keep all her toys in one place - like a basket or box - she can easily learn those are HERS and the ones on your bed are not. Though she still might try and take them. Greyhounds seem to have a "If I can see it, it's mine!" sort of attitude!

You're both doing fantastic! Time and patience. Always.

Ooh...great idea. Thank you!

I know...time and patience.

I forgot to tell you guys....my husband and I went out last night for 3 hours to go to a Shakespeare play at the park. I was a NERVOUS WRECK at first, but relaxed luckily once the show started. We had an extra tall baby gate at top of stairs to keep cat up (full run of upstairs) and then Gracie was muzzled with full run of downstairs.

Came home to both animals intact, no pee, no poop, no destruction...and as far as I can tell from neighbors, no barking. I PRAY this continues.

I am purposely trying to leave today again for awhile...she can't get used to me being home all the time. August will be here soon enough and I'll be back at work.

She is really coming out of her shell! I didn't realize she was so young, definitely still a puppy :) I understand about wanting to protect your stuff, putting it in the cat's room is a good idea (as long as Bella leaves them alone!), but you will enjoy watching her play with her stuffies so much :beatheart

Guest DMBFiredancer

She is really coming out of her shell! I didn't realize she was so young, definitely still a puppy :) I understand about wanting to protect your stuff, putting it in the cat's room is a good idea (as long as Bella leaves them alone!), but you will enjoy watching her play with her stuffies so much :beatheart

Luckily Bela is totally fine with the stuffies. Phhhew.

Guest DMBFiredancer

Any advice on when I should try to get her to go on a car ride?

Foster mom said she was ok in her van and would jump right up when she said "Up!" I have a civic, so that will be different.

I don't want to overwhelm her too soon, but I do not want to baby her too much either....

I don't even know where I'd go :rofl<---love this guy, too. I just giggled a little to myself watching him.

Maybe the local pet store at a time I know it won't be too busy...muzzled, right?

Maybe the local pet store at a time I know it won't be too busy...muzzled, right?

No muzzle. Having her muzzled in the presence of other, unmuzzled dogs will make her at a higher vulnerability to them. It may also put her on edge. The only time you'll ever really use a muzzle outside of the house is if she has a playdate with other greys (where every other dog is also muzzled). I'd start really slow, like a drive around the neighborhood. Pet stores have a lot of sights, sounds, and smells, so I'd reserve that for when she's a little more adjusted.

My shy , spooky girl loves to get in the car, but at first she would not always love to get OUT of the car once we got somewhere. It was a sight at times. She was definitely afraid of the parking lot/ entrance/ door/ people of a pet store. We would go somewhere and then just come home...

Now, no worries about that but there are still times she does not like what is going on where we have gone and that is that, home we go.

Patience and LOVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by nessa

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

So excited she did the stairs! I bet another day or two and she will be coming up there to sleep at night! She wanted you and that's why she came up those stairs. I agree with the above as to just start out taking her for a small ride. Get in the car at home and back out at home.

She truly is flourishing with you!

Guest DMBFiredancer

It's Big Bad Rustling Leaves therapy session again. Talk about skittish today out here! The leaves, the planes above, the neighbors bringing their garbage cans in, me making any sudden moves....oh Gracie. If I had a dollar for every time she looked up at the sky fearfully....I'd be rich! So I continue to expose her and have patience...talk to her in a loving voice...try to soothe her worried mind....reward what I *think* are calm reactions to noises...avoid eye contact as much as possible....and play on my iPad.

The rest of the day was me trying to give her space. As much as I want to spend time with her, I know I need to ignore her and let her come out of her shell at her own pace.

I had an "Oh sh*t!" moment where I realized that my schedule in August when I go back to work will be very different than it is now. So, I am trying to leave the house more while keeping her meals/walk/bathroom schedule routine. An hour on the treadmill in the garage, shower, then 2.5 hours treating myself to lunch and walking around the outdoor shops. She was fine when I got home...still laying on her safe bed. Sometimes I wish I had a camera on her to see if she explores when I leave!

I plan on trying to increase the amount of time I am gone so that it isn't a shock to her come August. Luckily I love mornings and still get up early even though I have off, so I am not worried about morning routine or evening routine since they will be the same.

Ok, back to chit- chatting with Gracie about how brave she will be one day!

Guest DMBFiredancer

image-5.jpg

Apparently this was a comfy spot for her for a bit while dealing with all the scary noises. Weirdo.

BUT....in all this madness with the noises....we DID have a little breakthrough as far as me petting her!

I've been sitting here, avoiding eye contact. I decided to put my arm out everytime she passed and just lightly brush her side with my hand as she passed. Well, three times now she STOPPED and let me keep petting her back and side. As much as I wanted to look at her, I kept my eyes averted. Praise praise praise...treats treats treats....

One time when she passed me she even licked the back of my arm! Hey, I'll take it! :)

Guest DMBFiredancer

Good morning friends :)

Oh, the progress!

She is definitely letting me pet her more and more...especially outside. Avoiding eye contact seems to be the key in helping her feel more comfortable with my touch.

Last night I was able to get her off her bed by coaxing her with some treats. Whatever it takes! Sometimes I faked her out by having my hand out with no treat and I just pet her. She accepted scratches behind her ear (is this what I see people referring to as "ear scritches?") without scurrying away. More progress!

She LOVED the Love Glove on her back outside this morning. Of course I let her get used to seeing first it on my hand for a bit then I let her sniff it so she wasn't freaked out by it.

This morning, breakfast went even better than yesterday! She came right over when I put her bowl down (last night I hand-fed her) AND she stayed there while I did my thing in the kitchen - opening the refrigerator, pouring coffee, walking.....things that would have made her scurry away any other day! WOOO!!!

Then...like yesterday....look who followed me upstairs.....

IMG_7604_zps569385db.jpg

Is that MY BED in there????

IMG_7607_zpse5f62ca6.jpg

Looks like a good place for a snooze!!!!

She definitely is staying up here longer!

We went downstairs for a bathroom break, then she came back up again.

I've been a bit nervous though because her muzzle isn't on. Aaaah!

Bela is under the bed, near Gracie's bed, but out of sight thanks to the comforter hanging over and blocking her. The whole cat/dog thing will have me nervous for awhile, even though Gracie shows no interest. My fear is that since she is coming out of her shell for other things, will she come out of her shell with Bela too and try to get her?

I can't trust yet.

Muzzle = back on.

Still hanging in the hallway...peeking into our bedroom looking at that bed of hers, but won't go in.....ah, these wonderful baby steps! :)

Edited by DMBFiredancer