Just Started Tonight... 30 Minutes Ago

Guest 3greysinPA

Guest 3greysinPA

I know I have not posted here in a very long time.. but found that i quickly needed some support of others who Love their babies as much as I do. About 30 minutes ago while sitting in bed watching TV.. (while 3 dogs lay on their dog beds on the floor and one dog lay on the bed at my feet).. I notice a strange poopy/foul smell.. and quickly got realizing that this was not a normal dog blooper(fart).. and anyway.. quickly go over to Lisa (who till turn 14 this month) and notice the smell is coming from her.. So, I just gently moved her tail to the side and saw dark brown liquid running out of her anus. I quickly got a towel and well.. anyway.. a tiny bit maybe an ounce of something oozed out.. all liquid.. no stool.. but very smelly.. anyway.. now realized she is licking her anus and it is oozing again.. drip drip drip.

I'm crying as I type this and not doing so well.. my dogs are my kids too.. and I am very upset.. Any prayers for Lisa tonight would be appreciated.. We are going to vet first thing in the morning. :sad1

Edited to add: not sure if this was liquid stool or old blood.. weird color . weird smell..

Edited by 3greysinPA

hope it is just an anal gland problem, easily fixed

I once had a dog that had problems with anal glands and we had them removed (I was not brave enough to clean the anal glands myself :puke :puke )

This sounds exactly like what Pal had, an infected anal gland. It's different from an impacted gland. A course or two of antibiotics should help.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Sounds like anal glands too ... nasty foul odor. :sick

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Anal gland stuff smells foul, as others have said - it's kind of poopy but fishy, if you know what I mean. If it's infected the smell can change a bit, too.

I hope that's all it is. But the very old can just leak, too. It may be a matter of simply managing her by 'poop proofing' her bedding or putting diapers on her when she is going to be resting for a long time. If it were neurological, I'd expect her lower back and hind legs to be affected too.

Let us know what the vet says!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest IrskasMom

I would think " Anal Gland " to . Keeping all my Fingers crossed for Lisa. Update a Weebit to early

Edited by IrskasMom

i used to help my friend who was a groomer by bathing dogs at her shop. one of my jobs, when bathing them, was to express the anal gland. holy stench- brown liquid crap. it turns my stomach when i think about it. many dogs will express it themself as they relieve themself. others need to be expressed, just talk to your vet and your vet will let you know if you need to follow up w/ a visit. but it sounds like she expressed herself. (in more ways than one!)

As others have mentioned, my bet is anal glands. Had a little dog with infected anal glands. Took some work to cure it but we did & she didn't have a repeat. She was approx 14-15 yo at the time.

Hope things go well this morning & that your girl is better.

Edited by kudzu

Guest 3greysinPA

Whew... all is well.. she is OK.. anal gland is what vet said... antibiotics

... She is acting fine.. eating fine.. running around with all the rest of them.. like she is everyday..

we gave her lots of extra extra huggies and lovies today.. and she is quietly resting now.

I cannot say thank you for all the prayers, and love that was sent to her today. Thank you :beatheart