Prayers Please!

Guest katieandpadfoot

Guest Nycelle

I am so sorry to hear this - we are continuing our prayers for Padfoot and your whole family.

I am still praying for Padfoot and you and your family-that the peace of the Good Shepherd floods over ya'll during this terrible storm. You are very brave. Padfoot is extremely blessed to have a mom like you that puts giving him love and being there for him above all else with no regard for the pain and anguish you experience. Somehow, somehow, as horrible as this is I know good will eventually come out of this. Padfoot is just too special for it not to. Somethings you just know even if you can't understand them. Please give him a kiss for me and tell him we all love him.

This says everything I wish I could have put so eloquently.

Bless you all.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So very sorry for the diagnosis. Keeping you and Padfoot in my thoughts and prayers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I've been through this whole cancer thing three times now...I feel the same, that I won't allow my animals to suffer so I can keep them longer...we chose the same course of treatment with the last two as you did. People say you know when the time is right. I've never felt that yet! Just that the pain and suffering was outweighing the quality of life. Enjoy your days and love him til it hurts. Hugs.

It sounds to me you made a very well thought out and loving decision that will be best for Padfoot. I am just so sorry you are dealing with this. You will be in my thoughts.

I'm so sorry for the diagnosis.

I didn't have anyone with lymphoma, I had OS. I went the amp and chemo route with her and she had a very happy 6 months. She left me when OS hit another leg. She couldn't survive on just 2 legs.

But she was happy, painfree and enjoyed life to the fullest.

I had three with hemangio. I didn't have a chance to given them any extra time. I lost my first that night, I lost another within 6 days, and another within 3 weeks.

Please remember........whatever choice you make, it's because you love him. No choice is wrong.

Are you anywhere near OSU? Dr. Couto is a greyhound oncologist. (ok, he's a vet oncologist but he specializes in greyhounds.)

Guest kaiandsam

So sorry to hear about Padfoots's diagnosis. Praying for you and hoping you make lots of good memories in the time you have together. :heart

I am so sorry for all of you. Each of us has to make the decision we feel is right for us and the situation. I can tell from your posts how hard this has been for you. I'll be sending lots of prayers for all of you.

Enjoy each day; it is a blessing.

Love each other fully and you all will get through this.

Padfoot is blessed to have such a loving forever home.

:bighug

oh no :( :( I'm so very sorry :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• 4 weeks later...
Guest katieandpadfoot

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give a pupdate...He is on prednisone and doing pretty well. The only major issues, is loose poop, and some weight loss. We can't give him a high fat diet because he has low grade pancreatitis. We do have him on meds to help the poop but it doesn't seem to be working very well anymore. He is eating like a champ. He seems like he is not in pain(on a little bit of pain meds) He does play every now and then, and always excited to go for a walk or ride in the car. We are enjoying every single day we have with him, and giving him anything he could want.

I do have a question for everyone, we do have another gray...her name is Katie. They are not from the same litter, but they are the same age. They have lived together with us for over 4 years now. They have never really been apart. We are not sure how to handle things when we put him down, in regards to her. I know that dogs morn just like we do. But how do we help her understand that he is gone and not coming back. I have thoughts of all different things, that I could possibly do, but I don't want to tramatize her either....she is very sensitive. Any idea's or advice would help!!! I know every dog is different, and that she will do what she needs to do. But I don't want her to get to depressed, and then we have a problem with her not wanting to be alone, or scared.

Thanks again to everyone for all your advice and help!!

Have you tried boiled meat?

Many will have different thoughts about Katie but my personal experience and opinion is to have her close so once he is sent off, she can sniff him and know he is gone. I would never have the surviving one witness the euthanasia.

:grouphug

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest katieandpadfoot

Hi Burpdog!!

We are currently doing boiled chicken, and rice, along with some RX food for gastro proplem pups. Your thought on Katie is one of the big ones we are considering. Thanks so much!!

Having just lost a dog to something sorta/kinda similar in November.... Jack had intestinal lymphangiectasia...I know what you are going through. Jack had a mass, which they removed, it was'clogged lymphatics'. No cancer, but he was on pred, too....

I am so sorry you have to go through this. Jack was only 7 years old. It's hard. :(

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Have you tried boiled meat?

Many will have different thoughts about Katie but my personal experience and opinion is to have her close so once he is sent off, she can sniff him and know he is gone. I would never have the surviving one witness the euthanasia.

:grouphug

we've done 3 at home and had the surviving dog right there when it was done (first one was our Lab Chester, and our Schipperke Captain looked on). Nube was there for Rainey and Larry for Nube. Never a hint of a problem, thankfully. And they were able to sniff after (although neither really did). Both boys actually were HAPPIER after the other was gone, surprisingly (we were very lucky).

sending hugs. :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Glad to hear he's doing well right now. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Just sending hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No advice, but :grouphug. I hope he has a lot of good days left.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Glad to hear Padfoot is doing pretty well. Here's a previous thread that may help with your question about Katie. I posted about a recent experience with a client's dogs in post #28. I hope you have a lot of quality time left and won't have to make that decision anytime soon.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg