Prayers Please!

Guest katieandpadfoot

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest katieandpadfoot

I'm still waiting for the cytology report to come back. I'll post as soon as I know anything. Thank you to everyone for posting and keeping my boy in your thoughts. PS. Waiting stinks.

Guest katieandpadfoot

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give everyone a pupdate on Padfoot. He has been diagnosed with GI Lymphoma cancer. They have told me with surgery and chemo he may have a year. We are going over all our options to see what is best for him. Like I said before he is our first Greyhound, and actually our first pet. We have never gone through anything like this before, and we aren't sure where to turn or advice or help. Does anyone have any experience with lymphoma in greys? Is it wrong to put him through surgery and chemo, for a year. Is it wrong not to? Or do one without the other? So many questions that are so hard to answer. Thanks again everyone in advance.

Guest bernadette

I have no advice, I've not been through this but I wanted to send you our best wishes.

ETA: May I ask what symptoms Padfoot was showing- how did you now something was not right?

Edited by bernadette

I can't help with advice but wanted to send along some hugs for you and scritchies for your good pupper. I'm sorry the diagnosis wasn't better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No advice to offer, but I hope you find some answers. I'm so sorry it turned out this way and pray that something reasonable can be done. :grouphug:hope

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Scouts_mom

I would do a search on this site for lymphoma.

I am so very sorry for you and Padfoot. Spoil him rotten and treasure every day you have with him.

I'm so sorry it wasn't better news. I hope you have lots of time still to spoil him.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

What might help to make your decision easier is to have thoracic chest radiographs and an ultrasound done making sure this cancer hasn't already spread. If the tumor appears to be isolated I personally would pursue the surgery. I would only have a boarded surgeon perform the surgery at a 24 hr facility. Please remember that these guys need Amicar to prevent post surgery bleeding.

Edited by tbhounds

What might help to make your decision easier is to have thoracic chest radiographs and an ultrasound done making sure this cancer hasn't already spread. If the tumor appears to be isolated I personally would pursue the surgery. I would only have a boarded surgeon perform the surgery at a 24 hr facility. Please remember that these guys need Amicar to prevent post surgery bleeding.

This is good advice. If a pup has another year, that is a long a time for them as they only live for the day. It will depend on the results of the above tests whether surgery is viable though and I personally would reach out to Dr. Coutu's team at OSU if you have not already.

I am sorry about the diagnosis. I truly wish it was better news for you and Padfoot.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I had a grey with GI lymphoma, at the time the vet said chemo was not very successful in treating this type of cancer (many years ago). I treated Flash with meds (primarily prednisone as I remember and meds for the diarrhea/stomach which I cannot recall) and he lived a good (positive quality of life) for about 8 months before I had to put him down. Times have changed and there are many more options available now, best of luck to you as you make your decision.

Linda, Keeva and Jack

Guest lynne893

I'm sorry for Padfoot's diagnosis. Our little Timber was dx with GI lymphoma in 2009. She was 9 1/2. But by the time she was dx, she had symptoms for 7 months and had lost a lot of weight. It took forever to figure out what was wrong and the diagnosis happened almost by accident.

At her age, our budget situation and the fact that she HATED and FEARED going to the vet, the prospect of her having chemo and having 2-3 vet appts/wk... it was not the right option for us.

We opted to give her steroid to bring back her energy and appetite and she did miraculously well on prednisone for three weeks. But then the symptoms came back and her eyes told me it was "time." The damn hardest decision I've had to make.

Have you sought out a second opinion as to treatment options and prognosis?

In hindsight, people told us that greyhounds (and dogs in general) do very well on chemo-- it doesn't affect them the same way it does humans, they say-- and though we were told the same thing, that with chemo Timber might've had another year, I think since your pup is younger and seems to have been dx more quickly before the disease progressed, if you can afford it you might consider surgery/chemo.

Whatever you decide, you will make your decision with love and best intentions. My only solace sometimes is the expression that it's better to let a friend go "a day too early rather than a day too late" after they're suffering.

Most importantly, you love Padfoot, he feels that love, and he loves you in return. That's all you need, and everything else will be okay.

Good luck.

Love from,

Lynne Swiftie and Greta

:grouphug for you. :hope for your boy.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I am so, so sorry to hear this. It is just awful that you've been handed a cancer diagnosis in such a young dog so soon after adopting him.

The things already mentioned are good advice. To me, current progression of disease, overall heath / physical condition of the dog (aside from the cancer), as well as temperament are key factors in decision-making for a treatment protocol.

Please keep us ;posted on how he is doing.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest katieandpadfoot

Hi everyone,

Wanted to give a pupdate on Padfoot. We finally got to talk to an oncologist today. He said what we knew already, that with aggressive treatment, 25 weeks of chemo he may have a year, pobably less. I know this is long in a dogs life. We where also told the type of lymphoma that he has is the most aggressive, and fast growing he could get. Right now we have him on anti nausea meds, pain meds, and anti poop as I like to call it meds. He does seem pretty comfy, and relatively happy.

Padfoot is not a good going to the vet dog. Nor is he a good, put in a kennel dog either. Even more than that, he isn't a good separated from mommy dog either. With all this, we have decied to make him comfy, and happy for as long as we can. I'm sure there will be people who disagree with us. But I'm more worried about what will he think and feel, especially with me walking away and leaving him in a hospital for 3 or so days for surgery.

For those of you who have been following this thread I want to thank you for all your input and warm thoughts. He is our first grey and we are new to this, so everything thing that everyone wrote did help.

This choice has been one of the hardest I have Ever made. I have delt with cancer in my family, and people dying. But for humans we can talk and understand. For my boy he does not.

Like I said before he is my boy, my baby, and he picked me. I'm so not ready to loose him, he is still so young. But in my heart of hearts I can't put him through all of that. I think that would hurt me and him more.

We do have another grey a girl, we are worried how she will be without him. Someone asked me if I would get another grey after he is gone. I didn't even hesitate to say yes. When we are ready.

Other than my unconditional love and a whole lot of spoiling with whatever time we have left. I will keep my one last promise I have made to both my dogs. When there time comes, I will be right there at their head, so the last thing they see is me. I will not disgrace my dog by saying I can't handle being there when he is put down. I won't ever let him see me walk away. I love them to much, to do that.

Thanks again everyone out there who posted their advice, hopes, and warm thoughts. It means more than you know.

Sorry to hear about Padfoot's diagnosis and the decisions you're having to make. It sounds like you've thought it through and will make the best choice for him. There are no right or wrong answers in situations like this. If you opt not to do the surgery and IV chemo, has the oncologist talked about options for less aggressive oral chemo meds that may help slow the cancer? I know of a couple dogs who had less aggressive forms of GI lymphoma who did well on pred and Leukeran. I'm not sure if this approach is an option for Padfoot since he actually has a mass present, but might be worth discussing with the oncologist.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest katieandpadfoot

We have talked about putting him on prednisone, and that is something wel are willing to do. So hopefully tomorrow we will start him on that.

We have talked about putting him on prednisone, and that is something wel are willing to do. So hopefully tomorrow we will start him on that.

I hope the prednisone gives him some quality time. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I am still praying for Padfoot and you and your family-that the peace of the Good Shepherd floods over ya'll during this terrible storm. You are very brave. Padfoot is extremely blessed to have a mom like you that puts giving him love and being there for him above all else with no regard for the pain and anguish you experience. Somehow, somehow, as horrible as this is I know good will eventually come out of this. Padfoot is just too special for it not to. Somethings you just know even if you can't understand them. Please give him a kiss for me and tell him we all love him.

Edited by racindog

As another has wrote, there are no right answers when it comes to cancer. The path you choose for Padfoot is the path you believe is best for him and that is what is important. I do hope you both have many happy months remaining and make memories, take pictures and give him a lot of hugs. Don't spare a moment to show him your love and spoil him rotten.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I echo the above. There are no right or wrong answers, just those made out of love.

Is there by any chance a homecare vet in your area who can work with your main vet to manage Padfoot's care at home? That way he can avoid any upset and worry about going to the vet's office.

I know that you are going to make him so happy and comfortable and spoiled. Know that we are all here for you.