Newly Adopted Shy Dog Won't Get Up Off Bed

Guest DMBFiredancer

My foster has been here about thirty hours and he hasn't pooped. I am trying not to stress as Chris said. He goes out and pees, but doesn't want to poop. It will happen.....

Enjoy your first greyhound....those shy ones often turn out to be the ones who bond the most....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we first got Jerzi she would only pee 2 times a day. My other pups pee pretty much every time I take them out. So of course I was thinking why isn't this dog peeing. Than I thought about it and truly they are used to holding it if they are only getting let out twice a day at the track.

She is not a shy dog but still does not pee as much as my others, they are not greys. So instead of trying to get her to pee I just let it be and said she will pee when she needs to. I do not need to train her to pee every time we go out. As long as she is used to holding it I was fine with it. She now goes 3 times a day and that's it. She's not had any mistakes in the house and does drink a pretty good amount of water durning the day.

I don't know how often you are trying to take her out, but I agree with others she will get up when she needs to go. It has only been 24 hours, she has probably gone through a lot in the las t few days and is exhausted. Our girl traveled for two days from Florida to Syracuse before we got her and she slept hard very hard the first few days.

It will all work out! Patience is the best cure, I have found this to be so true with our first grey!

Guest DMBFiredancer

She hasn't had any accidents in the house thankfully. :)

I was able to get her to go outside this afternoon by leaving the back door open and going out of sight upstairs. I watched from the upstairs window until I saw her finally go out there. I let her spend some time alone there for a bit, then I joined her to talk to her calmly because she was afraid of the rustling of the palm trees and the look/sound of the big birds of paradise leaves blowing/hanging over the fence from the neighbor's yard. She laid in a "safe corner." The unfamiliarity of the sounds might be part of the problem, but I'm not sure.

After awhile she pooped and peed, and got lots of praise!

I could not get her to go for a walk on a leash outside of the yard. Yesterday she willingly went on a walk. She just stood there with the leash on and wouldn't move even after I tried to coax her with treats. I didn't want to push it, so I just let it go for now.

Thank you everyone for your great advice. I'm trying to remember that this truly is her first FULL day with me....poor baby has a lot going on in her head. I need to remember that. And I am practicing relaxing. :)

Guest DMBFiredancer

PROGRESS today!!! This morning she got up ON HER OWN and was still skittish when I came downstairs and entered the room (like she wanted to run back to her 'safe spot bed.")

I praised her like crazy for being UP and slowly coaxed her towards the door using her collar as a guide...once we got to the door she seemed happy, like "Oh, yeah...THIS is where I need to go"

I let her out and she PLAYED with her ball and bone! HUGE STEP! (I can try to post a video...still figuring that out.)

Then she peed, got lots of praise, and POOPED and got lots of praise. She approached me to accept treats from my hand, which I see as an accomplishment as well.

I did not try to push the issue of taking her for a walk outside the yard this morning because I was so proud of this progress, I didnt want to add more stress tat that moment. I will try a walk in about an hour or so to see how she does. I am trying to get her to associate walks with fun. Adoption rep suggested jogging with her. Well, I am far from a jogger...can last about 2 minutes before I am out of breath (sad, but true) but my husband is a runner so I will try to get him to jog with her a bit.

She gets scared a little on walks when I can actually get her to go, like she is unsure where to go and how far to go....she will get to a certain point and say," Um....mom....can we go back please?'

Good thing is, she knows EXACTLY which house is ours and walks right up driveway when we approach it.

I feel a lot better today after seeing some positive progress.

She slept well last night with me on the couch and her on her dog bed, but I can't keep sleeping on the couch. Bela the cat slept in her favorite spot on the top of the couch. Grace didn't seem phased by her at all Bela just watches her, no puff tail, no posturing. She's been curious of Grace, which is incredible to me. I truly expected to still have a cat under a bed at this point. Grace is muzzled everytime Bela is in the room btw. My husband is always saying "oh, they're fine together....taker her poor muzzle off..." - I needed to school him on just how long that muzzle action is going to be happening in this house no matter what! SAFETY first!

Any suggestions on getting Grace upstairs to sleep in our bedroom? We had the one incident yesterday where she creeped up the stairs on her own and went back down....I don't want to force/carry her up to go to sleep, but I need her to learn that Mommy doesn't like to sleep on the couch!

Thank you!!!! I am so grateful for you guys and your responses! :)

PROGRESS today!!! This morning she got up ON HER OWN and was still skittish when I came downstairs and entered the room (like she wanted to run back to her 'safe spot bed.")

I praised her like crazy for being UP and slowly coaxed her towards the door using her collar as a guide...once we got to the door she seemed happy, like "Oh, yeah...THIS is where I need to go"

I let her out and she PLAYED with her ball and bone! HUGE STEP! (I can try to post a video...still figuring that out.)

Then she peed, got lots of praise, and POOPED and got lots of praise. She approached me to accept treats from my hand, which I see as an accomplishment as well.

I did not try to push the issue of taking her for a walk outside the yard this morning because I was so proud of this progress, I didnt want to add more stress tat that moment. I will try a walk in about an hour or so to see how she does. I am trying to get her to associate walks with fun. Adoption rep suggested jogging with her. Well, I am far from a jogger...can last about 2 minutes before I am out of breath (sad, but true) but my husband is a runner so I will try to get him to jog with her a bit.

She gets scared a little on walks when I can actually get her to go, like she is unsure where to go and how far to go....she will get to a certain point and say," Um....mom....can we go back please?'

Good thing is, she knows EXACTLY which house is ours and walks right up driveway when we approach it.

I feel a lot better today after seeing some positive progress.

She slept well last night with me on the couch and her on her dog bed, but I can't keep sleeping on the couch. Bela the cat slept in her favorite spot on the top of the couch. Grace didn't seem phased by her at all Bela just watches her, no puff tail, no posturing. She's been curious of Grace, which is incredible to me. I truly expected to still have a cat under a bed at this point. Grace is muzzled everytime Bela is in the room btw. My husband is always saying "oh, they're fine together....taker her poor muzzle off..." - I needed to school him on just how long that muzzle action is going to be happening in this house no matter what! SAFETY first!

Any suggestions on getting Grace upstairs to sleep in our bedroom? We had the one incident yesterday where she creeped up the stairs on her own and went back down....I don't want to force/carry her up to go to sleep, but I need her to learn that Mommy doesn't like to sleep on the couch!

Thank you!!!! I am so grateful for you guys and your responses! :)

Wow, what excellent progress Gracie is making. I think each day tou will see a little more progress with her. She will get it. Was she in a foster home for a bit before you got her? So happy for you both. Can you just go up to your room at night and leave her? You may be surprised that after your missing a bit she may come up looking for you. Never know but I would try it, only because I do not sleep well at all on the couch either.it may take a couple nights of this but I bet she will get it.

Guest DMBFiredancer

Wow, what excellent progress Gracie is making. I think each day tou will see a little more progress with her. She will get it. Was she in a foster home for a bit before you got her? So happy for you both. Can you just go up to your room at night and leave her? You may be surprised that after your missing a bit she may come up looking for you. Never know but I would try it, only because I do not sleep well at all on the couch either.it may take a couple nights of this but I bet she will get it.

Thank you!! I have felt so proud today just seeing this little bit.....THEN my husband and I BOTH took her for a walk and she was a ROCKSTAR!!!!!!!! We were able to get her out of her comfort zone a little and walk for about TWENTY minutes! My husband even jogged with her a bit and she seemed to LOVE that! (Man, what motivation to get started on practicing jogging instead of just walking on the treadmill for me!) She did not get freaked out by any people, small dogs, big dogs, or loud construction trucks on one street.....success!

To address your questions...she was in a foster home for a bit, but they gave her back to the adoption group because they said she wouldn't come out of the bedroom at all. The adoption group's president took Grace and helped her quite a bit with a combination of space, patience, love, and a little bit of tough-love, too! Finding that combination is the tricky part for me, but I am learning!

When I talked to her today about the sleeping question, she suggested the same thing you did...just go upstairs and sleep in my own bed. I have the same exact dog bed up here for her when she is ready. She said that if she whines, let her whine or I will reinforce whining as an acceptable way to get me back downstairs. Eventually she will get the hint that we are all up there. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. :) Thanks SO SO much again for the support! I feel a lot better today about things!

Guest DMBFiredancer

Today is day 2 for us (not counting Sunday when she came here)....she was with foster family for a bit, then with the head of the adoption group for a few weeks. Trying my best to be a good mom for her!

Today is day 2 for us (not counting Sunday when she came here)....she was with foster family for a bit, then with the head of the adoption group for a few weeks. Trying my best to be a good mom for her!

No my dear. You ARE being a good mom for her.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest DMBFiredancer

No my dear. You ARE being a good mom for her.

Thank you :heart

Today we worked on the yard...the strange noises that seem to bother her. This morning she was loving the yard - running around, playing, throwing the ball, playing with a bone....the afternoon seemed to be the problem.

I finally figured it out....she is terrified of the big bad birds of paradise leaves that apparently look/sound like monsters when they rustle in the afternoon wind with the palm tree next to them:

IMG_7517_zps5921056a.jpg

So, thanks to the adoption rep's suggestion, I sat outside with her. I brought her bed out so she could relate the scary sounds of outside to things she loves (that bed!) I placed the bed near the door in a spot where she can see the big leaves and still be kind of close to where I'd be sitting. She was super skittish at first...laying in the far corner where she laid yesterday in fear on the ground looking up at the scary monsters:

IMG_7522_zps9d9a5561.jpg

Then she finally came over and laid on her bed (praise praise treats treats!)

I did my best to ignore her and just let her get used to it all...then I started to use calming phrases like, "It's ok...it's just the wind" and talk to her about what was going on. I even felt like a crazy lady telling her stories such as how I used to be afraid of spiders and now I trap and release them. The neighbors must think I am nuts!

Each time I saw her react in a calmer way when the leaves would rustle louder I gave her treats and praise. Sometimes she'd freak, get up, walk around all nervous, walk to that far corner....then come back to the bed (praise praise treat treat.)

I did this for about an hour and will do it again tomorrow. If anyone has other suggestions let me know.

Then we went for a 20 min walk!!! She would get skittish and want to turn around when she heard large palms rustling in the wind overhead, but calm words, a little tug, and "Let's Go" got her back on track each time. *I* also felt more confident on this walk. I think that made a HUGE difference. I went with the attitude of "I am in charge. We are walking where I want to go." Of course, while still watching her signs to make sure she could handle it. It is definitely a delicate balance of wanting to be motherly...and wanting to be in charge and show leadership. Just like in a classroom, I suppose. Like I said before (perhaps in another thread) I find that I've been using my first grade teaching strategies a lot with Grace the last few days. Hopefully her successes continue!

Thank you :heart

Today we worked on the yard...the strange noises that seem to bother her. This morning she was loving the yard - running around, playing, throwing the ball, playing with a bone....the afternoon seemed to be the problem.

I finally figured it out....she is terrified of the big bad birds of paradise leaves that apparently look/sound like monsters when they rustle in the afternoon wind with the palm tree next to them:

IMG_7517_zps5921056a.jpg

So, thanks to the adoption rep's suggestion, I sat outside with her. I brought her bed out so she could relate the scary sounds of outside to things she loves (that bed!) I placed the bed near the door in a spot where she can see the big leaves and still be kind of close to where I'd be sitting. She was super skittish at first...laying in the far corner where she laid yesterday in fear on the ground looking up at the scary monsters:

IMG_7522_zps9d9a5561.jpg

Then she finally came over and laid on her bed (praise praise treats treats!)

I did my best to ignore her and just let her get used to it all...then I started to use calming phrases like, "It's ok...it's just the wind" and talk to her about what was going on. I even felt like a crazy lady telling her stories such as how I used to be afraid of spiders and now I trap and release them. The neighbors must think I am nuts!

Each time I saw her react in a calmer way when the leaves would rustle louder I gave her treats and praise. Sometimes she'd freak, get up, walk around all nervous, walk to that far corner....then come back to the bed (praise praise treat treat.)

I did this for about an hour and will do it again tomorrow. If anyone has other suggestions let me know.

Then we went for a 20 min walk!!! She would get skittish and want to turn around when she heard large palms rustling in the wind overhead, but calm words, a little tug, and "Let's Go" got her back on track each time. *I* also felt more confident on this walk. I think that made a HUGE difference. I went with the attitude of "I am in charge. We are walking where I want to go." Of course, while still watching her signs to make sure she could handle it. It is definitely a delicate balance of wanting to be motherly...and wanting to be in charge and show leadership. Just like in a classroom, I suppose. Like I said before (perhaps in another thread) I find that I've been using my first grade teaching strategies a lot with Grace the last few days. Hopefully her successes continue!

I also had to learn to have that confident attitude with Jerzi. She did not know how to the the stairs when she came home. The first day I was lacking that attitude. The second day I had it and it did make a huge difference with her as well. I do believe they feed off of us. Definitely have to have a no nonsense attitude with some of them I think.

It sounds like you are doing an awesome job with her. Like I said I am a newbie myself so I don't know to much other than some of the things I am experiencing myself! Way to go GRACE.

Please keep us posted, I love hearing about progress!

I'm really enjoying your posts. You should write a blog! It sounds like you are making excellent progress in such a short amount of time. And great job talking to Gracie, telling her stories, etc. I also did that with Henry and thought it was really helpful. Talk, sing, whatever you have to do!

Guest DMBFiredancer

I also had to learn to have that confident attitude with Jerzi. She did not know how to the the stairs when she came home. The first day I was lacking that attitude. The second day I had it and it did make a huge difference with her as well. I do believe they feed off of us. Definitely have to have a no nonsense attitude with some of them I think.

It sounds like you are doing an awesome job with her. Like I said I am a newbie myself so I don't know to much other than some of the things I am experiencing myself! Way to go GRACE.

Please keep us posted, I love hearing about progress!

How is Jerzi doing? I've been thinking about you guys! I need to find your thread again.

Stairs are not a problem going up over here (I caught her sneaking up to peek!) but the problem is I just can't get her to come UP with me...even on leash! How did you get Jerzi up? Grace freezes stone statue at the bottom. No treats or kind words do the trick for that so I let it go after trying since I don't want to overwhelm her with things I want her to do every day. I've been sleeping downstairs on the couch to be with her, but not tonight! I am going up to my bed, where she has the same exact bed in my room. My rep said if she whines, let her whine. Oh, how I hope I don't have to do that!

I'm really enjoying your posts. You should write a blog! It sounds like you are making excellent progress in such a short amount of time. And great job talking to Gracie, telling her stories, etc. I also did that with Henry and thought it was really helpful. Talk, sing, whatever you have to do!

Hmmm...that's an idea considering I've been writing in a notebook to pass the time trying to give her space...trying to chronicle what happens each day - successes and challenges so hopefully I can look back one day and see just how far she has come.

How is Jerzi doing? I've been thinking about you guys! I need to find your thread again.

Stairs are not a problem going up over here (I caught her sneaking up to peek!) but the problem is I just can't get her to come UP with me...even on leash! How did you get Jerzi up? Grace freezes stone statue at the bottom. No treats or kind words do the trick for that so I let it go after trying since I don't want to overwhelm her with things I want her to do every day. I've been sleeping downstairs on the couch to be with her, but not tonight! I am going up to my bed, where she has the same exact bed in my room. My rep said if she whines, let her whine. Oh, how I hope I don't have to do that!

Jerzi is amazing! Thank you for asking. Well after putting paw on step, next paw on step etc...on her second day here I was up stairs getting ready and all of a sudden I heard something on the stairs, I'm like no way I am hearing things. I just stood there and waited and what to my eyes should appear but Jerzi standing right there! I was shocked! So so excited we did the happy dance all around the upstairs. She got so damn excited and proud she jumped up on my bed and was just tossing the pillows all around. You could just see see she was so impressed with her self! It was one of the greatest moments in my life. Guess she just wanted to be up there with me and decided she was going to do it.

Hmmm...that's an idea considering I've been writing in a notebook to pass the time trying to give her space...trying to chronicle what happens each day - successes and challenges so hopefully I can look back one day and see just how far she has come.

I can't wait to hear in the a.m how Grace did tonight!

Guest DMBFiredancer

I can't wait to hear in the a.m how Grace did tonight!

I am so glad to read Jerzi's stairs story! That gives me hope! I caught Grace at the bottom of the stairs when I peeked down before (our stairs are the kind that have 2 parts to them- where you get to one landing then turn a corner to go up 4 more to the top- not sure if not being ale to see all the way to where these things lead is what freaks her out now.) I am hoping the day comes where she does the same as Jerzi! (BTW, not sure if you remember from a past thread, but Jersey was another female choice for me! I am from NJ originally, but the name did not fit her personality....she is more Grace)

So...last night....my husband and I went upstairs...she stayed downstairs without a peep! Not a whimper or a whine or bark or anything! Trust me, like the Metallica song "Enter Sandman," I slept with one eye open last night....listening for any activity...and hoping for the best with Queen Cat Bela. Grace was muzzled, but Bela has the run of the house. Bela usually sleeps downstairs so of course I knew I was taking a bit of a risk there. Thankfully, no issues. Grace honestly seems so unphased by Bela that when Bela walks past her bed, Grace wont even pick her head up or even perk her ears. When I came downstairs, she got up off the bed while I was in the room, which was a huge deal. She will usually only get up if I am out of sight. We went outside and she enjoyed playing with her ball and bone again....funny how differently she acts in the yard when there's no wind and the big bad monster leaves are sleeping.

Here's happy dog playing this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyCeCM3X5Fs

Don't tell anyone, but I acted like a dog today out in the yard. Seriously, my neighbors that can see into our yard (about 7 houses can because our yard is backed up against the back neighbors) must think I am NUTSO. I got down on all fours and did downward dog to her like this: :ghplaybow Of course, I couldn't wag my tail, but I wish I could. The great thing is.....she did it back! We were face to face doing it.....TWICE! It was seriously so cute that it made me not care what the neighbors were thinking! Please tell me that posture is a good thing. I assume it means "I'm ready to play!" Hopefully it's not something else!

**NEWSFLASH! STOP THE PRESSES!**

I started writing this post while sitting on the ground outside while Grace was playing with the balls...then we both came inside when she was done and I ignored her and went straight upstairs. Guess who stood at the bottom of the stairs instead of going straight to her safe spot bed which she ALWAYS makes a beeline for after coming inside! AND.....guess who walked up the first set of stairs AND turned the corner to peek up the next part??? Whooooooo hoooooooo! Go Grace! Go Grace! Get yer stairs on! Go Grace! I tried not to make any sudden movements, just a few gentle rounds of "Good girl" She then proceeded back downstairs. That's ok....PROGRESS!!!!!

We also had progress with breakfast. She does not like to go near her food bowl if I am in the same room. Yesterday I sat at the bottom of the stairs (about 10 feet away from bowls) and it took her about 5 minutes, but eventually she went over and ate. I want to be able to be IN the kitchen at the same time as her eating so today I set her bowl down and stood at the kitchen counter with my ipad. I kept my head down, no eye contact, no talking. She crept close, then scurried back to her bed....crept again...scurried back. No food, just creepin' and scurrying. I stood my ground and stayed put. Sorry, kiddo...ya want to eat? You gotta feel comfy with ME there. So, I kept reading facebook and she slowly came in...gobbled a few bites, scurried back...gobbled a few bites...scurried back...you get the picture. If I even moved my leg or anything she would scurry back. That's ok, I've got all day, kiddo... After about 6 trips back and forth for gobbling, she finished breakfast. Progress once again.

Today's focuses will be:

1. Spending time with those big bad leaves again when the breeze blows this afternoon

2. Hoping for an upstairs visit (I assume I shouldn't push it? Just let her come when she's ready?)

3. Eating dinner with me being able to stand in kitchen

4. Another good day of walking on leash

5. Getting up off of bed for walk without me having to pick her up! (Oh, did I mention that? She STILL does not want to get up for walks when I put the leash on. I have to physically pick her up (praise for standing up after I pick her up, praise for taking one step off of safe bed, praise for two feet off, praise for all the way off...lather, rinse, repeat.)

6. Continued comfort level with us as far as petting. She has been coming up to me more and more outside for pets. She even KISSED ME on the face and licked my head this morning....I got all misty! Inside, she is VERY skittish around us....doesn't come up to us, runs to safe bed if she happens to be up and we walk close to her....hoping in time that changes.)

I guess that's it for now....

Wish us luck for more progress today. It sure is rewarding to see every little new act of bravery, no matter how tiny!

Guest RMarie

:yay Yay! Progress!!!!

I agree with Alicia, this/you would make a fantastic blog/blogger. Your sweet girl is coming out of her shell. Soon, your bond will be amazing!!! Keep up the excellent work!

get her some stuffies to play with in the house. a few with squeakers. she should get desensitized to noises by introducing her to them slowly.

re: stairs.... are they carpeted? give her time... she'll come up.... play with her and her stuffies inside... throw them around for her... closer to the steps... then you go up the steps and come back down... all part of play... she'll follow you in time... always talk to her, use her name, praise her, in a happy high pitch tone... get her comfortable to your voices...

Kissing is HUGE!!! you should be very happy and proud of her!!!

more playbows, treats, toys, and plenty of time.... you're on your way

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Sounds like things are going really well. Good job!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DMBFiredancer

get her some stuffies to play with in the house. a few with squeakers. she should get desensitized to noises by introducing her to them slowly.

re: stairs.... are they carpeted? give her time... she'll come up.... play with her and her stuffies inside... throw them around for her... closer to the steps... then you go up the steps and come back down... all part of play... she'll follow you in time... always talk to her, use her name, praise her, in a happy high pitch tone... get her comfortable to your voices...

Great idea about the stuffies, but I am hesitant to buy her stuffies as a toy because we do not want her to touch ours. We have a bench of childhood stuffies (ok, ok, some from adulthood too!) in our bedroom which includes our two favorites from childhood that are always on our bed. I have been told that I can train her to distinguish between HER stuffy toys and OUR off-limits stuffies, but that is not a chance I am willing to take. Not to sound like a weirdo, but I would be quite horrified seeing a stuffie of ours torn apart.

Stairs are carpeted. Downstairs is hardwood, which she is fine walking on. That could be something.

Thanks for the advice and kind words everyone!

The blog is a great idea, since I can make it into a book one day. I currently do a "Gratitude Blog" where each day I write things I am thankful for and even post pictures. At the end of each year I make it into a book using something called blog2print. It would sure be nice to have a book of her accomplishments! We will see if the motivation kicks my butt enough to start one.

Edited by DMBFiredancer

these dogs LOVE stuffies!!!! I'm quite surprised she knows what to do with the tennis balls, because the majority do not.

they do know stuffies and she will play with it, shake it, throw it around and pounce on it, and may even kill it. if you don't want your stuffies possibly damaged, put them high up somewhere she can't reach them. I lost a few stuffies I loved, but ultimately, it's all about the dogs and if it made them happy, I came to terms with the idea that there were worse things they could have damaged....

buy her some and put yours away... you won't regret it.... you'll see a whole new side to Grace....

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Guest lemon

Glad to hear she's doing so well! She's adorable and you can tell how much you love her, she found a great home.

On a side note- I was planning on creating a photobook for Tosh each year (Greyhound yearbook!) but I also created a facebook page for him to share/document stuff- do you know if you can create a book from a facebook page like you do for your blog using blog2print?

Edited by lemon

I am so glad to read Jerzi's stairs story! That gives me hope! I caught Grace at the bottom of the stairs when I peeked down before (our stairs are the kind that have 2 parts to them- where you get to one landing then turn a corner to go up 4 more to the top- not sure if not being ale to see all the way to where these things lead is what freaks her out now.) I am hoping the day comes where she does the same as Jerzi! (BTW, not sure if you remember from a past thread, but Jersey was another female choice for me! I am from NJ originally, but the name did not fit her personality....she is more Grace)

So...last night....my husband and I went upstairs...she stayed downstairs without a peep! Not a whimper or a whine or bark or anything! Trust me, like the Metallica song "Enter Sandman," I slept with one eye open last night....listening for any activity...and hoping for the best with Queen Cat Bela. Grace was muzzled, but Bela has the run of the house. Bela usually sleeps downstairs so of course I knew I was taking a bit of a risk there. Thankfully, no issues. Grace honestly seems so unphased by Bela that when Bela walks past her bed, Grace wont even pick her head up or even perk her ears. When I came downstairs, she got up off the bed while I was in the room, which was a huge deal. She will usually only get up if I am out of sight. We went outside and she enjoyed playing with her ball and bone again....funny how differently she acts in the yard when there's no wind and the big bad monster leaves are sleeping.

Here's happy dog playing this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyCeCM3X5Fs

Don't tell anyone, but I acted like a dog today out in the yard. Seriously, my neighbors that can see into our yard (about 7 houses can because our yard is backed up against the back neighbors) must think I am NUTSO. I got down on all fours and did downward dog to her like this: :ghplaybow Of course, I couldn't wag my tail, but I wish I could. The great thing is.....she did it back! We were face to face doing it.....TWICE! It was seriously so cute that it made me not care what the neighbors were thinking! Please tell me that posture is a good thing. I assume it means "I'm ready to play!" Hopefully it's not something else!

**NEWSFLASH! STOP THE PRESSES!**

I started writing this post while sitting on the ground outside while Grace was playing with the balls...then we both came inside when she was done and I ignored her and went straight upstairs. Guess who stood at the bottom of the stairs instead of going straight to her safe spot bed which she ALWAYS makes a beeline for after coming inside! AND.....guess who walked up the first set of stairs AND turned the corner to peek up the next part??? Whooooooo hoooooooo! Go Grace! Go Grace! Get yer stairs on! Go Grace! I tried not to make any sudden movements, just a few gentle rounds of "Good girl" She then proceeded back downstairs. That's ok....PROGRESS!!!!!

We also had progress with breakfast. She does not like to go near her food bowl if I am in the same room. Yesterday I sat at the bottom of the stairs (about 10 feet away from bowls) and it took her about 5 minutes, but eventually she went over and ate. I want to be able to be IN the kitchen at the same time as her eating so today I set her bowl down and stood at the kitchen counter with my ipad. I kept my head down, no eye contact, no talking. She crept close, then scurried back to her bed....crept again...scurried back. No food, just creepin' and scurrying. I stood my ground and stayed put. Sorry, kiddo...ya want to eat? You gotta feel comfy with ME there. So, I kept reading facebook and she slowly came in...gobbled a few bites, scurried back...gobbled a few bites...scurried back...you get the picture. If I even moved my leg or anything she would scurry back. That's ok, I've got all day, kiddo... After about 6 trips back and forth for gobbling, she finished breakfast. Progress once again.

Today's focuses will be:

1. Spending time with those big bad leaves again when the breeze blows this afternoon

2. Hoping for an upstairs visit (I assume I shouldn't push it? Just let her come when she's ready?)

3. Eating dinner with me being able to stand in kitchen

4. Another good day of walking on leash

5. Getting up off of bed for walk without me having to pick her up! (Oh, did I mention that? She STILL does not want to get up for walks when I put the leash on. I have to physically pick her up (praise for standing up after I pick her up, praise for taking one step off of safe bed, praise for two feet off, praise for all the way off...lather, rinse, repeat.)

6. Continued comfort level with us as far as petting. She has been coming up to me more and more outside for pets. She even KISSED ME on the face and licked my head this morning....I got all misty! Inside, she is VERY skittish around us....doesn't come up to us, runs to safe bed if she happens to be up and we walk close to her....hoping in time that changes.)

I guess that's it for now....

Wish us luck for more progress today. It sure is rewarding to see every little new act of bravery, no matter how tiny!

Debbie your amazing! I am so happy to read all of this progress today! From all that I have read before adopting our girl it sounds like you have total control and know exactly what you are doing. Isn't it amazing when they discover and or do things on there own for the first time? It just does something to my heart every time Jerzi has a first at something. The stairs! That's huge, you wait she will be looking for you up there my friend. Great idea not to give into the not eating well your in the kitchen. See it's that no nonsense attitude, it does help.

I do remember the post about you liking Jerzis name but until you mentioned it I had know idea this was you! I am sure you will have more progress today! I will be waiting for our eveing report. Grace is so lucky to have you. You truly are bringing her out of her shell and seeing such improvents in just a few days!

You girls have a great day!

Guest DMBFiredancer

Glad to hear she's doing so well! She's adorable and you can tell how much you love her, she found a great home.

On a side note- I was planning on creating a photobook for Tosh each year (Greyhound yearbook!) but I also created a facebook page for him to share/document stuff- do you know if you can create a book from a facebook page like you do for your blog using blog2print?

I don't think there is anything for facebook, sadly. That would be cool.

Guest DMBFiredancer

Ah.....it is Big Monster Leaves Blowing in the Wind therapy time here at Grace's house.

We had to move a small palm of ours to the corner where the big monster leaves are, so that threw her for a loop this afternoon. Plus, now have an umbrella opened at our table (which is closer to the house.) Both of those yard changes had her confused, so she decided to play the "I'm gonna stay far away from mommy and daddy" game. That's fine, kiddo..."Get off that Safe Bed and Come a Little Closer to Mommy" therapy was earlier in the day. We have a different focus now....

In wanting to get away from us, look where she decided to hang out:

93fab28b-85de-4760-9ed3-43bfa72d2f9b.jpg

Yep. Behind the palm right under the big monster leaves blowing in the wind. She is laying back there now...hopefully getting used to the monsters as I talk to her about how they aren't going to hurt her. :)

I'm shocked....her safe bed is over here same place it was yesterday and I'm in the same spot I was in...I figured she'd lay here again. Guess it is good she's close to the monsters! Face yo fears, girl!