Eating Earthworms

My iggy Tessa loves to eat the occasional earthworm. You know, the dead ones that left their dirt homes to die on the patio.

Even the birds don't bother eating.

Tessa loves them although "chewing" is difficult with only 2 teeth.

Is there any harm in Tessa eating earthworms? We don't use any lawn chemicals so I guess you could call these "free range" earthworms.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'll be interested in the answer to this one because Sam likes dried earthworms, too.

So far, the only thing I've worried about is the enamel on his teeth when he scrapes the worms off the concrete.

(He also likes mulberries that have fallen from the tree and glued themselves to the concrete.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

And all I've got in my head is:

"Nobody loves me, everybody hates me;

Think I'll go eat worms!

Long thin skinny ones, big fat furry ones,

I'll eat them and throw their skins away!

Nobody knows I eat worms all day!"

So I'm not very helpful I'm afraid.

And all I've got in my head is:

Think I'll go eat worms!

Long thin skinny ones, big fat furry ones,

I'll eat them and throw their skins away!

Nobody knows I eat worms all day!"

So I'm not very helpful I'm afraid.

RONG lyrics!

think I'll go eat some worms!

First you bite the head off,

then you bite the tail off,

then you throw the middle away!

Nobody knows that I can eat

thirty-five worms a day!"

Guest PiagetsMom

My girl, Piaget, used to love to eat the worms left on the driveway in the morning. That, and the dried bird poop on the pool deck :puke And, ironically enough, she was my very picky eater :huh

As far as I know, they never bothered her in any way, but we'd always joke about how she couldn't wait to go out the back door in the morning for her "buffet" :lol

Zema LOVED sun-dried earthworms. If you took her for a walk after it had rained (or folks in the ritzy 'hood had had their sprinklers on) and then dried out, she'd be head down, scooping them in one after the other. Never seemed to cause a problem. Made me wonder what they tasted like but I never did try one myself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Worms contain protein comparable to the protein you would receive from consuming eggs and cow's milk, and the Yekuana people believe they have some medicinal uses as well. They give worms to people suffering from malaria and to women who have just given birth. Worms and cassava are all a woman eats, in fact, for a month after delivery. The Royal Society study also found that earthworms contain significant amounts of calcium, similar to what you would get from cow's milk and cheese. Earthworms are also a source of iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and copper.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/472699-worms-as-a-food-source-for-humans/#ixzz2TW1iGgvx

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Idol ate them still wiggling.

:lol Bailey used to bite live ones in half and then smear her whole body all over them.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

No harm.

My last dog, Kramer, used to suck nightcrawlers out of the ground like spaghetti! It was disgusting and funny at the same time. I asked the vet, and they said it was OK (if gross). Well, one night good old Kramer barfed. And I didn't have my glasses on...as I bent over to clean it up, the pile appeared to be MOVING. Horrified, I put my glasses on. Wish I hadn't, as it was a bunch of still alive really, really big nightcrawlers!

I didn't let him partake after that!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

No harm.

My last dog, Kramer, used to suck nightcrawlers out of the ground like spaghetti! It was disgusting and funny at the same time. I asked the vet, and they said it was OK (if gross). Well, one night good old Kramer barfed. And I didn't have my glasses on...as I bent over to clean it up, the pile appeared to be MOVING. Horrified, I put my glasses on. Wish I hadn't, as it was a bunch of still alive really, really big nightcrawlers!

I didn't let him partake after that!

:yikes:sick

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

as to the lyric...http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/games/songs/childrens/worms.htm

we sang something similar to version 5 here in the ny area!

these dogs aren't sleeping during "bizarre foods", they're taking it in. annie eats grubs, maybe some earthworms too...she's been pretty busy chowing down in the yard! evidence: dirty dog water when she comes in to wash them down!

If Angel Suze had scarfed up big, fat nightcrawlers, I could understand the attraction, but we just don't seem to have many of those around here for some reason. Let some regular old itty bitty worms try to escape a good old FL downpour, then dry out on the sidewalk, well Suze was all over those; scraping them off the sidewalk with her incisors! They hardly seemed worth the trouble to me, but Suze thought they were delish! We all slept better at night knowing that no dried worms were lurking on our sidewalks! :lol

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I wonder if worms..................get worms. :puke

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Katie doesn't eat them, but little Pixie does. Only the really dry ones, though. And it's kind of cute to see her (at 11 inches high and long) with a three inch worm hanging out of her mouth. It always makes me think of a cigarette dangling out of a movie star's mouth back in the old days.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

My bridge girl Lucky loved june bugs. When we'd walk she spent the time jumping up & catching the bugs on the fly. The vet said it wouldn't hurt but he wouldn't try one. Then Lucky my first greys to eat them too. These bugs crunch where at least worms don't!

My whippet mixes--Twister and her sister, Shelby--loved earthworms in all stages. Twister especially loved digging for live ones. After a rain, if their dead little earthworm bodies were still soft and squishy the girls would mash them with their paws and roll in them. If they were crunchewy, they were at the perfect stage for eating. They would peel them off the pavement and eat them as fast as they could, kind of like a game. I could see each of them trying to get more than her sister. When I took them for a walk it would amuse all the neighbors to see them peeling crunchewy earthworms from their driveway when I stopped to chat. Some of them even commented that I should stop by more often so they didn't have to get the dead worms off the driveway themselves.

Funny thing, they would never eat them in their dead but squishy stage. They liked for them to age to the crunchewy stage before they would eat them.

The vet said it wouldn't hurt a thing, as long as there were no pesticides involved. Twister lived to almost 15 and Shelby lived to 16 years, nine months -- not bad for 50 pound whippet/labrador mixes.

Edited by joejoesmom

Before tonight I would think all of your hounds are goofy but, my girl ate one this evening after she rolled in it-yuck! She now has worm breath-ugh. I'm not worried about her getting ill but, I will be brushing her teeth before she climbs into bed with me tonight!!