When Does The Heart Heal...

Sheshe

Since last December I lost 3 sweet greys, Amadeus, Angel and my sweet Bella Rose. All were so special I can't even begin to say what is in my heart. But one dog, Amadeus took a peice of my soul with him. He passed 2 weeks before Christmas last year. I had asked him to wait until after Christmas so I could have one last holiday with him, but his body failed him, and he asked me to let him go. Here is the story of the most amazing grey I have ever known.

Greytalk is responsible for me getting this special pup. I had gotten Aria, another special greyhound and her foster mother told me to join Greytalk. I joined and it was a lifesaver in so many ways. Well I found out about a special event named Dewey. I went and met some awesome people. I met a lady named Debbie. She became a fast freind. She sent out an email one day about this greyhound that was going to be put down because the group deemed him unadoptable. I sent an email back asking her to contact the group and tell them I wanted this dog no questions asked. It took a lot on her part to get them to release him to me, but she prevailed. When my husband called that day, I told him..Honey we have a new grey.....ok....We have to get him Saturday.....ok....We have to drive to Ohio to pick him up.....ok. (just want to insert here that I have the very best hubby). So began my adventure. On the way back from Ohio I named this beautiful blue fawn Amadeus. It fit in with Aria and it just seemed to fit him.

Amadeus was such a special boy, right from the start he had a part of me. The only thing that was wrong with him was he hated crating. The other families crated him 12 to 14 hours a day. At first I started crating him, but after the 3rd day of cleaning up poop and pee and running out of comforters I took the advice of Greytalk and baby gated him and Aria in the living room. WOW no more problems. To say that Amadeus was clumsy was an understatement. My Vet took pitty on me and taught me a lot about first aid and even kept me suppied with the not so normal things that come in a first aid kit.

Amadeus became a contant companion, he was the gentle alpha on my house and taught all the new fosters who was boss, even when he lost all his teeth to disease. He was also my confidant and I would tell him secrets I would tell noone else. I often cried into his fur when things hurt me and we also ran and laughed together at the school yard in our neigborhood. Amdadeus stayed with me until he was 14. Everyday I would change bandages, put a heat pad on him, give him meds and snuggle with him. Even after his hind legs started giving out he would valiantly climb the stairs evernight to be with his momma. I am feeling a litte nostalgic today and he has been on my heart a lot this week. Thank you for again listening to his story....

Ami with Angel (brindle and Aria)

theAs.jpg

Ami at Dewey

Amadeusintheroom.jpg

My fav picture

SheilaandAmi.jpg

Picking him up in Ohio

Withhisnewfamilyjpg1a.jpg

The most handsome grey of all

DSC_0112-1.jpg

Edited by Sheshe

Sheila
Loved by

Mozart, Sherri, Xavier, McCleary, Tigger. Amelia and 2 Salukis Poppy and Zarah

{{{{{{{{{{Sheila}}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I remember seeing posts on your beautiful hounds....

I don't think the heart ever heals when you lose one that had a particularly special bond with you......I think we just have to thank God for the other greys in our lives who bring us joy and happiness....and we honor the memory of that special one by always having our homes open to a hound or two.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest undergreysspell

I don't know that the heart ever heals, but it does seem to get larger and larger with time to allow the ones gone to take a bit and still have enough room left for the ones who come later to be loved and cherished as well. I'm sorry you've had such a bad year, things will never be the same, but your heart will open up and grow.

:grouphug I miss all of mine for different reasons. A few were extra special. When one goes, a hole opens up and when the next one comes, they fill a little bit of that hole so my heart is never totally destroyed.

It doesn't matter if they are with you 3 months or many years. It just hurts. I know I'll see them again. It's the only thing that keeps me going.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest IrskasMom

:grouphug I miss all of mine for different reasons. A few were extra special. When one goes, a hole opens up and when the next one comes, they fill a little bit of that hole so my heart is never totally destroyed.

It doesn't matter if they are with you 3 months or many years. It just hurts. I know I'll see them again. It's the only thing that keeps me going.

Diane said it well . You miss them for different Reason's . To this Day , it has been 7 Years ago, that I lost my Irska to Osteo. I still second guess myself and get tearyeyed when I talk and think about him.

I've lost three since last November, so I understand your pain. They are all so special, but Nadia, my beautiful Duchess of Blackwood, took a huge piece of my heart with her. Myun came and, as Diane said, filled part of that hole.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Sheila,

Amadeus and you had a very special bond and it's obvious you still miss him so. They say time heals all wounds and I just don't know. We have lost two this year fairly close together and while we knew we were fighting a battle with Charlie, his passing has torn our world apart. And then sweet gentle Jack leaving just capped it off as unfair as he did not have a mean bone in his body and yet he only live to 8.5yrs, 3 of those with us. We understand another Grey definitely helps fill the gapping hole as Diane wrote, however time will never make you forget that special pup who became that special one. Amadeus was a beautiful boy and you were both lucky to have found one another.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I understand your situation completely. Just not sure about how we get over these wonderful animals or if we every will, I sure know that I have not. I think everyone's situation is different but the feelings are very similiar. Best of luck to you and yours.

Sheila,

Amadeus and you had a very special bond and it's obvious you still miss him so. They say time heals all wounds and I just don't know. We have lost two this year fairly close together and while we knew we were fighting a battle with Charlie, his passing has torn our world apart. And then sweet gentle Jack leaving just capped it off as unfair as he did not have a mean bone in his body and yet he only live to 8.5yrs, 3 of those with us. We understand another Grey definitely helps fill the gapping hole as Diane wrote, however time will never make you forget that special pup who became that special one. Amadeus was a beautiful boy and you were both lucky to have found one another.

I think maybe loosing three within a short time put me over the edge. I have since adopted two older brood moms. I know that they can have many years with me or just a few, but they needed me and I needed them. I just sometimes get so overwhelmed with the love I feel for Ami. I know he is at the rainbow bridge making sure everything is to his liking, or knowing him he has found a big tree and is just laying in the sun and waiting for the rest of us.

Sheila
Loved by

I don't think you ever heal. Just when you think you are, someone says or asks something about that dog and you hurt all over again. When a new dog comes, it does not replace the one you lost, he just fills the hole in your heart and makes room to love another. And you will love another, because you love dogs. There are so many out there who could be in your home, being safe and secure from harm.

We are still hurting from the loss of our little American Idol. I cannot even type this without crying.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I know how you are feeling :( :( :(

one of my favorite sayings is this:

It came to me that every time I lose a dog, they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog and I will become as generous and loving as they are.

sending you many, many hugs :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I don't think the heart ever fully heals, but with that you will remember them always and forever. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest greytbig

We lost Snappy just three weeks ago. He was not my first, nor my last. (We had Fred already and got the puppy, Micki two weeks ago) I cry daily over losing him. Sometimes, like yesterday, I cry many times throughout the day. Sometimes it is tears only, but sometimes it is out loud wailing. I know, from experience, that it does get easier with the passing of time, but I believe Snappy is going to be a little harder to "get over". I loved all of them very much, but Snappy was "bigger than life". There are so many things that are routine to our days. I never realized what a huge part of even the simplest things involved Snappy in some way. Little Micki (my 3 month old "heart healer") is a wonderful source of much needed laughter in this house. I like to think that perhaps Snappy had a paw in getting us together. One thing that is a comfort to me is my belief that I will see him again. Try to think about that when you're feeling the sadness creeping in. It may bring you some comfort, as well.

I think the answer, perhaps, is when we join them at the bridge. I don't know that a day goes by that I don't miss my babies. And indulging in even a minute of that ache brings tears. I will miss them until I join them.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

It takes as long as it takes, I guess. I still find myself suddenly caught, and sob and wail over Wabi, gone just over a year, and choke up over the loss of my first-best-friend Hobie, who's been gone for 9 years. They do make way for new loves, but they never quite let go, I think. I'd rather bear the scars than lose the memories though, if that's the trade off.

I try to remember Wabi's lesson, which was to live life with joy in the moment and with joyful anticipation of the next one, despite any current pain or annoyance. It seems disloyal to her, somehow, to spend the time thinking of her in sadness rather than in happiness. Maybe that idea can help you, too?

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

It will be a year in December. I had him for almost 10 years. I do love him more each day, and I know he is with me in spirit. Some days stronger than others. I so understand not letting the sadness overrule the joy and love he showed me. I do have one girl, Mia who is so like him in so many ways. She is 8 and a brood mom so she takes her retirement seriously. Thank you all for your messages.

Sheila
Loved by

Wow. I only lost one grey, Alan, my heart dog and it was such a difficult journey for me. Amadeus and Alan look a lot alike. (say that 5x fast). I am so sorry for your pain. When Alan passed, someone from greytalk wrote to me: "Ultimately, though very slowly, the sting and pain of the tragedy of their passing is replaced by the realization that their story is one of triumph and success. (Alan) was loved and cread for his whole life right to the end. That is the end-goal for me in adopting this precious breed: to fill their lives with contentment and joy, and you did that. In the end, (Alan's) story was a happy one. Putting your greys' names in their, I hope this helps you as it has helped me. xoxo