Cooper Has Osteo

Guest crazy4greys

Joanne, I've been thinking about you and Cooper so much, and it's breaking my heart. Dealing with the monster at any age is devastating, but six is SO young. And you know how I feel about Cooper---the George Clooney of Greyhounds. :beatheart I'm praying that you and your family have lots more quality time together.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm so sorry you received this dreadful diagnosis.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Can't tell you how sorry I am to hear this. Cancer is not nice. Our Nube (10.5 YO) made it just about 2 months from diagnosis, had 3 radiation treatments, chemo (Cytoxan then added Palladia but that was stopped after only 2 doses as his appetite started to decline).

sending many hugs.

ps. try putting the pills in liver sausage. Only once did Nube snub that. I bought so much I should have had stock in Scott Peterson. :unsure I think in those 2 months I probably bought 20 lbs of it (no kidding).

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so very sorry about Cooper's diagnosis. Six is way too young. I hate osteo so much. Sending lots of :grouphug to your family and Cooper. Remember that you know your boy best. There is no "right" way of doing things with this disease - just do the best you can and for Cooper.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest BaltimoreHounds

I'm sorry, I just lost a 12.5 year old hound to osteo. It also started as a cracked nail that would not heal.

I was giving him tramadol with either PB or cream cheese. He really hated the taste of it. My poor boy :-(

I'm so sorry. Been there with our Callie. :cry1

:bighug

Edited by brindlebaby

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

I am so sorry about the diagnosis. So glad that your doc studied under Dr. Couto. Is she a GP vet or an oncologist?

It seems to me that I read somewhere that you are considering amputation. If you do decide on this surgery there are a few things you should know to help ensure a positive outcome:

Have the surgery done at a facility that has 24/7 ICU type care. This means that there is always a vet physically there and vet techs are constantly monitoring and watching the dog 24 hours a day.

Have the surgeon and ICU vets follow the OSU protocol. They can contact OSU for more information:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/

There may now be a fee but it is well worth it.

Be absolutely sure that your vets use Amicar (aminocaproic acid) the day of the surgery and for 5 days thereafter. The need for this drug is unique to greyhounds and is not used in any other dogs so vets are often not aware of it. It is a human drug and is obtained from human pharmacies. It is used to prevent post operative bleeding in humans and greyhounds. OSU can send more information on this to your vet. There is a little bit of info on this in OSU's paper on osteo in greyhounds. There is a whole paper on its use and why it is necessary but I can't seem to find it. Here is the paper on osteo:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/resources/freeresources/bonecancer/index.cfm

This is an early study on the bleeding issue but doesn't contain the most recent information on Amicar:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/resources/freeresources/greyhoundbleeders/index.cfm

Hugs to you and to Cooper. This is such a horrible thing to deal with.

Jane

Try chef-boy ardee mini ravioli to hide his pills in.

Make a micro slit in one of the pasta's..it almost self seals around the pill..put a bit of sauce on top.

I find serving on a china plate makes it seem more forbidden and therefore yummier ;)

Hugs to your boy

Some things I've used are peanut butter sandwich, pill pockets and marshmallows. The marshmallows work great. You just cut a slit in it, put the pill in and the marshmallow closes around it. They don't even know it's in there. If you're giving tiny pills, the miniature marshmallows will work.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

turkey or regular bacon kept emily consuming her pills. it gets difficult since their saliva changes and it's really difficult to pill a dog(i usually just shove pills down their throat). osteo of the shoulder(and any other bone ) is quite painful. i hope your pup stays pain free.

osteo stinks, totally unfair.

Guest crazy4greys

I am so sorry about the diagnosis. So glad that your doc studied under Dr. Couto. Is she a GP vet or an oncologist?

Hugs to you and to Cooper. This is such a horrible thing to deal with.

Jane

Jane, I'm not sure. I all I know is she studied under him and said that she would contact them for me and order meds if needed. I can ask her though. It is a good question!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and thoughts. For some silly reason, my DH can get Cooper to take his pills in peanut butter LOL. We g ot the xrays back. Chest is clear. I'm going to do more research and thinking over the weekend and then talk with the vets and make a decision on what to do and what is best for Cooper.

had Nube been younger we would have 100% done the amputation -- he was a good candidate. Unfortunately (or fortunately, since he was older and we got more time with him) his back end was so bad by the age he got it, amp was not an option.

a lot of folks here have had good results with amp. It's expensive though, so not an easy choice.

sending more hugs. I really, really feel for you. :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest crazy4greys

a lot of folks here have had good results with amp. It's expensive though, so not an easy choice.

Thanks....that's also part of the problem. It is breaking my heart that I may not be able to afford it :cry1:brokenheart

We went the amp route with Pinky, and while it has been expensive, it's been worth every penny for her to have such great quality of life. The experience has also brought us closer.

My angel Sutra was difficult to pill...our magic trick was canned whipped cream. If hold the pill between my thumb and forefinger, then spray some whippy cream on it and he'd take it right away. I'd spray more on my fingers right away as a chaser :) I'd open the fridge to get the can and he'd come running :heart

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Thanks....that's also part of the problem. It is breaking my heart that I may not be able to afford it :cry1:brokenheart

You might consider traveling to Ohio State-many of us, myself included, have traveled many miles to receive the best care anywhere and I found them insanely reasonable too.

Guest crazy4greys

You might consider traveling to Ohio State-many of us, myself included, have traveled many miles to receive the best care anywhere and I found them insanely reasonable too.

Thanks for the suggestion. Work is not allowing anytime off until Christmas week plus my son is having surgery the first week in December. I'm lucky I got those days off.

Please know that your inability to afford this is by no means seen as a reflection of the depth of love you have for him. I know that doesn't erase the pain of it. I just want you to know I do understand and I'm so sorry your having to make these decisions.

:grouphug

I'm so very sorry about Cooper's diagnosis, especially at such a young age. :(

Hopefully peanut butter, Pill Pockets, food suggestions or a liquid oral medication will continue working for Cooper since he's especially shy. One of our hounds caught on to the terrible taste of Tramadol when she eventually bit down on a Pill Pocket. Our second trick was to pull off 1/2 of a "capsule size" Pill Pocket to hide Tramadol in a smaller bite to swallow quickly. Hidden pill was given as 2nd or 3rd treat with a couple more non-pill treats in view/given thereafter. (Beef flavor is Pill Pockets' best seller.) When that finally stopped working, I went to my old stand by for the next 6 months, a pill popper: http://www.entirelyp...om/pillgun.html

I've used these pill popper tools with excellent success for decades for all my animals (including most difficult cats). This tool can really help, especially if administering many pills per day, and/or if nothing else works to help a hound swallow desperately needed pain medication.

Cooper and your family are in our thoughts...